You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Envelope warping, object-distort, perspective tool or fisheye tool?

• Staff
35 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

If it is related with my post then sorry.

It was related to baiting and replies to and from a member of the forums who has now been banned, I do not think you have anything to apologise for, but thanks anyway. Let's keep this on topic now. Enough said.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

It was related to baiting and replies to and from a member of the forums who has now been banned, I do not think you have anything to apologise for, but thanks anyway. Let's keep this on topic now. Enough said.

Agreed. Lets clear the board and the air and refresh our memories with the initial post then 🙂

When will Affinity Designer get an object-distort tool, a perspective tool, a fisheye too or an inset/outset path tool? These are basic features for doing creative work, especially with display text (see attached jpg). As it is, if I need to do anything like this I have to use free open-source apps like Inkscape or NeoDraw (part of the NeoOffice suite), both of which are harder to use but do way more than Affinity Designer.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

8 hours ago, Tiagosa said:

Am I correct to understand that that's no development on this feature for the past 5 years?

No, because noone outside of Serif knows. It's just not there yet.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...

image.png.f61c25c4fd8332501d360138b30e7755.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, Tiagosa said:

I assume this post it's only popular among the users, not the Serif team. Am I correct to understand that that's no development on this feature for the past 5 years?

Maybe it is ready for release but being kept back for AD 2.0.

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

Maybe it is ready for release but being kept back for AD 2.0.

Perhaps planned for the paid upgrade to version 2.0 - and that is perfectly fine. Designer alone would be a perfect value for money deal even if Serif double the price... IF they add some professional vector features and some slight feature overlap with Photo/Publisher.

But if we then still have to wait another 5-6 year until version 3.0 for more needed vector features... nah.

If you have the slightest commercial interest in Designer as a vector drawing program this uncertainty will play a major, major part in you decision.

Personally, I think once 2.x is released, the major version numbers will come much sooner than the time it has/is taken/taking to get through v.1.

I'm not saying that there will be all the things people desire in v.2, but from a perception viewpoint, Serif will need to move the version numbers along.

Some things people are requesting are low hanging fruit. Some are likely having the foundation worked on now (and have been).

I expect version 2 to tick a lot of people's boxes. 

I hope so. But until we see the ball rolling faster and see the stuff, we just have hopes and dreams. And competing products.

I can see that I had access to the envelope, blend and extrusion tools since late 1991 in CorelDRAW 2.0 that was not even three years old at the time. 29 long years ago. It was actually Corel that made me love vector drawing even though I used Illustrator ever since at work. I remember these features in particular - envelope and blend served me well ever since, made a lot possible and a lot of workflows amazingly FASTER!

Serif released their first version of Serif DrawPlus two years later in 1993 but there is not much evidence of that in Affinity Designers draw persona after five years of development. 

Now here is a couple of wonderful toolbar button and more for the dreamers:

image.png.595aed47f83fc4d4dc903d1a9ce48857.png image.png.e53113efa20707c19d0ccae0bd4fd498.png

image.png.0df858977cd4d7bbda23d3e1148b30e0.png    image.png

image.png.a4b50b7d68cdfa580702760661628e0f.png

Yes. But to be fair, it was a single application made for a single OS. As well, there were functions not in CD during the 1.x to 2.x--or until version 7 (1996) that was in AD from the get-go. I'm thinking specifically of the context toolbar but there were other things, too.

I started using CD at version 1.1 (1989), and while there was great advancement in those early days, how long did it take to have color management (10 years, 1999). Then how long until it actually worked (11 years or so, 2010).

Even fonts were issues. I don't know many many PostScript files I fixed at a service bureau, but there was a reason why service bureaus hated CorelDraw files.

You show the F/R panel. It's great. But how long did we suffer with the tabbed F/R interface? I used a script because it was both faster and more reliable. And should we talk about the crap that began with version 2019 and more/different crap with 2020?

I get what you are doing (I think) with the comparison. However, having been a CD user so long, I also understand that Corel did make advancements rapidly (at first). However, some of those things have never worked well and have not seen any love (or nearly none) in all that time.

And while it is a type of sport to goad Serif, even with AD's slow advancement, if you ever worked directly with Corel, well, I know which company I would rather have worked with/for.

I worked with all kinds of horrible early versions - never directly with companies though - but I still finished my designs faster decades ago in those programs than I ever could with AD. Even including trouble, crashes and UI blunders. CorelDRAW actually found a recipe that made me want to draw. I really came from worse. It also taught me what computer software can do to help. Imagine Pixar robbed of perspective tools. 

Back in those days companies developed almost all features in-house. Affinity... it's pumped with algorithms and knowledge from other people and sources. LittleCMS fx. I refuse to believe Serif made the algorithms used in InPaint. I would like to see how many algorithms used in many features in Photo they actually thought up or made themselves. In AD I have a feeling they made boolean operators and expand stroke in-house...

They are not starting entirely from scratch - and they (should) have massive (!) experience with vector, bitmap and printing algorithms since the early nineties. The problem is they are sticking to a business model, geo-location and crew size that guarantees that the development of all those apps slows to a crawl. Implementing even low-hanging fruit will require many adjustments, alignments and updates. Software development is never ending juggling with Chinese vases.

