You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.2.0.24229)

The new grid system is AWESOME!

Two things I have noticed so far:

1) Grid spacing units should not only be constrained to Millimeter. I'm working on screen designs and need a grid in pixels.

2) Values cannot be adjusted with the mouse-wheel but only by direct input or the sliders. I would favor a system like in Photoshop where you can klick on the value field and drag the mouse (or graphic tablet pen) to the side to adjust the values.

Thank you

Hi Narlei,

just to make sure: you are using a mouse with a scroll wheel? Then it should work ... you should be able to place the mouse cursor (pointer) on (over) a numeric input field and change the respective value just by moving the scroll wheel. And there should be the following options available:

Fine (+/- 0.1): Hold Option while scrolling

Coarse (+/- 10): Hold Shift while scrolling

I have checked this also with different system preference settings for my mouse …

Strange.  :unsure:

Alex

But wow, there seems to be a bug indeed. When holding Option and using the scroll wheel over an numeric input field, the incrementation / decrementation does not work properly. Please have a look my video. And just to make sure, snapping was disabled, when I shot this.

As far as I remember this option worked in previous versions.  :unsure:

Cheers,

Alex  :)

Hi Alex,

I have a Apple Magic Mouse and it does not work. I tested with a mouse with scroll and physical work. (Also tested with other softwares, and are working)
I have friends designers and they use the magic mouse. I believe that many people use, so if possible, I would ask them to do it work with the magic mouse.
Tested it with MacBook Pro 2012 and iMac 2011 and had the same result.

Thank you for your attention!

Hi Alex,

I have a Apple Magic Mouse and it does not work. I tested with a mouse with scroll and physical work. (Also tested with other softwares, and are working)
I have friends designers and they use the magic mouse. I believe that many people use, so if possible, I would ask them to do it work with the magic mouse.
Tested it with MacBook Pro 2012 and iMac 2011 and had the same result.

Thank you for your attention!

Same here! Magic Mouse scrolling does not affect numeric values.

Ah, well, I see … I think we must leave the issue to the devs …  :)

@ Martin … please have a look here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4477-affinity-designer-customer-beta-11222384/?p=19273

… and at the answer:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4477-affinity-designer-customer-beta-11222384/?p=19360

Okay, thank you for pointing this out.

I disagree that it is useful to always have the original transformation available. First, you can save the history now. So you can retrieve the original transformation if you like. Second, let us the user decide what is useful and what's not. It would have saved me time, if I could simply reset the transformation boxes and have every object aligned to the axes.

btw.: I use Designer not just for illustrations, but I think it is a perfect basis for technical drawings. It is also one of the few apps out there that's line widths are correctly interpreted by our laser-cutter. So I think some better measuring, aligning and labeling capabilities would be very useful (e.g. arrows as line-caps - not the arrow shapes, because there is a) no bending-feature and b ) lines are easier to snap to other objects - if you want to show data-flows for example)

• Staff

The new grid system is AWESOME!

Two things I have noticed so far:

1) Grid spacing units should not only be constrained to Millimeter. I'm working on screen designs and need a grid in pixels.

2) Values cannot be adjusted with the mouse-wheel but only by direct input or the sliders. I would favor a system like in Photoshop where you can klick on the value field and drag the mouse (or graphic tablet pen) to the side to adjust the values.

Thank you

Grid spacing will be displayed in whatever unit your document was created in - so if that was mm, then it is shown in mm.  You can still type in a value in px, but it will get converted to mm when displayed in the control.

Hey Matt, grids aren't showing for me, but ARE working. Getting snapping prompts and the lot. I can see them in Photo though and wow. Bugger me is it nice. Good work chaps.

If you can't see them, trying zooming in/out - they stop rendering when the lines get too tight.  If there's still a problem, we'll have to look into it.

Custom grids are here ... Wait ... Custom grids? There is a world of grid systems available now ... thanks, Ben, amazing work!  :D

One single thing (perhaps for the next beta?) ... the option to lock guides.

Guides are going to be improved very soon.  Locking will be added then.

