You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke and rules styles

I've just experimented with this question. Yes, we are correct that it is not yet possible to give a text frame curved/indented/cutout etc corners, if it starts as a text frame. BUT if you make a rectangle and give it corner styles, single radius or separate radii, it can then be converted into a text frame. To reveal all the corner controls with the frame selected, choose the node tool, and the controls you need now appear in the context tool-bar. This works either for 4 separate corners/radii or single radius mode. Absolute values can be used too. And you can change the corner style. You can also set a text indent in the text frame dialogue box to get the text to sit nicely in the frame. Job done!

text_frame 4 rad.jpeg

text_frame single rad.jpeg

That's weird. I can see that you have a frame text box and that the context toolbar is showing corner adjustments. But that doesn't happen on my machine. When I click the node tool I get the same context toolbar as the text tool. Screenshot here.

image.thumb.png.724a01166a76b859c171cac89215a167.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Nope. Works fine both ways for me. I notice it looks like MickRose is on a PC. I'm on a Mac. Is that the difference? I would expect them to work the same. On my Mac it doesn't report the object as (Shape Text), just the first few words of the content. Something for the devs?

51 minutes ago, MickRose said:

I think I have worked it out! If I click on any of the shape tools and then click the text frame, the top context bar does indeed change.

Good discovery!

I can confirm that it also works that way for me, on Windows.

Edit: Actually, there's no need to click the text frame. Assuming it is selected (from some prior operation) then as soon as I select a shape tool the context menu changes, and I can adjust the corner styles of the text frame.

Edit 2: However, this all seems somewhat dependent on which shape tool one used originally before turning the shape into a text frame. You only get the context menu options relevant to that original shape, and it does not matter which shape tool is selected when you click on the text frame later. That is, I can start with a rounded rectangle, turn it into a text frame, then later I can click on it with any shape tool and I'll get the options relevant to a rounded rectangle.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1