You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

i don't want a new layer for each curve i'm drawing

You can Create a New Layer (Not a Pixel Layer) a New Layer and all the curve layers will be placed as child layers to that layer. It's a bit like grouping

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, Bogdan said:

I have pixel layers so the new layer becomes pixel automatically. how do i change from pixel to regular layer? thanks!

In Designer, Layer > New Layer or ctrl+alt+n (on Windows; don't know about Mac) will get you a new non-pixel layer. Or from the Layers panel, right-click on any layer and choose New Layer should also work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Bogdan said:

I have pixel layers so the new layer becomes pixel automatically. how do i change from pixel to regular layer? thanks!

There is no such thing as a 'regular' layer in Affinity. In Affinity Designer (but not Affinity Photo) there is the special capital L "(Layer)" type of parent layer that @firstdefence mentioned that can contain other layer types but has no content of its own, "(Curve)" layers, several other types of layers that can be a parent or child of another layer, "(Image)" layers that are sort of like "(Pixel)" layers, "(Embedded document)" layers, various Live Adjustment layers, mask layers, & so on.

But with one exception every object must be on its own layer & not shared by any other object, that being the "(Curves)" type of layer (note the plural) that can contain two or more curves & is the result of certain boolean operations on two or more "(Curve)" layers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I will try to rephrase:

When I draw curves with the pen layer, for each curve that I draw affinity photo creates a new layer. As you may see in the screenshot attached.

How do I prevent the new layer to happen and draw all the curves in just one layer?

I have a few (pixel ) layers and the curves end up being in (curve) layers. New Layer will create a new (pixel layer).

curve layer.jpg

Layers in Affinity are actually just a list of objects. You really cannot avoid getting a layer for each object. If you try to combine layers you will effectively merge objects to single shapes. 

You can though group layers as said above to help organizing your project.

Hello Bogdan,

If you want all your curves to be on a single layer, create this layer before drawing your curves, which will then be grouped on the same layer in your drawing. If you want to change the order of these curves within this layer (for example from bottom to top), or simply visualize their position in the stack, the representation of these curves is necessary.
To create this layer, click on the icon at the bottom right of the "Layers" tab.

In my screenshot, I created a layer for each line color and each line is necessarily visible in its layer.

Calques.png

Edited by reglico
Removing underlining from the text???

Every Vector tool I know of (Affinity Designer, Gravit Designer, Inkscape, Vectr, Adobe Illustrator), lists all the objects you draw with a Vector Brush tool.

Maybe it's just that by default, some programs create a Default Layer, but if you look inside said Layer, you will see every line as an object.

image.png.80e9939b377dceb574c6def4b5c5a70b.png

image.png.a69792bf9e3e402d02480c93fe18ed5a.png

image.png.2aa1ed9295dc3cd2646493ba16aa91ca.png

image.png.6d3e3e9c8e50faa631f5faaaa9e3ca6a.png

image.png.e490ede2e09afe9fcce56ad12b71610c.png

As some forum members suggested, just create the Layer and start drawing lines.

Best regards!

1 hour ago, Bogdan said:

When I draw curves with the pen layer, for each curve that I draw affinity photo creates a new layer. As you may see in the screenshot attached.

As others have indicated, organizational layers are only available in Affinity Designer, not Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Bogdan said:

How do I prevent the new layer to happen and draw all the curves in just one layer?

You can't prevent each curve, shape, text, pixel, or any other object type from being drawn on its own layer. You can organize them into container layer types like groups or (in Affinity Designer) into Layer containers, nest layers into other layers & shack them various ways in the Layers Studio panel to control how they interact, & so on, but you cannot draw multiple curves on just one layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

46 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

As others have indicated, organizational layers are only available in Affinity Designer, not Affinity Photo.

I didn't notice that @Bogdan is using Photo instead of Designer...

Anyway, even if you can't create organizational Layers in Photo, you can copy them from Designer and duplicate it as many times as you want, just like with Artboards.

image.thumb.png.c805b4e97d99075a432f4564f13ef7d0.png

Best regards!

Creating lots of separate objects whether shapes lines or pixel components without resorting to Layer/group management can be annoying.. It also can slow down the app (AD +AP) if you try to select and move lots of objects at the same time without grouping.

One little trick I picked up (especially AD but equally applies to AP)is that if:

1 You create your first object

2. Immediately group (CNTRL+G)

3. Open group and select first object

4. Continue drawing..

A pain but really useful if working with lots of objects...You can them move them around between layers..simply by dragging in layers panel..It's much quicker than having to select all elements in layers panel..(If you have to do that!)..which I do all the time..as I forget:)!

I follow this procedure a lot...especially in AD when working in vector masks

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1