Wow, Grids are amazing! Very cool Ben! Only thing, we need to be able to set custom colors; right now they're very hard to see against the white page... But man, the functionality is amazing, so many cool options... Might also be nice to be able to Load and Save grid presets, for when many docs share the same structure...

The grids thing is still a work in progress.  There will be options soon for changing the colour of the grid.  I'm also thinking about a light/dark/opaque scheme as the grid colours currently complement the colour scheme for snapping and guides/margins.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

If you mean selecting them through the Layers panel, that's by design. This is to allow you to edit an object without having to unlock layers if you explicitly select it from the Layers panel. On canvas you can't select/edit it if it's locked.

We may have to take a look to the ⌘ (cmd) + A shortcut for locked layers...

I think my problem was aimed at the ⌘+A mostly then, nice to know the design part  ;) 

But yeah ⌘+A shouldn't select locked layers. 

Ben, I really think a Blend Mode setting for guides, grids, and any other UI element that lives on the image would be quite helpful. Often times the colors of the guides don't matter as much as there being a visible contrast difference, which blend modes enable dynamically. Perhaps the best implementation is a combination, as you suggest, of color, transparency and blend mode...

Keep up the great work!

The grids thing is still a work in progress.  There will be options soon for changing the colour of the grid.  I'm also thinking about a light/dark/opaque scheme as the grid colours currently complement the colour scheme for snapping and guides/margins.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Okay, thank you for pointing this out.

I disagree that it is useful to always have the original transformation available. First, you can save the history now. So you can retrieve the original transformation if you like. Second, let us the user decide what is useful and what's not. It would have saved me time, if I could simply reset the transformation boxes and have every object aligned to the axes.

btw.: I use Designer not just for illustrations, but I think it is a perfect basis for technical drawings. It is also one of the few apps out there that's line widths are correctly interpreted by our laser-cutter. So I think some better measuring, aligning and labeling capabilities would be very useful (e.g. arrows as line-caps - not the arrow shapes, because there is a) no bending-feature and b ) lines are easier to snap to other objects - if you want to show data-flows for example)

You can do this already. Either press the . (Full stop) key, or use the button on the context bar. It will reset the selection box to an axis aligned box.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ben, I posted this in another thread but never heard back — I know you guys are busy :) — so since I got your attention here, I figured I'd repost:

It would be great if:

1. Grids were a little smarter, by offering a mode where they appear and disappear only while the user is dragging an object around. 

2. Guides/Grids can be manually or are automatically toggled on while the mouse is held down. As soon as the mouse is released, the grids/guides disappear.

3. Custom colors/blend modes for guides and grids, including solid and dotted/hashed lines.

4. Load and Save Grids/Guides ala Swatches, Styles, etc. 

Once again, the tool is feeling great!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

First look at the custom grid setup is pretty impressive. Nice options adding divisions in there. Combined with snapping and you're already years ahead of that other app  ;). Really nice start guys!

Is there a way to save grid setups or create presets either in there now or coming?  Cheers!

I expect to see a ton of isometric stuff now...  :)

• Staff

Any news today? :)

You're an addict! Hehe! :S

We've got a few things we're in the middle of sorting out, so I think it depends on whether we reach a nice solution before the end of the day (in which case we might produce something tomorrow) or whether it will need the weekend to work through things first... Sorry I can't be more sure at the moment - we just don't like to try to rush things because it always ends badly!

Thanks,

Matt

You're an addict! Hehe! :S

We've got a few things we're in the middle of sorting out, so I think it depends on whether we reach a nice solution before the end of the day (in which case we might produce something tomorrow) or whether it will need the weekend to work through things first... Sorry I can't be more sure at the moment - we just don't like to try to rush things because it always ends badly!

Thanks,

Matt

Yes, the Affinity Weed...uhm Designer... makes me feel very high :D

A few more customers like me and Adobe will fill for bankruptcy in no time ;)

I was wondering what’s the status of those extra shortcuts? I really need those Shift + X to change fill color with stroke color, Some shortcut to remove existing fill, and of course some shortcut for the eyedropper tool.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.