We need a vector carrot in front of us. More than half of AD is bitmap features from Photo. Then subtract shape icons from Tools in the draw persona and there is not much left.

15 minutes ago, Jowday said:

...but I still finished my designs faster decades ago in those programs than I ever could with AD...

Which is one reason AD isn't my daily driver. Not because the speed at which the application operates per se. Rather the main issue for me is workflow plus a degree of missing capabilities. And considering my drawing needs are rather simple...

I don't doubt Serif will get there. It's more will I still be doing this stupid stuff when it does. I may simply retire and putz around the house and workshop next year. Computer usage will drop off like a rock at that point. 

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I don't doubt Serif will get there. It's more will I still be doing this stupid stuff when it does. I may simply retire and putz around the house and workshop next year. Computer usage will drop off like a rock at that point. 

I have the same thought in my head - and I have a few decades of slavery left before I can enjoy that particular situation. 🙂It just puts things in perspective. Time is limited and I do not want to crawl. So even for hobby use I had to park AD and use bloody expensive tools. 1 mio percent zoom does not help me much.

Best wishes from here when you make the switch. So you are a real handyman? I am trying to use my hands as I once did, but with a computer/any computer around me everywhere I use computers for creativity more than anything. A few retired creatives I know (80+ !!) are more creative than ever. It is like all their mental energy, experience skills and ideas are joined in a Death Star laser. And they only make something they want to make. I enjoy visiting them very much. I always return inspired.

Real? Handyman? Nah, neither handy nor real...except a real pita.

I don't know how well I'll do because of the stroke a year ago, but I've done hand tool woodworking for as long as I can remember. 

My grand plan was to play a whole lotta golf and make things in the shop when I retired. I've tried (do try) to chip and putt in the backyard, but that's not working out so well. I've made some simple things in the shop with limited success (but I'm slower at it than a 5 year old that doesn't know anything).

If nothing else, it's good physical therapy. And as long as I keep trying, I don't feel the need to sell off my hand tools...

2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I don't know how well I'll do because of the stroke a year ago, but I've done hand tool woodworking for as long as I can remember. 

My grand plan was to play a whole lotta golf and make things in the shop when I retired. I've tried (do try) to chip and putt in the backyard, but that's not working out so well. I've made some simple things in the shop with limited success (but I'm slower at it than a 5 year old that doesn't know anything).

If nothing else, it's good physical therapy. And as long as I keep trying, I don't feel the need to sell off my hand tools...

Oh man, a stroke can do nasty stuff to you - but I have seen quite a few remarkable recoveries. I guess you know more than me - for many reasons - why one shouldn't waste a second on this earth and golf and hand tool woodworking sound like fresh air, physical movement and creativity. Great plan.

When the day comes where energy for the above is low, you can still tell stories 😄

1 hour ago, natv said:

Is there a better way to upvote or request this, this thread is so many years old, does Serif read these posts?

They do read it - so it is important that you share your feature request(s) here as well. 

I like Designer and find it quite comfortable to use, but to me there are 3 features that I wish to see that would make it more feature complete for what I like to do with vectors:

1) A raster-to-vector converter. I am primarily a raster artist, so the way I like to work is drawing with pixels first. Being able to convert my Photo sketches into vectors for me to start working with vectors is a great time saver over having to retrace everything from scratch. Right now I am using Inkscape to compensate for this, but the value of Designer would greatly improve with this feature alone.

2) A shape builder tool. Really, it just makes things easier all around when working than just using regular boolean operations.

3) Persective transformation tools that don't rasterize the vectors like this thread mentions. Just makes perspective work a lot easier.

Fix those 3 and I will be more than content for my type of projects. 🥳

On 4/2/2015 at 8:00 PM, MEB said:

Hi @TomFulery,

They are already on our roadmap

We are aware there's still some basic features missing but Affinity Designer is still also very recent. It's not possible to implement everything at once. Please bear with us while we work on it.

I am still needing to pay for Illustrator 5 years later as I need it. What happened to the roadmap or even the communication? I would love to advocate for Designer but not fit for purpose for my professional work. ☹️

• Staff

Hi adgr,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Regarding the roadmap, Serif tried to be more transparent/open about the development plans from the beginning however some users had trouble understanding/accepting the (inevitable) changes and delays that happen along the process and so we end up removing it to avoid causing false expectations. We still do provide information about new features/changes (refer to the logs published along the Beta builds) and a Customer Beta (available to all customers which can be downloaded from the Beta section in our Forums) so users can try them and provide feedback while they are still being worked/in development. Occasionally some developers also announce/demo some new features in the Forums.

35 minutes ago, jgarza said:

... use XARA Designer PRO - it not as pretty but has better color management and tools -AND vector distort / envelope.

Xara applications ARE NOT color managed in any way, shape or form. 

Color management has been a request for at least 20 years, though...

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Xara applications ARE NOT color managed in any way, shape or form. 

Color management has been a request for at least 20 years, though...

Xara is old wine sold in old bottles by cheap salesmen.