You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To be honest I can't see much use for this. In my (moderate) experience, if you send the job to a commercial printer, they handle the imposition. If you need to print booklets on a local printer/mfd (with a booklet finisher), it's own driver will handle the imposition.

I've had problems in the past when the originator of a document has "helpfully" imposed the pages and I've had to re-arrange them so that the booklet actually prints correctly!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

If a print service wants imposed documents, I would definitely change the service!

Why? Think of a booklet, which definitely needs special imposing treatments, because the inner pages have to be cut more than the outer ones to achieve an even edge.

No layout software is able to do this, because there are many factors to observe, which you normally don‘t even know: paper weight, page number, binding, and, and, and …

4 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

No layout software is able to do this, because there are many factors to observe, which you normally don‘t even know: paper weight, page number, binding, and, and, and …

You certainly shouldn’t need this if you’re using a commercial printing service, but for those who want to print their own centre-stapled or saddle-stitched booklets it would be useful if the software offered an adjustment for ‘creep’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I did business with many printers over the years... for a few to many pages documents, never been asked for imposition of pages. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2018 at 9:16 AM, Fixx said:

I wonder what percentage of press facilities ask for a customer to provide imposition? I would guess around 2 % (none where I live), but trade customs may vary around the world.

Actually i use corel's own imposition system to print my affinity files... I design and print. It would be very helpful if i could send to my printer directly from affinity...

Not all press facilities are big house operation...  

• 1 year later...

This would be a big mistake for Affinity to focus on imposition at this stage of the game. I used to do manual imposition in Indesign and Quark years ago, but those days are over. If you are using any digital press from Canon, Ricoh, Xerox, Konica with a Fiery RIP you have basic book imposition options built in.

Now if you mean something like step and repeat, then yes I would agree that should be there... if it is not there. I do not use the software a whole lot, but still would not be a big must have feature over others that need adding and resolving.

There are options out there for imposition in Acrobat as well as stand alone imposition. If you are doing it enough it might be worth looking at Imposition Studio Pro. They have 2 versions a Digital and Offset. Not badly priced for pretty powerful imposition software. I was my main imposition software till our company merged with another and they use a different system.  

On 3/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, Whitewater Gallery said:

I have to stick with InDesign for the moment as imposition software is essential for my as I print myself to SRA3 so crop marks are essential.

Not sure if I understand you, because if you select file -> print you have the option to get a document printed with crop marks, which by the way, is the only way I've managed to get the double page images to spread on the bleed in the pdfs so regardless of whether the cut is a bit off there won't be problems with it. @Patrick Connor shouldn't the images on the pdf ready print file also behave that way?

• Staff

For PDF export, you would export "all pages" [which exports the document as single pages, rather than "all spreads" which is for reading facing pages as pairs], with crop marks and bleed, and the professional printers will/should take care of imposition themselves. More complicated impositions are left to specifically designed applications.

If you are wanting to impose yourself then we provide for that in our print path. We offer Model: "Book" & "Booklet" that impose accordingly. (see the print preview for details)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

It's very nice that Publisher includes the Booklet/Book printing options, however I don't see any options to adjust for creep. Is it possible? If not, it would be so nice to be able to have a check box to adjust for creep and then input paper thickness. It would be great to not have to rely on Adobe for this.

6 hours ago, Nathan Shirley said:

It's very nice that Publisher includes the Booklet/Book printing options, however I don't see any options to adjust for creep. Is it possible? If not, it would be so nice to be able to have a check box to adjust for creep and then input paper thickness. It would be great to not have to rely on Adobe for this.

You can‘t rely on Adobe for this, because Adobe apps don‘t have such a feature. I, personally, am glad that there is no such feature. It is the genuine job of your print service to impose documents correctly.

What you are essentially looking for, is a professional publishing app and(!) a professional imposition app – available for the price of restaurant visit.

