You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Envelope warping, object-distort, perspective tool or fisheye tool?

I am a professional, yes and a curious one.  That is why I am here. You found and pointed out a spelling error. And have an attitude like a... pdddr. Well English is not my first language so there. But you mentioned the most insignificant error like a child. Very mature. :35_thinking: I am not impressed. 

You can’t compare a roof with a service. Times are changing and conditions are changing. I understand companies perfectly when the charge as a service.

My latest work reached approximately 5 million people. Rich and poor. It does so four times every year. Did for more than a decade. But I made it in Illustrator etc. again. The price is nothing compared to literally everything else in our setup.

I just fancy looking for options, new tools, better drawing tools, better software. More fun if possible. Creativity is not fun with clumsy tools. So I had to take a look at the "professional graphic design software" AD.

This bar conversation, however, is futile. It ends here for my part. Feel free to be a last word freak.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Would LOVE to have the envelope warp and mesh features soon, especially when dealing with text. However, I'm also willing to wait for Affinity to do it well, as I know they will. Everything else they do is done with excellence, and I trust these features will be no different.

Thanks, Affinity! Keep up the great work!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So it's now clsoing in on the end of 2019 and still no sign of this feature ever appearing.

Been trying to re-design some old images that were originally designed in Illustrator CS5. Sadly cannot complete the task as Text manipulation is still not possible.
If anyone says "it's on the roadmap", this must be the longest roadmap in the history of Software development.

Just when I think I can cut all cords with Illustrator, I find another basic funtion of a Vector Design program nowhere to be seen.

3 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, do Xara have warp and distortion tools for vector object?

Yes, see e.g. this tutorial:

I myself moved away from Xara after using it for years due to way the software was developed (or not). Consider this a personal preference and no Xara bashing. I am much happier with the Affinity range and the way Serif is communicating. (Lucky me I can go back to my old copy of Xara if I need an envelope of blend tool, which I hardly do).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff
12 hours ago, jgarza said:

I guess we just have to start promoting other products on the forum ... 

That is not the purpose of this forum. Feel free to promote whatever you wish elsewhere, but not here.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

48 minutes ago, bordercross said:

The free beta of VectorStyler is very help in filling the gap where Affinity Designer lacks a Mesh Distortion/Warp/Transform tool.
I was able to create a shape, warp it and then just copy and paste into Designer as an editable vector.

It is also very deep with a steep learning curve. At least it is steep for me and my mind. [confuzzled face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

20 hours ago, bordercross said:

The free beta of VectorStyler is very help in filling the gap where Affinity Designer lacks a Mesh Distortion/Warp/Transform tool.

But Mac only. So—to appropriate the claim cited by every forum visitor angrily demanding a specific timeline for any given specific pet feature—"it is of no use to me." ;-)

I was able to create a shape, warp it and then just copy and paste into Designer as an editable vector.

Just as one could do with most any other vector-based program to which one is habituated. For example, those who are really convinced Adobe Illustrator's is the envelope distortion to beat all envelope distortions, can export their paths to Illustrator, warp them, copy them back to Affinity. One could do the same with Canvas, Draw, Inkscape…anything with a reasonable exchange format path for Bezier curves. All as a workaround, of course, until Affinity has its own (hopefully better, more elegant, more innovative) warp feature.

Why bother? Because enduring occasional workarounds gives you the advantage of developing proficiency in other and newer programs, thereby reducing your mission-critical dependency upon a specific software brand and the trauma of making a cold turkey "switch" when the time comes. That's how one avoids—or at least minimizes—falling victim to every machination of a single vendor.

No, that is not practical for every feature and function. One cannot, for example, work around Affinity's infernal overdone bounding-box fixation, because that is something you must deal with the whole time you are working in the program. But more "standalone" functions like distortion effects or (gag me) auto-tracing are quite amenable to a little back-and-forth between separate programs.

Example: Remember the days when a separate utility program called Type Styler was the de facto "standard" for any kind of text warping, before the Big Four had such features?

JET

3 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

... One could do the same with Canvas, ...

There is a blast from my past. Good old System 8.6

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Well since October 2014 feature wise not much has happened in this direction for AD and vector based distortions, even though often demanded. So one has to resort inevitably to other applications and solutions which are able to deal with these things.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 11/15/2019 at 2:12 PM, v_kyr said:

Well since October 2014 feature wise not much has happened in this direction for AD and vector based distortions, even though often demanded. So one has to resort inevitably to other applications and solutions which are able to deal with these things.

Unfortunately very true. Affinity completely ignored AD's roadmap to make the iPad versions and Publisher.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, Old Bruce said:
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:36 AM, JET_Affinity said:

... One could do the same with Canvas, ...

There is a blast from my past. Good old System 8.6

8.6? You youngsters! ;-) I remember using it as a Macintosh "desk accessory" on a 9" monochrome monitor.

Canvas is still around, and I still maintain my license. CanvasGFX is now a separate company again, which I sense (and hope) will give it the more dedicated development attention it deserves. It's treatment of switching a given object between its "transformed" and "untransformed" dimensions (and keeping it there) is representative of just one of the functions I'd like to see better implemented in Affinity. As I recall, its Lens feature appeared before something similar in FreeHand, and is one of those broadly useful things most Illustrator devotees are blissfully oblivious to.

Like the other two survivors of the "Big Four" vector drawing programs, it's still strapped into an old-world pricing model. But it's a very feature-rich program any innovative competitors in the segment would do well to note (proper user-defined custom drawing scales; live dimension tools,…).

JET

1 hour ago, JET_Affinity said:

its Lens feature appeared before something similar in FreeHand, and is one of those broadly useful things most Illustrator devotees are blissfully oblivious to.

That was amazing tech and so useful for so many things. 

1 hour ago, JET_Affinity said:

9" monochrome monitor

I do not miss that at all.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:24 PM, bordercross said:

Wow this looks great --- Downloaded --- 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

22 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I do not miss that [9" monochrome monitor] at all. 

Actually, I do, in one regard: they demonstrated the elegantly textured things one can do with diffusion-dither bitmaps. (Remember some of the beautiful games that were simply HyperCard stacks with entirely 1-bit images?) It's a pity that so few current drawing programs provide 1-bit diffusion as a rasterization option. For just one example, it's a great way to add shading to technical drawings.

Okay. Back on topic so I don't get kicked out: So everyone wants a vector envelope feature. Got it. ;-) 

JET

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Sure, it’s jampacked with functionality and features, but, it’s slow, it’s not that intuitive, and, hard to master...

Takes me forever to do simple stuff, the more complex stuff is even harder to figure out. But... It has some of the oft requested features for Designer ready to go and I think it will be a worthy contender. Another arrow in the quiver or tool in the box.

31 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

maybe someone else here can say something about what they think of it?

Doesn't work with/on older OSX versions, thus can't say anything about that one. - Same with Amadine which when released now needs macOS 10.12 or higher and before when in beta state, worked instead with OSX 10.11.6 too and was usable for simple vector based distortions.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2