You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Envelope warping, object-distort, perspective tool or fisheye tool?

When will Affinity Designer get an object-distort tool, a perspective tool, a fisheye too or an inset/outset path tool? These are basic features for doing creative work, especially with display text (see attached jpg). 

As it is, if I need to do anything like this I have to use free open-source apps like Inkscape or NeoDraw (part of the NeoOffice suite), both of which are harder to use but do way more than Affinity Designer.  

post-4314-0-68292600-1428000188_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi @TomFulery,

They are already on our roadmap

We are aware there's still some basic features missing but Affinity Designer is still also very recent. It's not possible to implement everything at once. Please bear with us while we work on it.

• 1 year later...

I was just about to post this suggestion as well about the envelope warp and the warp filters in general. I use these features a lot with vector artwork. I see this post was posted well over a year ago though so I'm wondering if there are plans for any vector warping tools in Affinity Designer. I could only find the mesh warp tool for rasterdized images in Affinity Photo. While it's a nice tool, it  is really limited and doesn't really help with vector designing. Warping with text in particular is a HUGE part of designing, not just a mesh warps but preset warps like archs and bulging are extremley important as well so I'm wondering if  you guys/gals at Serif are working on anything like that!

Cool! I would have to say, I've been using AD for awhile now and I have to say than any little things I miss from Illustrator are minor. There are work arounds to completing those tasks, but not having the ability to warp vector images is hands down THE BIGGEST shortcoming I've come across when working with Affinity designer. I'm happy this is in the Designer's roadmap and I'm hoping that it is as versatile as Illustrators capabilities. I'm always trying to upsell AD and AP to other people but the missing function of warp tools in particular, is a sore spot that is hard to defend. Especially since they have been a part of Illustrator for over 5 years or so. I think since CS5!

I know, I know, I'm sure you guys hate  it when some random forum person starts lecturing or making suggestions when we don't know how hard you're working on the programs and how much time and talent it takes to make it happen! Believe me, I understand. I'm just sick of Adobe and I want so badly for another company to succeed where they fail and you guys are the ones to do it. If I come across as less than appreciative I assure you I'm praising you guys every day! I just want AD to be the best it can! AD 4 Life!  :)

• 4 weeks later...

I know, I'm harping on this warping thing guys but I'm really just asking questions. Again, I know it's extremely hard work getting all the functions everybody is asking for so I'm very sorry if it seems as if I'm nagging. I really just had a couple of questions and thought it would be better to just make a video to explain.No worries though, I was just working on something and thought of the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dcJuHUuN4

• 3 months later...

I know, I'm harping on this warping thing guys but I'm really just asking questions. Again, I know it's extremely hard work getting all the functions everybody is asking for so I'm very sorry if it seems as if I'm nagging. I really just had a couple of questions and thought it would be better to just make a video to explain.No worries though, I was just working on something and thought of the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dcJuHUuN4

Awesome video! I second all your requests. I too hope for the AD you hope for! 

AD is fabulous, but Illustrator is way more powerful compared. I really hope we see that gap narrow soon.

• 6 months later...

I Agree, this is needed to stay in this program without having to resort to mixing tools just to get the job done... it's FRUSTRATING!

Moderator said it was on the Roadmap over 2 Years ago... this must be some Loooooog Road!

Windows 10 64bit OS Build 17134.345 Version 1803
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
32.0 GB RAM
Pen Support

• Staff

Hi DoctorMicro,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The roadmap covers/lists all the features introduced during the whole 1.x cycle of the application. We are still on 1.6. Other features that were listed on the roadmap (and a few that weren't there) were already implemented and removed from the list. This one however still remains to be implemented. We have a small team and are doing our best to develop the app as fast as possible. The list was way bigger when we started. Bear with us while we work to get there.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi DoctorMicro,

The roadmap covers/lists all the features introduced during the whole 1.x cycle of the application. We are still on 1.6. Other features that were listed on the roadmap (and a few that weren't there) were already implemented and removed from the list. This one however still remains to be implemented. We have a small team and are doing our best to develop the app as fast as possible. The list was way bigger when we started. Bear with us while we work to get there.

Hi MEB, as a working professional illustrator and someone who has been in the Affinity camp for some time now I can't overstate how eager I am to seeing as many of these roadmap items brought on stream sooner than later. :-)  Having said that, yours is a small team and each one of these roadmap items need to be implemented in to the big picture smoothly and with much care and thought. That goes without saying and I don't think anyone would disagree with that reasoning.

Might I suggest as a way to smooth the transition or perhaps help ease frustration as you develop these items, Affinity might think of launching some sort of dedicated weekly or monthly status update on all things Affinity - what's going on, what's nearing completion, what's coming up, etc... similar to the pdf magazine you did a while back but way less polished, maybe more of an email subscribed bulletin or something similar. It might help both you guys control the flow and nature of information you release and help us users feel a bit more connected to all of the cool stuff that's happening at Affinity HQ, building excitement at the same time. Just a suggestion. :-)

You have a Great Product, it's just that seeing a feature I could have used for a client job today that was asked for over 2 years ago prompted that post.

I do agree with retrograde's post, as long as it does not take you away from programming those updates :D 

Cheers,

Mike

Windows 10 64bit OS Build 17134.345 Version 1803
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
32.0 GB RAM
Pen Support

1 minute ago, DoctorMicro said:

I do agree with retrograde's post, as long as it does not take you away from programming those updates :D 

Cheers,

Mike

Agreed, but I would imagine that a dedicated person or team is already involved with promotion and/or product announcements, press releases etc... This could be some sort of extension of that with a little more inside info on the development stuff. For the punters. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but couldn't be more anxious to drop Adobe and adopt the Affinity suite. 

