You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Envelope warping, object-distort, perspective tool or fisheye tool?

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ambang23 said:

is there any faithful waiting for this feature in AD like me .... 😥😥😥

Yip, was just looking for this feature yesterday. I'm pushing everyone I know to buy the Affinity software as I feel it's a game changer. They need to pay catch-up with some features other software has had for many years, which for the most part they have done very well. That said it feels strange that features like this are missing.

12 hours ago, Ambang23 said:

is there any faithful waiting for this feature in AD like me .... 😥😥😥

Yepp! I would use it on most of the stuff I work on ------- just got to wait I suppose?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

12 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Yip, was just looking for this feature yesterday. I'm pushing everyone I know to buy the Affinity software as I feel it's a game changer. They need to pay catch-up with some features other software has had for many years, which for the most part they have done very well. That said it feels strange that features like this are missing.

It is very strange that a tool like this is missing.
But even more strange is the request about this tool, which has already taken 5 years to come ...🤣🤣🤣

• 2 months later...

Are we still waiting for this after 5 years? :(

I've just switched from Illustrator, I love your app guys, but, as stated before in this thread, envelope distort / warp is really an essential tool for any graphic designer working on brand / whatever... 

How come you still haven't released this?? Seems like a very bad choice or maybe a big technical problem that you can't resolve?

:( 

On 4/2/2015 at 8:43 PM, TomFulery said:

When will Affinity Designer get an object-distort tool, a perspective tool, a fisheye too or an inset/outset path tool? These are basic features for doing creative work, especially with display text (see attached jpg). 

This was one of the first things I also did ask for when I started using Affinity Designer (Mac) in 2018. It is 2020 now and I still don't see this implemented. (My post disappeared though!) This is very very basic stuff for a vector application. Look in affinity Photo, there are two distort tools that come in handy - why in the world is this still not available in Designer??????

There is really no day without having the need of such a tool. This is so basic.

What I do is, I simply go back to FreeHand and do it there. Sadly on the Mac this needs switch over to Parallels, where FreeHand still works.

Honestly I am often close to go all way back to FreeHand and leave Affinity behind - really FreeHand is over 30 years old, but it is SO MUCH BETTER THEN AFFINITY DESIGNER in every way, much more easy to use and more intuitive. The only drawbacks are that it needs Parallels to still work and it does of course not support high resolution displays.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, bordercross said:

The free beta of VectorStyler is very help in filling the gap where Affinity Designer lacks a Mesh Distortion/Warp/Transform tool.
I was able to create a shape, warp it and then just copy and paste into Designer as an editable vector.

Thanks. Wow, VectorStyler looks really promising.

9 hours ago, CLC said:

Thanks. Wow, VectorStyler looks really promising.

Yes, it is an interesting project to follow. Featureset is impressive. I even managed to do some VECTOR work on my iPhone. Also traced images on it.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 5/21/2020 at 3:14 PM, Thomahawk said:

This was one of the first things I also did ask for when I started using Affinity Designer (Mac) in 2018. It is 2020 now and I still don't see this implemented. (My post disappeared though!) This is very very basic stuff for a vector application. Look in affinity Photo, there are two distort tools that come in handy - why in the world is this still not available in Designer??????

1943525519_1001normal.jpg.9275a163841ef274d536bf6cabc5de9f.jpg

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

3 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

The big difference: This forum is about products from Serif Labs, AND, people liking Affinity Suite is staying here more than a few negative trolling people, just here to BS about Serifs profucts...

It's not about "liking" Serif software. At least not exclusively nor as a requirement.

Heck, I don't "like" any software. Software, to me, is a necessary evil brought on by my career choices too many years ago to change now. There are people at various software companies I like, some that I deeply respect. But those sentiments are not requirements to neither use a particular company's software nor point out weaknesses.

• Staff

You have all made your points in these recent posts but enough is enough. These are community support forums and I cannot believe some of you do not understand others do not have the same priorities and perceptions as you. These forums are not about what you think others should think. If you want that sort of discussion go to twitter. ANY more posts about what you perceive to be other people's motives will result in a timeout or full ban. Period. You are here to discuss Affinity software functionality not the motives of those who post here.

