You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overflowing Text Box

I've just updated to the latest Beta (140) and then opened a document that I made in a previous version (probably 139 or earlier on 14th September)

Untitled2 is a grab of the previous file (output as a PDF) and Untitled shows the result in the updated software.

I am unable to control the leading - which seems to be the reason for the overspill of text.

Any answers please?

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

The leading definitely looks bigger in your second screenshot.

You say you are "unable to control [it]". What have you tried?

If you're using Paragraph Styles there's a leading setting in the Paragraph panel:

leading1.png.928ca5b1bbc7948d818f0135b3175581.png

Or, you might have overridden it using the Character panel:

leading2.png.7afbd6ae45ab1fdf63d191399a57dc23.png

You might also try Text > Show Special Characters to help verify whether those are lines of a single paragraph or whether each line is its own paragraph, as that will affect spacing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt, thanks for your reply.

I checked 'special characters' and there's nothing added; and it all fitted properly under the previous version of the software - see Untitled3.

I selected all the text and checked the leading in the ToolBar. It said 'default' and 30pt. I changed this to 'exactly' 30pt and then scanned down the list expecting the value to change.

It did change, but not in the text itself ... See '4' and '5'

I've just deleted that text box and re-drawn it - it now behaves properly and the point size is now 18, not 30! Maybe there was something wrong before and the update has corrected this?

It was really odd last time because I'd set this document up in Apple's Pages, and the 30pt suggested in Affinity seemed wrong - it had been 18pt in Pages.

Just need to figure out how to make the text box transparent instead of white now!

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

Untitled5.png

Hi Walt

I'm now convinced that either the previous version of the software was at fault, or, more likely, I was doing something wrong.

I've re-set all the text - it now fits properly - 18pt instead of 30pt - and I even remembered how to make the background of the text box transparent.

Solved! But still cannot figure out why!

Best wishes ...

With luck someone will have some ideas about what might have happened before. Glad to hear you have it sorted it for now :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

HI WildCottage

Glad you managed to solve this. Unfortunately without the file it is tricky to say exactly what could have happened. Could have been anything form a character ofverride, some typography we fixed or simply a serialisation issue between versions

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.