You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My migration away from Adobe is complete - Thanks Affinity

motoscoddie

I have been trying to ween myself off the over-priced Adobe CC subscription for a while now. To help with that, I bought Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo and now have Affinity Publisher BETA installed, which was the last app I needed to be rid of Adobe. Additionally, I have Foxit PhantomPDF and DaVinci Resolve 15 to round out all the substitute apps I need.

So, in August, I logged into Adobe to see the status of my account and look at options. When I checked my subscription, I noticed it had jumped by $12 per month in May. This incensed me somewhat, so, I immediately hit the cancel subscription button.

Apparently, I had been a subscriber since December 2006, so Adobe offered me some sort of “REWARD” where I could continue to use the apps for another 90 days. I thought, “Nah, I just want to get rid of Adobe out of my life”. So, I scrolled down the page to find the “Yes, I REALLY DO want to purge your over-priced software from my life” button, only to see a very small line (in red) that stated that I will be charged $AU206 which was 50% of my remaining 12-month subscription (10 months left)! I was LIVID.

That meant I had to pay for five months-worth of subscription to get my three months use for FREE! Instead of cancelling, I went back and found a plan for $AU14.29 a month (that’s the old $AU12.99 per month, but now includes GST), which gave me access to JUST Lightroom (which I have never bothered with and had no intention of bothering with). Nevertheless, I figured doing this worked out to be $142.90 for the year, a saving of $63 over the cancellation extortion. Worth it.

So, I hit the subscribe button and was downgraded immediately only to realise that it started a WHOLE NEW 12-month subscription. Still only $171.48, a saving of around $35.

Out of interest, I decided to see how much I would be charged if I cancelled my new subscription. I hit cancel and did not see any residual extortion fee. I completed the cancellation and am now FREE OF ADOBE.

The above experience really helped me to confirm that it was a good decision to no longer give Adobe my money and I hope it helps any others do the same!