You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move ruler origin

Undoubtedly this request is already somewhere in the many; and a google search shows lots of energetic pleas for it:

The ability to move the ruler origin is essential for my work. 

I can't dump Illustrator until I get this feature as well as arrowheads and calligraphic brushes.

Designer has some amazing features, but if we're to have a satisfactory replacement for Illustrator, wouldn't it be better to provide the absolutely basic and essential features first and then add the arcane stuff later?  (Same problem in Publisher – can't anchor images and that's absolutely basic and essential for dumping InDesign.)

Affinity team, please focus on the can't-live-without features of Illustrator and put them in Designer ... until you do, we're still being price gouged by Adobe.  Meanwhile, I find I'm using Graphic far more than Designer because at least it has arrowheads (not as good as Illustrator, but acceptable) and calligraphic brushes.

There's so much to love about Designer but the missing essential features become a source of resentment the longer they're missing. 

I guess Affinity is still deciding whether they want us to leave Adobe or just use Designer as well ...??

Sticking to my old Illustrator CS4, as some basic but essential features are still missing...
The ability to move the ruler origin is absolutely essential for many... I also wish it will be integrated in next updates...

Love the app, and hope I'll be able to make a complete move soon....

• 3 months later...
On 1/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, zenmom said:

I also am eagerly awaiting this feature. Went looking for it today in Affinity Designer and was surprised it didn't seem to be there. 

Try Afinity Publisher Beta (maybe it's already in AP and AD beta).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, Hokusai said:

As an update in case you might not know but this is currently in the latest Designer Beta. 

Thank you for adding.

Just for interest, I wrote this request - should therefore apply to Affinity Suite.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Hokusai, thank you for mentioning that the function is available in the latest Designer Beta. However, when I look at the website, I see the Publisher Beta but no mention of a Designer Beta. Do you know how I could access & download a Designer beta?  TIA for any info. 

• Staff

Hi zenmom,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Here's the links for the latest Designer Beta:

You can find all the Betas in the Affinity Beta Software Forums section usually pinned at the top of the respective applications section.

Dear MEB,

Thanks for the link, I was able to download & install the Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.4) for Mac.

However, when I went to open it, I got the following message: "To participate in the beta you need to install Affinity Designer Beta from the Mac App Store, or have a valid product key." The Mac App Store has the regular release, but not the beta. 

Do I need a product key, and if so, where might I find one?

TIA for your assistance.

• Staff

Hi zenmom,
Since Affinity Publisher is a new product it's currently is available as a Public Beta meaning everyone can install it freely to test/give feedback. All the other products (Affinity Photo and Designer) were already released as commercial products and the corresponding Betas (which we call Customer Betas) are only available for customers who own/purchase them. So if you have purchased Affinity Designer you can download and install the Beta - just make sure the retail/commercial version is installed - and the Beta will validate and run without issues (or use your product key in case you uninstalled it if you have bought the app through the Affinity Store). If you didn't purchase Designer then there's no way to run the Customer Beta, sorry. I assumed you did have it. My apologies. I should have been more clear regarding this.