If you disagree then hover over someones avatar and use the ignore option on them. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

feature of AD is not bad at all i think, any application no one perfect, not defended or pick a side anyone just be neutrally. but one think y'all should know (Affinity Team)  the other's are still waiting, do your best.  i just want you to not dissapointed us cause you gave us a hope. come on you can do it guys! (Affinity Team) prove it !👊🔥

On 5/31/2020 at 8:42 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

Gave Vectorstyler 30 minutes this afternoon...

Still not impressed by the speed, it crashed three times in 30 minutes, UI is boring etc etc...

Sure, just like Inkscape, it cramed with a lot of features, but, who wants this slow annoying vector apps?

I'm talking directly with the dev(he's a one man-team), he is very responsive and adds features /fixes reported bugs very fast, damn it, he added "merge nodes at middle point" in less than a week while fixing all my reported bugs and also improving dramatically panning/zooming. I think Affinity should hire that guy, he's a monster at developing.

Also was in talks with him to implement the "Pathfinder" Open-source Vector Engine for increased performance, he said it will be a long-term feature when he's done with all the bugs and UI. Also he's VERY RECEPTIVE of critique, you can search in VectorStyler Forums, all my opened threads(same nickname as here) which he fixed in less than one week. 

Sure, the app is still quite green, the UI/UX still need lots of work(made some suggestions in the forum, to mimic Affinity in some aspects), and it's drawing engine is a resource hog, but feature-wise is incredible for an ONE-MAN TEAM, give it enough time and maybe we will have a real Illustrator Killer, while Affinity still takes time to implement BASIC Stuff with a bigger dev team...

18 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, in the same time, it’s remind me of Paintstorm Studio - PSP is crammed with painting features, it’s ONE russian developer that does iPad/Win/Mac (!) version...

Incredible, BUT, unstable and TOO many functions...

Paintstorm Studio could beat both Procreate and Clip Studio Paint IF everything worked as planned, but, software developing an app that really works as description takes a lot of effort...

Either Vectorstyler or Paintstorm Studio is near an real version 1.0 even though the latter is v3.x now...

I completely understand your point of view, but sometimes we need to get work done fast and too many functions is better than not having those functions at all.

Affinity could have made some quick basic implementations of all the features that were required and slowly polish them until their Quality Standard, but they chose to starve their base of clients while waiting and waiting... I mean, the Template Window in 1.8 is great and all, but the Warp tools, Blend Tool, Shape Builder, Offset Paths, Cusp Dash lines or Zig Zags, are more important and I think anyone can agree.

Affinity takes pride in its UI/UX and I really agree on that but we still don't have a VISUAL Way to change stroke width at various path points. Something which VectorStyler or even Illustrator understood as something very important for the user...

The BASIC DIVIDE boolean is still broken...

Captura de pantalla 2020-06-07 a las 17.00.22.pngSame circles in a VectorStyle which is a younger and less polished app...:

Captura de pantalla 2020-06-07 a las 17.07.13.png

4 hours ago, abn5x said:

The BASIC DIVIDE boolean is still broken...

Well it's maybe one of those "...quick basic implementations of a feature that were required and only slowly will be polish until it meets user requirements..." then.

But seriously, it's not always the easy way to add some specific functionality, especially if that hasn't be planned and designed to be included before. Meaning here you often may have to change then a bunch of things in code which are related or associated in behavior to that functionality. Which can again lead to new bugs or misbehavior of certain older code which worked fine before. - So it's not always an easy task to change or add certain things in general, especially if no one during the initial design phase thought about to leave room for certain important things, or if essential backend functionaility is missing which is needed for implementing certain frontend functionality ... and so on. The latter then entails a lot of refactorings, code testings and the like until things might work as hoped or expected.

4 hours ago, abn5x said:

...but they chose to starve their base of clients while waiting and waiting...

