You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Mesh

Not only does Affinity not seem to have them, it won't open them from Illustrator. I opened a design that used them, and it's showing those layers as black! : (  

I was hoping to quit Ps and Ai, replacing with Affinity Photo and Designer. But this might not be possible without support for this. Darn! I was so hopeful.

There are plans for a Mesh Fill Tool for Designer, however, I don't think it will support the native Gradient Mesh from Illustrator, but I may as well be wrong.

Best regards!

• 2 weeks later...

And how would ppl receive a feature like the new Ai freedom gradient tool? 

I honestly never was a fan of gradient meshes cause I never ever needed them to do my illustrations at all, and when I used them all looked a bit artificial compared to my own techniques to achive this without a mesh, and  cause I'm used to work things more "freehand", but maybe if I'd try something nicely created but the Serif guys I'd change my mind, who knows... I looked into this video, and really was not very impressed or at least not as much as the ones presenting it as "awesome". Maybe some users like it?

14 hours ago, IsabelAracama said:

Hello @IsabelAracama well personaly i'm a big fan of gradient and the way they can make a composition even dreamy or simply good enough but never get my hand to it with Adobe products, it was frustrating but then came Affinity where i actually got to the point of gradient and how to create them and the color theory thing.

That was a bit of story ... Now ! that new tool is just great and very useful when we consider it is always a nightmare to create and abstract background (we're not all Mozart nor Pablo Picasso :D)

i suggest Affinity to come up with something even better, why would you ask?
Simply because i perceive a bit of Styles thing we have in ADesigner mixed with the already existing Ai Mesh tool.

To me Serif need to bring a real Nec-PLus-Ultra Free Gradient, Blend/interpolate Tool, Shape builder and keep improving the snapping in the products we use.
Reall it's pure merveille to work with APub for printing projects (i've done few personal things and they just made young peoples go crazy around me) but keep making the product even professional.

in the same time, Chapeau to Adobe for the way they improve their interface and it's whole actions (flipping menus ... they also got inspired by Serif for iPad for this and simply ported it to desktop ... :D ... my joke to world).

Well ... let's improve !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

On 10/18/2018 at 9:26 AM, IsabelAracama said:

I honestly never was a fan of gradient meshes cause I never ever needed them to do my illustrations at all, and when I used them all looked a bit artificial compared to my own techniques to achive this without a mesh, and  cause I'm used to work things more "freehand", but maybe if I'd try something nicely created but the Serif guys I'd change my mind, who knows... I looked into this video, and really was not very impressed or at least not as much as the ones presenting it as "awesome". Maybe some users like it?

Thanks for posting this video - I, for one, would LOVE to see a similar feature in Designer!!! :)

The Freeform gradient is a 100 times more useful than the tired old Mesh gradient. The mesh is complicated as hell to use and ends up just creating a jumbled mess of points and lines.

I mean just look at how much easier the points and lines are to work with in a freeform versus an old style mesh. This is the way this feature should be implemented, traditional mesh is outdated. I'm definitely no Adobe fan, but they really knocked it out of the park with this new feature. I will never use a mesh again (not that i do very often anway, but still)....

Freeform is what should be in AD, if there's working code that exists for the old style mesh, just throw it in the bin! haha!

no mesh copy.jpg

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

On 10/10/2018 at 1:05 AM, Mithferion said:

There are plans for a Mesh Fill Tool for Designer, however, I don't think it will support the native Gradient Mesh from Illustrator, but I may as well be wrong.

Best regards!

Hi @Mithferion ... just to have it; that's actually what most of peoples here wants and care about.
having ADesigner or even photo to open stuffs from Adobe gradient concept or works is really something else which can be considered as a work arround or possibility released in an update of our tool but... as i said and i believe many will agree with me on this (even you) ... Just having a revolutionary Gradient Mesh or Free thing gradient that works and enable us all to do amazing stuffs is what we all need here (just talking about this tool).

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

The main reason for me to say what I say is that Affinity reas the PDF representation embedded in AI files, and if a PDF doesn't support the Mesh Gradients, most likely that would be impossible to be editables as in Illustrator.

But then again, I may be wrong.

Best regards!

Well @Mithferion wasn't coming agaisnt you at all.
Dear all i invite you to look at this video from my dear friend Tom Cargill from Satori Graphics he did on the new Gradient thing.
I believe we can all learn from this (even Serif Devs and Tech), please guys (talking to Devs) if you have planned to deliver a similar tool on coming releases, make sure we don't fall into the trap we see in the linked video.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Gradient meshes are a supported property of a PDF...

capture-002285.png.5123e7d5606eae363a280b94d8fe3694.png

Thank you so much for your help in the matter at hand, Mike!

This is a favorable fact for this topic.

Best regards!

27 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Thank you so much for your help in the matter at hand, Mike!

This is a favorable fact for this topic.

Best regards!

Yes. Possibly. Any export to pdf and maintaining meshes as vector may well depend upon the capabilities of the pdf library Serif uses. And even if it is possible doesn't mean AI can read it as vector. AI is the absolute worst pdf editor. 

I have to agree on gradient meshes. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I used the gradient mesh tool in Illustrator. It was one of those features that always seemed like it would be really powerful, but in practice was always too hard to get looking just right. 

Illustrator's new freeform gradient tool looks like a big step up, but honestly, I think Affinity Designer still needs to walk before it runs. Fancy gradients are good headline grabbers, but there are other, more basic tools like blend / live repeat, scatter brushes, and vector/pattern strokes that Illustrator has had for over twenty years and Affinity Designer is heading into its fourth without.

6 hours ago, MikeK36 said:

What I would like to be able to do is have a gradient follow the line of a curve - see really simple example attached - I tend want to use this quite often.

freeform fill.jpg

You can kind of achieve what you want in Designer - just made a screen capture, which goes on to me just riffin' with another idea of applying to text (I thought I'd switched off the screen capture at that point but just left it in to illustrate another technique) the only prob here is the output will be rasterised, if I remember right, affinity only supports 2 colour gradients at present so creating artwork in 3 spot colour gradients, for example,  would be rasterised and lose the spot colour information   

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 9 months later...

hi guys its past long but i want to share my way of following curve gradient.

1. creating first donut for base shape

2. duplicate it for 4 times

3. scale 3 colored donut how you want it to be then put them in another donut

4 when you merge donuts give gaussian blur .

5 for avoidin gaussian blur feathering . Iput them into another donut . layer composition in image more easy :d

gradien curve (2).jpg

• 1 month later...

Well ... I'm SUPER Fan of Affinity Designer ... But unfortunately there is no feature that comes close to the Mesh Tool. See in the link what you can do with the tool. There is no way to compare! It is a super advanced feature that is needed for those who want to illustrate. Apart from this Mario, I saw a bunch of other wonderful illustrations looking like 3D effects with Mesh Tool.

8c3d6f53157365.5a165980ef972.png

https://www.behance.net/gallery/53157365/Super-Mario-Vector-Illustrator-Mesh-Tool

319299185_contourgradient.jpg.e0ed23a87bbb80e1aa5057d6d2c9fc46.jpg

This would be nice like Freehand MX had. Countour gradients where the colors follow the shape of the object.

When Affinity does implement these type of gradients I hope they make them work correctly with printing..lol
Illustrators gradients mesh and new freeform gradients have huge color shift issues when switching color modes.