1 hour ago, mac_heibu said:

You can‘t rely on Adobe for this, because Adobe apps don‘t have such a feature. I, personally, am glad that there is no such feature. It is the genuine job of your print service to impose documents correctly.

What you are essentially looking for, is a professional publishing app and(!) a professional imposition app – available for the price of restaurant visit.

Are you sure about that?

Creep, signatures, etc.

Capture_000556.png.557d38250dbecf74b2c3f3e6ee1f82d0.png

On 3/9/2020 at 1:22 PM, Patrick Connor said:

We offer Model: "Book" & "Booklet" that impose accordingly.

"Book" in particular is very limiting as you still cannot specify the number of signatures.  I'm not sure how generally usable it is for that reason.

The booklet mode, while a bit limited, is at least useful in its current form for most smaller booklets.

5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

"Book" in particular is very limiting as you still cannot specify the number of signatures.  I'm not sure how generally usable it is for that reason.

The booklet mode, while a bit limited, is at least useful in its current form for most smaller booklets.

Book is useful for both perfect binding and/or 3-hole binding (and then creep isn't needed). Signatures are only helpful if one is going to go whole-hog and sew (smyth sewn binding, where signature and creep functionality is necessary).

While I have made two books in my life using smyth sewn binding, it's not a normal thing for someone to do (and I can only chalk up my endeavors as an extreme labor of love).

Personally, as @mac_heibu wrote, if creep & signatures are needed, get an imposition application. If doing a booklet on thicker paper and/or more than 8 or 10 sheets are needed, get an imposition application. At least until such time as at least Serif adds at least creep for booklets.

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

If doing a booklet on thicker paper and/or more than 8 or 10 sheets are needed, get an imposition application. At least until such time as at least Serif adds at least creep for booklets.

Right, again though, I'd love to see creep added to Publisher so as to not have to rely on Adobe, or dedicated imposition software (and it couldn't be too complex or take up much GUI real estate in Publisher). Since Publisher offers booklet formatting it would only make sense to include creep. I also don't like having to transfer PDFs from program to program, very easy to have minor issues popup, and easy to overlook them.

Anyway, what non-Adobe software would you all recommended for adding creep?

1 hour ago, Nathan Shirley said:

Right, again though, I'd love to see creep added to Publisher so as to not have to rely on Adobe, or dedicated imposition software (and it couldn't be too complex or take up much GUI real estate in Publisher). Since Publisher offers booklet formatting it would only make sense to include creep. I also don't like having to transfer PDFs from program to program, very easy to have minor issues popup, and easy to overlook them.

For Mac/Windows, I've heard that Devalipi is good. 

https://www.devalipi.com

I use Montax Imposer, Windows only.

http://www.montax-imposer.com

Montax has a size-limited free version. I don't know its other limitations, if any.

Imposition software doesn't change any thing about the internals of a pdf, only rearranges the single page type pdfs for imposition (along with creep, signatures, etc.).

19 hours ago, Nathan Shirley said:

In case you are a Mac user (and for the sake of other Mac users), I suggest CreateBooklet 2. It is $20 US on the MAS, and it does have creep compensation. Here is a screenshot that demonstrates:

1222335985_ScreenShot2020-03-24at9_38_30AM.thumb.png.833f518112aac01e27b559e3ed619248.png

• 2 years later...
On 3/24/2020 at 7:44 AM, garrettm30 said:

In case you are a Mac user (and for the sake of other Mac users), I suggest CreateBooklet 2. It is $20 US on the MAS, and it does have creep compensation. Here is a screenshot that demonstrates:

Holy simoleons that is a nice tool for the kit. Thanks very much.

That said, creep accommodation should be a part of the design process not just the production process because you don't know what you're going to lose until it's lost. As a printer I can use my best judgement, but I shouldn't have to and, honestly, chances are it'll be automatic in software. Given that AFPUB supports independent page sizes the next step seems obvious, although a "creep margin" would be best.