You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When Affinity Designer first came out last October, I was one of the first to purchase it from the Mac App Store. 

Today I received an email notification that an update for Designer was available, so I went to download it from the App Store.  Something happened during the download and my purchasing history on the app store indicated that an error had occurred during downloading.  

I tried to get the update to re-download, but that app is currently flagged as "Installed" so there is no way to get another copy of the application.  

I then tried one other thing...I deleted the application from my Mac thinking that would clear the "Installed" flag, but that didn't work either. 

So, now I have no current copy of the currently shipping Designer on my Mac, and apparently no way to re-download a new copy.  

Are there any alternative ways to address this?  Or do I need to go through Apple on this question?  Thanks for any info!  

- David 

This is very concerning. I also attempted to update from the Mac App Store, which is now flagging the 1.2 update as installed, but I am still only able to open Affinity Designer as the 1.1.2 version I had originally purchased.

I initially bought Affinity Designer on the strength of it's great reviews and 'imminently arriving' text on a path feature (amongst others like the corner tool, etc), as I really need these features for packaging and logo design projects. I was also hoping for a resolution to the 'disappearing' unaccessible Table of Contents Help Menu with this update. This is all starting to really undermine my confidence that my investment (both financial and timewise) in this potentially excellent software, promoted as stable, may have been ill advised. I really need to obtain access to these new features.

I share your concern, and hope that you can soon regain access to your AD software and it's updated 1.2 version.

Come on Affinity guys, please resolve this issue pronto please.

• Staff

@sentientbean,

I'm sorry to know you're having trouble updating Affinity Designer.

Can you tell me which OS are you running? Also can you please try this: press ⌃(ctrl) while launching Affinity Designer in Launchpad, then Select All and Clear in the new dialog that will appear. Has this solved the issue?

Note this will reset all customisations you may have made to the app.

Hi David,

Have you restarted your system after you have deleted the app? Which OS are you running?

You can also try to open the Mac Store app and go to menu Store ▹ Check for Unfinished Downloads.

MEB.....yes, I had already tried restarting after deleting the application since I wanted to make sure that Mac OS X would update itself as to what applications were resident upon restart.  I had hoped that this might result in the "Installed" flag being changed on the App Store.   That did not work.  

I also checked the Mac App Store area for "Check for unfinished downloads" and it said that all downloads were complete. 

So, I am still stuck in the situation where I have no copy of the shipping Affinity Designer 1.2 and (at this moment) no way to do a re-download. 

For your reference, I am running the Mavericks release (version 10.9.5) of Mac OS X.    

If there is some alternate way to get hold of a shipping copy, then please let me know.   Additional:  I had looked around a bit on the web and found some tips about trying to option-click the "Installed" button on the App Store to see if that would convert that button to an "Install" button....that didn't work.  Another tip suggesting holding down the Option key while choosing "Purchases" on the App Store window (near the top of the window) to also try to convert the "installed" flag to "Install".....that did not work either.  

Thanks for any other suggestions you may have on this!   

- David  

• Staff

Hi David, sentientbean,

Can you try this please?

1) Open Terminal app.

2) Copy and paste this command and then press Enter:

open $TMPDIR/../C

3) This will open a Finder window: drag the "com.apple.appstore" folder that's inside there to the Trash.

The folder you deleted is just a cache. It will be recreated as soon as you run the Mac Store app again.

4) Run the Mac Store app and try to install/update Affinity Designer. If it still doesn't work, reboot your system.

Let me know if this solved your problem.

Hi David, sentientbean,

Can you try this please?

1) Open Terminal app.

2) Copy and paste this command and then press Enter:

open $TMPDIR/../C

3) This will open a Finder window: drag the "com.app.appstore" folder that's inside there to the Trash.

The folder you deleted is just a cache. It will be recreated as soon as you run the Mac Store app again.

4) Run the Mac Store app and try to install/update Affinity Designer.

Let me know if this solved your problem.

MEB....thanks for the suggestion.  I did as requested but no joy.  Same problem with Affinity Designer flagged as being "Installed".   Hopefully you have some more tricks up your sleeve to fix this. 

BTW....I presume that you meant for me to drag a folder named "com.apple.appstore" to the Trash.   I could not find anything that was named "com.app.appstore".  

So, thanks for any additional ideas you may have to fix this!  

- David  

ATTENTION, MEB!!

To borrow a NASA phrase:  "Houston, we have liftoff!"     :D  

After the failed attempt at using Terminal to get the App Store application to clear that "Installed" flag, I decided I would try one last thing before giving up on that. I decided to reboot the Mac and access the App Store one last time.  

That apparently did the trick.  Once the Mac was rebooted, I started up the Mac App store application once more and the Affinity Designer flag finally showed "Install".  So, I clicked the Install button and waited for it to finish.  Once I was able to see the "Installed" flag, I checked my Purchase history and, this time, did NOT see any red-letter error messages there.  All appears to be well. 

So, I am guessing that doing a reboot after running Terminal is part of the recipe for fixing this situation.  

Thanks for your assistance on this!!  I have Affinity Designer 1.2 successfully installed on my Mac.  

- David   

MEB,

I have followed your instructions using Terminal and rebooted my Mac, but the App Store is still showing AD 1.2 as installed, and AD is still only launching as the 1.1.2 version. The only difference I can think of is that I haven't dragged my existing AD app to the trash first. A new com.apple.appstore folder has shown up in Terminal since the reboot, but it hasn't worked for me unfortunately.

Any thoughts please?

@ sentientbean.....

I hope you get your situation cleared up!  No worries about "hijacking" the thread....it sounds like you've got something similar to what I ran into so it's all good. 

In my case, I think this had more to do with some sort of technical foulup between my location and the Mac App Store.  I don't think that it is related to anything that Affinity is doing.   That's just a supposition on my part but that's what it looks like to me.  

You might want to consider setting up an inquiry with Apple Customer Service if you can't get it sorted out here.  

BTW....that's a very clever username you've got there!     :D

Anyway, good luck with getting things straightened up!   

- David   

Yey! MEB, it worked! I now have AD 1.2  :D

Thanks for all your help, advice and patience. Sadly the Table of Contents Help Menu issue still remains unresolved. I was hoping it would be fixed in the new update :(. I hope you guys can get to the bottom of it soon, as it hinders the learning curve somewhat.

davidpwrmc,

Thanks for the kind and supportive comments. Glad you didn't mind me interjecting, and glad you are also up and running now, thanks to MEB.

Happy graphicing,

Bean Boy

Yeah, I'm using Avast Mac Security (free version), and of course I have the standard Yosemite Firewall turned on, as is pretty much default. Do you think that Avast might be causing a problem? I'm now assuming that not all users are having the same problems with the Help TOC then?

Ok, great. Sounds like you're getting to the bottom of the problem, and that hopefully I'll be able to continue with the protection and peace of mind that using Avast brings me. I would be glad of an update if the problem with Avast turns out not be resolvable.

Thanks again.