You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1. Which app are you using?
  2. What are you trying to do?

Double clicking on the text will get you the text cursor so that you can edit the text, be it the artistic text or the text frame tool with text in the frame. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

41 minutes ago, geoffrey70 said:

I'm using Affinity photo.

I'm trying to edit the existing text without having it put new text on the layer

Select the appropriate tool (Artistic Text, or Frame Text). Click on the text you want to edit. Edit it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

Hi there !

I may have the same problem here...

I'm opening an affinity picture where I had text on it and I just want to edit the text.

Problem is when I click on the Text Layer I dont have any control on it...

My problem may be linked to what I did to finalize the editing of the picture because I can't even delete this layer (for example delete the text layer and add a new one). I mean I can delete the text layer but it stays on the picture.

I've done this picture editing a long time ago so I dont remember my last steps (maybe the one that sealed the document)

Thanks

Screenshot 2018-12-24 at 05.14.11.png

Screenshot 2018-12-24 at 05.14.16.png

I'm not on top of text; especially in Affinity but this is how I understand it  . You need to be careful you don't flatten the layers or rasterize the layer as that basically locks the text. A safer way is the merge visibility so the layers below can still be edited . Another trick is to duplicate and save the text layer before flattening  or rasterizing

Who can share some links to the more basic / beginner Ap text --- it's something I don't use a lot  but it would be good to understand a bit more

6 hours ago, Scriblerus said:

I mean I can delete the text layer but it stays on the picture.

If there is an Artistic (or Frame) text object on the Layers panel, like the Happy Birthday one in your second screenshot, you should be able to delete it, either by selecting it & pressing the Delete key, or by right-clicking on it in the Layers panel & selecting Delete from the popup menu. If it is still visible after doing that, it is possible there is a duplicate somewhere in the layer stack that also needs to be deleted. The text also might be rasterized & part of an upper pixel layer, but even if it is, you should still be able to delete the Artistic text layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You have probably created a merged layer, using Merge will create a separate layer and the layers you have selected to create the merged layer will still be there, Affinity doesn't delete them.

so by example...

• You have an image layer and a text layer
  • You select both the image layer and the text layer
  • You right click on either layer and select Merge visible
  • Affinity creates a new merged image layer

Layers created
587851593_ScreenShot2018-12-24at14_36_32.png.a577866bb1e541f78a4f48e8f9240a7d.png

Created layers selected
654810931_ScreenShot2018-12-24at14_36_53.png.035879e17b4c1a48b7c4acb3bab76544.png

Right clicking and selecting Merge visible
1942774261_ScreenShot2018-12-24at14_37_13.png.41c5734a750e59aa2a27fa2646e65499.png

New merged layer created and both original layers still there, turning off the text layer doesn't remove the text because a copy of the text layer is now baked into the merged layer with the image.
725763675_ScreenShot2018-12-24at14_37_46.png.17c920b62c24c3291257da008df67a0d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 12/24/2018 at 12:05 PM, R C-R said:

If there is an Artistic (or Frame) text object on the Layers panel, like the Happy Birthday one in your second screenshot, you should be able to delete it, either by selecting it & pressing the Delete key, or by right-clicking on it in the Layers panel & selecting Delete from the popup menu. If it is still visible after doing that, it is possible there is a duplicate somewhere in the layer stack that also needs to be deleted. The text also might be rasterized & part of an upper pixel layer, but even if it is, you should still be able to delete the Artistic text layer.

Well sadly I cant. And everything you see on both screenshots are in the same picture workflow so nothing hidden in other layers.

I dont remember exactly the steps I've done for this picture but I think at then end the tutorial was saying to rasterize... so It might be why when I delete the text layer from the layers panel it stays on the picture...

So no way to go back on this .affphoto document ?

I should do it again and merge layers instead of rasterize ?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Scriblerus said:

Well sadly I cant. And everything you see on both screenshots are in the same picture workflow so nothing hidden in other layers.

I dont remember exactly the steps I've done for this picture but I think at then end the tutorial was saying to rasterize... so It might be why when I delete the text layer from the layers panel it stays on the picture...

So no way to go back on this .affphoto document ?

I should do it again and merge layers instead of rasterize ?

Can you provide the .afphoto file, so we can actually see and play with it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 12/24/2018 at 5:20 AM, Scriblerus said:

Hi there !

I may have the same problem here...

I'm opening an affinity picture where I had text on it and I just want to edit the text.

Problem is when I click on the Text Layer I dont have any control on it...

My problem may be linked to what I did to finalize the editing of the picture because I can't even delete this layer (for example delete the text layer and add a new one). I mean I can delete the text layer but it stays on the picture.

I've done this picture editing a long time ago so I dont remember my last steps (maybe the one that sealed the document)

Thanks

Screenshot 2018-12-24 at 05.14.11.png

Screenshot 2018-12-24 at 05.14.16.png

Well it depends if the text is actually rasterized (as a pixel layer) or keept as editable text (artistic text) here and if you stored the APhoto file with history enabled or not. - In your second shown image the "Happy  Birthday Sophie" text layer can be edited and changed, since it is artistic text. Just enable it (check visable) and edit it accordingly.

For other possible rasterized (as pixel) text layers, or if those have been flattened all together to a pixel layer, you can't usually edit the text since it got's a bitmap representation. Here only an Undo or go/fall back in the History might help. Aka to get back to a state where the text hasn't been yet rasterized, so you have a chance to alter and edit it!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 month later...