I want to add my voice to those saying that a type distortion/enveloping tool in A. D. is absolutely essential, as soon as possible. I'm still using Ai because of this hole in A.D. Also, as long as I'm talking about typography,  hanging punctuation is necessary for professional text setting, in Designer, as well as in Publisher. I'm a "type guy" so typography features are at the top of my list. 

Of course, like others, I understand that AD is a new program and that things take time to implement but it's frustrating to have "one thing" here and there breaking the design/production process. I was a non-public beta site for years for Macromedia Freehand, Adobe ATM Deluxe and Dimensions and Alladdin Stuffit. Every time I use Illustrator, I miss Freehand  . . .

Thanks for your hard work to date.

lettergothic

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, ThirtyFiveThousand said:

Affinity Designer not having an envelope distortion function is like the doughnut shop that refuses to sell coffee; you are one self-imposed limitation away from making a fortune.

Hello @ThirtyFiveThousand,

envelope distortion is on the feature roadmap (look for 'Mesh warp/distort tool').

To say it ironically and in a friendly manner: if one can make a fortune by creating an 'envelope distortion function', why do people come up with social networks, messengers and ToDo-List applications ;)

Patience is a virtue with Affinity :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

18 hours ago, dominik said:

envelope distortion is on the feature roadmap (look for 'Mesh warp/distort tool').

To say it ironically and in a friendly manner: if one can make a fortune by creating an 'envelope distortion function', why do people come up with social networks, messengers and ToDo-List applications ;)

Patience is a virtue with Affinity :)

d.

Fine. More metaphorical clarification....

As it stands, Affinity Designer is the Margarita in the unsalted glass, the load of clothes from the dryer without the Febreeze, the video game boss fight to which you’ve brought the +9 Sword (to be fair, there are those of us who would take on the boss using the +2 Dagger just to make a point! *pun*). Designer stands poised to be a serious challenger to the Adobe empire, even more so with the release of the iOS version, when (if) that happens. All it would take, in my opinion, would be the fulfillment of the four year old promise that would allow us to shape text instead of having to carve closed shapes by hand. For us faithful few who pray everyday to be able to reproduce the Lucasfilm Logo without taking an extra 3 hours to do so, an ‘envelope distortion’ function would be the answer to those prayers. The ability to curve, arch, bend, or wave text, or even converted text shapes, instead of simply handing in text-on-a-curve to unimpressed clients and co-workers, would make at least one of us out here ecstatic enough to hand over cash or PayPal transactions (or iOS App Store 5-star reviews *HINT*) for granting us the ability. Until then, Affinity Designer will continue to be reviewed by everyone I’ve found on YouTube as the application that is ALMOST good enough to be the greatest.

Sent from my iPad Pro.

30 minutes ago, ThirtyFiveThousand said:

Fine. More metaphorical clarification....

As it stands, Affinity Designer is the Margarita in the unsalted glass, the load of clothes from the dryer without the Febreeze, the video game boss fight to which you’ve brought the +9 Sword (to be fair, there are those of us who would take on the boss using the +2 Dagger just to make a point! *pun*). Designer stands poised to be a serious challenger to the Adobe empire, even more so with the release of the iOS version, when (if) that happens. All it would take, in my opinion, would be the fulfillment of the four year old promise that would allow us to shape text instead of having to carve closed shapes by hand. For us faithful few who pray everyday to be able to reproduce the Lucasfilm Logo without taking an extra 3 hours to do so, an ‘envelope distortion’ function would be the answer to those prayers. The ability to curve, arch, bend, or wave text, or even converted text shapes, instead of simply handing in text-on-a-curve to unimpressed clients and co-workers, would make at least one of us out here ecstatic enough to hand over cash or PayPal transactions (or iOS App Store 5-star reviews *HINT*) for granting us the ability. Until then, Affinity Designer will continue to be reviewed by everyone I’ve found on YouTube as the application that is ALMOST good enough to be the greatest.

Sent from my iPad Pro.

Hi @ThirtyFiveThousand,

thanks for the metaphoric words.

As a matter of fact I, too, miss the envelope distortion very much. And I am surprised that Affinity takes such a long time to implement it. From hanging out here for some time I know that Serif does have reasons for what they publish and what not. One of them is that everything just cannot be done at one time.

I suspect that there will be some interesting new things coming with the next 1.7 release.

I wonder, if the new features that @Ben demonstrated in this thread has something to do with envelope distortion? After all, the 'rotate-on-plane feature' has some similarities to a distorted object :)

I for myself have decided to use what is there already and for everything else I find a workaround.

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

• Staff

Hi ThirtyFiveThousand,

As dominic said this is coming in a future update during the 1.x cycle of the app. It is impossible for us to implement/cover every feature you may find in other apps - even a few basic ones -. We are doing our best to close the gaps as fast as we can with the resources we have available. Please bear with us while we work to improve the app.

59 minutes ago, ThirtyFiveThousand said:

In other words: ‘deal with it’.

you can see it that way but this is not my intention to look at it. I am convinced that Serif don't have a 'deal with it' attitude. Nor do I.

I appreciate (and encourage) your post emphasizing that a certain feature is missing. This is what a feature request forum is about.

At the same time we users have to accept that things take their time to accomplish.

On a side note: looking at Adobe Illustrator's latest release notes from March 2018 I see three new features. Not only at Serif development is taking time ;)

Cheers,

d.