You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening from and saving to Apple photos

I am sure this is a dumb question, but I have just started on the desktop version on iMac , have been using the iPad version for a few months. In the iPad version. Raw files open straight into Raw from my photos and when I save go back there, but I have no idea how to do this on the desktop version. If I try t open from Photos it opens as the JPEG file and I have no idea how and where to access my RAW version and how to open it. I did manage to find one but when I saved it I don't know where it goes or how to save it into photos again. It is so much easier on the iPad . I can see it has saved to a file with a number, but I don't know where.

Hope some one can help telling me how to set this up. Cheers

• Staff

Hi Agypsy :)

How are you transferring your files to the desktop to be opened?

In terms of saving back to Apple photos, I recommend reading the following thread as it outlines the process and limitations to be aware of :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thanks for that

At the moment I don't know how to get my raw files in, when I click on the edit with Affinity photo it opens in JPEG format, and that's not what I want. So far I have only managed 1 RAW pic , not sure how and then I don't know where it saved  the edited photo to. It is so annoying. It is all so much easier in the iPad version.

Thanks for the link on saving I will read it all through

• Staff

No problem at all. How are you saving your RAW images to your Mac? Are they copied to your iPad directly and then uploaded to Apple Photos through the iCloud? Or are you plugging your camera into your Mac and copying your RAW files off directly? 

If you are viewing the image in the Gallery View of Photos, then using the 'Edit in' function, Apple usually sends through an embedded JPEG to Affinity, not the RAW file itself.

If you are in the Editing View of Photos, then use the 'Edit in' function, it should send through the RAW file and should open in the develop persona.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

3 hours ago, Agypsy said:

If I try t open from Photos it opens as the JPEG file and I have no idea how and where to access my RAW version and how to open it.

As mentioned in the topic Dan C linked to, use the "Edit in Affinity Photo" option (not the "Edit with' one) to open the RAW file in Affinity Photo. This will open the RAW format file into the Develop Persona, so you can develop the photo & do whatever else you want to it with the other personas after development. Then save it, which will show a progress bar indicating a 'save as' is occurring. Once that is finished, close the file & go back to Apple Photos, where you will see two buttons, one to cancel & the other to "Save Changes." Click the save one to accept the edit into the Photos library. Click "Done" to exit Apple Photos Edit mode.

An important thing to understand about Apple Photos is it always retains the original 'master' version of the photo. If you edit it, it also saves the edited version, but only one edited version is saved, so after clicking "Done" (whether you edited in Affinity Photo or with the editing features built into Apple Photos) Apple Photos will always show you the edited version. You can revert to the original master version only by going into Edit mode in Apple Photos, & clicking on the "Revert To Original" button. This will delete the edited version, so you lose any edits you have done & will have to start over if you do that.

Another very important thing to understand (that some users in the other topic didn't seem to understand too well) is that you should never ever try to alter any of the Apple Photos Library files from Finder. As the warning at the end of this Apple support article says, doing so can delete or corrupt a Photos Library.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, Agypsy said:

At the moment I don't know how to get my raw files in, when I click on the edit with Affinity photo it opens in JPEG format, and that's not what I want.

From the Apple Photos help topic "Use a RAW file as the original" there is this:
1196572279_UseaRAWfileastheoriginal22.jpg.896781996d4eb7fcfa12e89d546ffeb5.jpg

So if your camera is producing both formats, use this method to use the RAW file as the original.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, Agypsy said:

Thanks, but can't see where the Edit IN is

It depends on the version of Apple Photos you are using, but for version 3 (like is installed with High Sierra), once you are in edit mode, look for the extensions button at the top of the window (looks like 3 dots in a circle). Click that to reveal the extensions menu:
extensions.jpg.ce7258b0b6d665dc1c7095ff9488093f.jpg

Affinity Photo 

Can you launch Affinity Photo normally, like by double-clicking on the app's icon in the Applications folder?

Affinity Photo 

So if you do that first & leave Affinity Photo in the background, what happens if you then try to use 'Edit in' from Apple Photos?

If you still get an error message, could you attach a screenshot of it to your reply?

Affinity Photo 

Tried 2 ways.

in photos edit changed to Image use raw as original

1. tried edit I Affinity from the edit section - same answer, can't open Affinity photos

2. Tried open from Affinity  File Open and picked from photos  and it opens the file as a TIFF

so I am blowed if I know what is happening.

7 minutes ago, Agypsy said:

1. tried edit I Affinity from the edit section - same answer, can't open Affinity photos

Please try opening Affinity Photo first as per my last reply, & if that does not work please attach the requested screenshot of the error message. 

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

This is a bug our developers are aware of, we're not certain of the reason as it only happens on certain Macs, but we're looking into it and hope to have it fixed asap!

Thanks, I think Dan, but where does that leave me? With a reasonable expensive program sitting on my desktop that is almost useless. I can't access photos to process without a long roundabout route and then they may or may not be in Raw, then I can't save them in a place I can find them. I can get plenty of practice in editing though, but to no avail.

I must say I am really disappointed as the iPad version has been great, and I just purchased your workbook also at great cost in order to master the process.

Not happy.

I am still unable to find a way to open photos in RAW from my desktop and if I do manage to save them back to my camera roll, seems we have come to a dead end and the program is virtually useless for my purpose, I am so disappointed.

• Staff

I've been looking into this for you and it appears to be an issue arising from the Affinty.store install version, over the Mac App store. I've informed our developers of this, and we can now look into fixing it, but I believe it will require some work with Apple to obtain the correct digital signatures.

I'll message you directly now, as I believe I can provide a solution for this.

• 2 months later...

I'm not the OP but it seems I'm running into the same issue ("Affinity Photo could not be launched, Please press Cancel." when attempting to Edit In... using Raw (Raw+JPEG) from Canon 5D Mark III, Photos 4.0, Mojave 10.14.2, NOT the App Store version of Affinity Photo - direct download. Tried both settings of "Use RAW as original" (that is, yes and no).

It doesn't appear to be a public posting of an answer... have I just missed it somewhere?

Thanks,

-brad

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 2.43.53 PM.png

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

• Staff

Hi bbrighton :)

Thanks for your report, I'm sorry to hear this. This is an issue our devs are aware of and are working to fix it currently. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update!