I believe the dev team isn't that overall exhaustive big in man power and since they have nowadays also to work implementation wise on double-three frontiers (MacOS, iOS, Win and then AD, APh and APub) they were maybe pretty busy just with these tasks. - So probably not much time left for implementing much new functionality beside let's say common bug fixing (even there are still enough unsolved and left over).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, if you are more productive with Vectorstyler Freehand Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator, why are you here on this forum then?

If Vectorstyler have all the functionality you need just now, why wait here for Affinity Designer?

I don’t understand some of you people here 😞

I use both, AD is more polished, and smoother right now, but clearly lacks features which are covered by VectorStyler for me. I root for both Apps, VS just needs to keep fixing bugs and improve the performance like it has done till now, Affinity needs to fix bugs and add functionality. Whichever does it best wins for me.

Though I have to say, that I LOVE the way Affinity Suite Apps are intertwined, work se well together and speed up the workflow, just wish AD was more feature rich, at least the basic features you'd expect from a MODERN Vector App.

• Staff

Don't do that Jowday it's not helping

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

20 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well it's maybe one of those "...quick basic implementations of a feature that were required and only slowly will be polish until it meets user requirements..." then.

But seriously, it's not always the easy way to add some specific functionality, especially if that hasn't be planned and designed to be included before. Meaning here you often may have to change then a bunch of things in code which are related or associated in behavior to that functionality. Which can again lead to new bugs or misbehavior of certain older code which worked fine before. - So it's not always an easy task to change or add certain things in general, especially if no one during the initial design phase thought about to leave room for certain important things, or if essential backend functionaility is missing which is needed for implementing certain frontend functionality ... and so on. The latter then entails a lot of refactorings, code testings and the like until things might work as hoped or expected.

I believe the dev team isn't that overall exhaustive big in man power and since they have nowadays also to work implementation wise on double-three frontiers (MacOS, iOS, Win and then AD, APh and APub) they were maybe pretty busy just with these tasks. - So probably not much time left for implementing much new functionality beside let's say common bug fixing (even there are still enough unsolved and left over).

Basic Boolean Operations doesn't need UI/UX polishing, it's just that, Basic buttons to do operations. ShapeBuilder would be the logical improvement upon Boolean Operations, which we are still waiting for.

Serif is not some new company, it has the Experience and Knowledge to plan its code for the expected features that would be developed, at least that would be the logical assumptions to make. VS added "merge nodes at middle point" in less than one week since I asked for it + other bugs and fixes, Affinity in its 4-5 years still doesn't have a simple proper "merge selected nodes" feature, not even talking about "merge at middle point".

Yes, Affinity Team is not big, comparing it to Adobe or Corel for example, but it surely is bigger than One person. Releasing it on multiple Platforms besides increasing the work which must be done, also increases the revenue, which means they should/could increase the Team to deliver faster, better releases.

Basic Boolean Operations doesn't need UI/UX polishing, it's just that, Basic buttons to do operations. ShapeBuilder would be the logical improvement upon Boolean Operations, which we are still waiting for.

Just performing the plane sweep algorithm operations via a button press isn't all involved here, you first have to take correctly into account which selected objects and their order from all possible objects, then to fire change/update events so all observers (everything dependent) get informed and does react/update accordingly. So certain things of the layer panel functionality are first involved here and have to change/update accordingly. IOW enough places where something can get still wrong beside the algorithmic boolean operation itself.

A ShapeBuilder and certain other important things would be fine to have, but didn't materialize so far. Many of the missing things might have been available in their former Win app line, therefore it would be obvious (at least for me) to reuse or adapt some algorithms from there. Aka why reinvent the wheel in case you possibly already had a fine working one.

VectorStyler looks like a nice project by someone who is passionate in vector based graphics, though sadly (due to Metal requirements) it doesn't run on my old OSX hardware here, so couldn't run and give that a try. However, it's always good to also have other alternative app options and workarounds available when generally needed.

I don't know how big or small their team is, but for sure not just one single fighting dev. However, in such times now it might be more difficult to get new devs if needed on site.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2