You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot open or save with both affinity designer and photo beta

Hi

i have weird problem with both designer and photo beta (iMac 5k, OS X yosemite 10.10.2, designer 1.2 and photo beta 1.1.2). I can't save or open any files with designer or photo beta (including affinitys own files or all image files, pdf, ai ....) unless the files i try to open are in pictures folder or i save to pictures folder (pictures folder that OS X creates for user). Anywhere else, i get the error message you don't have permissions... or file is corrupt... or file is not found...  If i copy files to pictures folder then i can open them without problems.

Also preview in open file dialog shows red cross with all files when files are outside pictures folder.

So this is clearly some kind of wicked permissions problem between OS X and affinity apps only.  I don't have any permission problems with other softwares (like adobe cc, manga studio etc).

I also tried running the repair permission command but it had no effect whatsoever and i don't know what else to try. I recall with adobes software corrupted preferences files can cause problems so could this be something similar? Anyway i am out of ideas what to do.

Reinstalling had no effect either.

This is very annoying since i would love to use designer (and photo) but right now its impossible.

• Staff

We are very sorry to hear that you are having troubles with opening and saving using our product. :(

We can't reproduce this issue at our offices with any of our computers - including the 5K iMac running Yosemite, so we will need your help in obtaining some more information. Can you run the console application and then Affinity Designer, and see if the console application shows any error to do with Designer. Are you able to make a video of this issue and upload it to the forum? We have found that sometimes the Video will show problems that is not apparent, which will offer us some more clues into what is happening to your Mac.

Thanks.

Hi, by looking messages in console it indeed looks like OS X is blocking both designer and photo for some reason. 

I tried to save file i created in designer:

02/04/15 18:21:31,283 Affinity Designer[1088]: __41+[NSSavePanel _consumeSandboxExtensions:]_block_invoke: sandbox_consume_fs_extension failed

02/04/15 18:21:31,000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: Affinity Designe(1088) deny file-write-create /Users/ramit/Documents/TYOT/temp/test.afdesign

02/04/15 18:21:31,000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: Affinity Designe(1088) deny file-read-data /private/var/folders/s1/7l1z0r591fx108cww7q4sffm0000gn/C/com.apple.iconservices/store.index

02/04/15 18:21:31,000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: Affinity Designe(1088) deny file-read-data /private/var/folders/s1/7l1z0r591fx108cww7q4sffm0000gn/C/com.apple.iconservices/store.index

Then i tried to open a psd file in photo beta:

02/04/15 18:28:53,775 Affinity Photo Beta[1185]: __41+[NSSavePanel _consumeSandboxExtensions:]_block_invoke: sandbox_consume_fs_extension failed
02/04/15 18:28:53,000 kernel[0]: Sandbox: Affinity Photo B(1185) deny file-read-data /Users/ramitiihonen/Documents/TYOT/i-no/knauf/ino.psd

I checked security & privacy settings and  i actually have the allow apps downloaded from : anywhere setting on so its not that either. Also adding designer to Allow the apps below to control your computer section did not do anything, neither did turning firewall off.

• Staff

Hi RamiT,

That's actually very useful! It's failing because for some reason it thinks that there are too many files being opened. Basically, all the Sandbox security resources on your system have been exhausted, I will have to speak to my colleagues when I get back to the office to see if we can find out why.

It shouldn't happen unless you have over 3000+ files opened at any one time. Do you have lots of Plugins for Photo? Do you have any other applications open that are also Sandboxed?

Andy

Hi

Actually now that you mentioned exceeding 3000+ files i noticed it might have something to do with extensis suitcase plugin and fonts actually.

I have extensis suitcase and its  plugin for adobe cc that creates its own font browsing panel inside photoshop, illustrator, indesign and i have tons of lines as below in the console,  all related to affinity photo beta and suitcase, i did not realize these are related to my problem but since i have all fonts  activated that could explain exceeding the maximum file limit here. I am lazy so i usually don't make font groups and activate / deactivate as needed since i haven't noticed any notable performance hiccups anyways even if i have all fonts loaded. But hmm maybe i should =)

Here an example of one of those lines in console, all are similar and related to photo beta and suitcase:

02/04/15 18:28:39,602 Affinity Photo Beta[1185]: could not consume extension for /Users/ramit/Library/Extensis/Suitcase Fusion/Suitcase Fusion.fontvault/SA/l/OTPS/Adobe Systems/MyriadPro-SemiboldSemiCn/2.037/4276478249/MyriadPro-SemiboldSemiCn.otf (12:Cannot allocate memory)
02/04/15 18:28:39,602 Affinity Photo Beta[1185]: failed consuming extension 0 of 39

"Do you have any other application's open that are also Sandboxed?"

This i don't know since i have minimal knowledge of OS X sandboxing. If fonts are eating sandboxing resources is there a way to fix that without deactivating most of fonts or should i just deactivate those i don't never use anyways?

Rami

EDIT: i tested deactivating most of my fonts and problem solved =) both designer and photo work as should now. It would still be interesting to know why affinity apps conflicted with suitcase and fonts like this since i haven't run into similar problems with any other software. Anyways thanks Andy, i would not have thought of fonts without your input.

• Staff

I'm glad that you found a workaround for now! :)

Affinity Designer and Photo are both Sandbox applications which is one of the requirement by Apple so they can be allowed on the Mac App Store. OS X has a limit on the number of sandbox resources for security purposes which is shared by all Sandboxed applications. Both Adobe CC and Manga Studio are not under these restrictions so they won't be affected since I don't think they are Sandboxed.

I will see if I can put something into the next betas to help alleviate this problem.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

...and a year later if the cause is still that you have run out of sandbox file allocations, then you still potentially have another sandboxed app running which is being greedy.

There may be other reasons that permissions are not granted, but if it cannot be fixed using the fix permissions approach then check for the above errors that RamiT has identified.  We are not responsible for other apps hogging resources, or the behaviour of OSX's sandboxing.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am having permissions issues. 

• When I try to place an external image file into an Affinity doc I get the 1st attached message about no permission.
  • When I try to save and close a document, I get the second attached message about permissions. 

I have reinstalled. I am running 1.6.1 and my machines specs are attached.

Advise?

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 5.36.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 5.40.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 5.47.20 PM.png

7 hours ago, ryanlockhart said:

... my machines specs are attached.

According to that, you are running the recently released developer beta version of Mojave. Since it is intended only for testing purposes, you should also have a stable 10.14.4 version for normal work. What happens if you boot into that version instead?

BTW, Apple recommends that you not post serial numbers of their products to publicly accessible internet sites, I think because they can be used to obtain a small amount of personal information about the owner of record of the device, or maybe for other reasons. So you might want to obscure that in the posted image.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7