You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Mesh

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2018 at 11:26 PM, IsabelAracama said:

And how would ppl receive a feature like the new Ai freedom gradient tool?

I'm saddened that non primitive gradients are not a thing in Designer. While I have purchased all three of the Affinity suite, it will not feel like home till I can do some form of mesh or freeform gradient.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 For this feature, I had someone send me an AI for a job and I can't see the background, found it it's a gradient mesh. 

I really thought that Affinity was going to be a replacement for Adobe, but using after my Adobe licence ran out, I'm disappointed to see so many features missing. For this I'm unable to use it in a professional workplace. I hope Affinity get's there, but it isn't there yet. Time to renew my Adobe licence. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/9/2019 at 8:56 PM, dsnaps12 said:

319299185_contourgradient.jpg.e0ed23a87bbb80e1aa5057d6d2c9fc46.jpg

This would be nice like Freehand MX had. Countour gradients where the colors follow the shape of the object.

When Affinity does implement these type of gradients I hope they make them work correctly with printing..lol
Illustrators gradients mesh and new freeform gradients have huge color shift issues when switching color modes.

Contour option is easy to do now with the new Offset tool + FX blur.

I didn't know the AI free form gradient (I still use AI CS4…) and I confess it's great ! Sometimes I've used the mesh tool but only for basic things, never convinced by this tool.

contour gradient.afdesign

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 for this.

Agree with the previous that the Freeform version of this feature looks easier, but the Illustrator Mesh tool is probably more compatible with other formats. I'd imagine either would be difficult to implement for the most compatibility, especially if it had to be converted to pixels, detail could be lost (especially with large-format reproduction.)

Edited by OllyH
changed as for if

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

I love working with Affinity, but I still carry an old Illustrator CS6 on my setups because AF Designer lacks such important features as Adobe's Gradient Mesh. Until now I have avoided the Adobe subscription. But if a comparable function is not included in the next Affinity major release, my next budget will probably go to the competitor again. It's a shame that so little has happened. Mesh gradients are not a nice to have for illustrators in the 21st century, they are essential!

Ich arbeite gern mit Affinity, schleppe aber auf meinen Setups noch immer eine alte Illustrator CS6 mit, weil im AF Designer so wichtige Funktionen wie Adobes Gradient Mesh fehlen. Bis jetzt habe ich das Adobe Abo vermieden. Wenn eine vergleichbare Funktion im nächsten Affinity Major-Release nicht dabei ist, geht mein nächstes Budget aber wohl wieder an den Mitbewerber. Es ist schade, dass so wenig passiert ist. Mesh Gradient sind für Illustratoren im 21. Jahrhundert kein Nice to have, sie sind essentiell!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually Affinity Designer does have free form gradient.  It was added at the beginning of 2020 to Affinity Designer with the new Appearances tab which allows you to add multiple fills and strokes to a layer.  If you add a gradient either circle or ellipse to the fill and then set the right sides opacity to 0% so its completely transparent and the left side to the desired colour and set the blend mode to average (or you can play around with it) it will become a free form gradient point and function just like free form gradient in Adobe Illustrator.  Duplicate the fills and adjust the color on the left and you will have multiple gradient points that will interact with one another.  Use the handles on the gradient to stretch and shrink the area of coverage of the gradient and how much it overlaps with the gradient fill point next to it.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...