Earlio

Mojave Metal Accelerator not Working for Affinity

Still no solution.  I note that Affinity Photo has dropped out of the Create list on the Apple Store.  Any connection to the lack of support for this bug, I wonder.

On 10/13/2018 at 11:44 AM, ErrkaPetti said:

WHY do you install Movaje if you're an professional user of photo editing and have customers depending on your job?

As a Pro, never be an early adopter of software... If your system and program is 100% OK, hesitate before upgrading to new versions in both software and OS-upgrades...

I am agree with you on this. Everything is working fine right now, I do look forward to being able to upgrade to Mojave, but I can wait. 

Andy

On 11/1/2018 at 6:48 AM, abfdesign said:

I am agree with you on this. Everything is working fine right now, I do look forward to being able to upgrade to Mojave, but I can wait. 

Andy

Thanks for the comment.

I disagree. I always install the new OS at public betas and have rarely had issues. I am taking a risk in installing a beta, but no-one should be shamed for installing a proper, tested release; especially when they did their homework about it.

I agree Apple can be secretive when it comes to owning their bugs.

I also have this issue (with batch processing) on Mojave and it seems to relate to the number of cores used when parallel processing. More than 8 images and the job chokes up. Can confirm the workaround is simply to turn off parallel processing. Further issues with slowness are solved for me by disabling Metal compute checkbox (but can select Metal in the dropdown). On Macbook Pro 2017 15 inch.

Edited by robrecord
typo - said batch processing instead of parallel processing

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the positive response.

I tend not to argue with negative comments on Forums, as this usually leads to further arguments and sometimes turn nasty.

As you say, I did research before installing Mojave, and when no issues were flagged (at least on the software I have installed) so went ahead.  This is a method I have used for many years, and with Macs, this has always stood me in good stead.  I must admit to rushing this one a bit (I often wait a month or more for a change of OS) but was keen to get to grips with Dark Mode.

I have purchased an old iMac from a friend,  still on Sierra, but works fine, so I am not in quite the jam I found myself in when first posting.

Whatever happened to "It just works"?

Threads like this one are among the reasons I decided to opt out of installing Mojave at this time. For one thing, we usually do not install new operating systems on our studio Macs unless there is a really golden reason for it. For example, maybe the new OS has some irresistible feature we can’t do without. Or perhaps our older OS isn’t manifesting a bug that affects oenor more of our most often used applications.

Part of my due diligence in investigating Mojave was coming to this forum to see if a number of bugs or inconsistencies with AFFINITY PHOTO were being reported, since PHOTO is a major part of our studio workflow. I literally can’t afford to be without it, if it can be helped. 

Even when a new OS is tested, vetted, and approved for rollout, there is never a *guarantee* that it’s going to work 100% with all your applications. This is especially true when you decide to upgrade your OS as opposed to doing either a fresh install of the OS or buying a new computer. There are simply too many pieces of leer and possibly even unique code on your system to make things entirely predictable.

I'm sorry this series of issues happened original poster and to others. I’m glad there have been helpful responses from the Mods and the app developers. They DO listen to the users, which support is among the reasons I love and use AFFINITY products and have switched away from the rental fees and the clutches of Adobe.  

Having gone in 11 weeks from an advocate of Affinity Photo to a critic, I was discussing the issues with a coder friend and he made the following comments.

1. It would appear fairly obvious that Serif do not give a damn when an issue affects a small amount of users

2. Given that this issue appears to have been fixed in the Beta version, a patch / fix could have been issued instead of awaiting an official release

3. To make affected users wait up to 3 months for a fix is unacceptable in todays marketplace

I have now purchased Luminar, and although (once again) have had to go through a learning curve, the app is pretty quick, intuitive and has a lot of features - now including a library feature.  I have now pretty much given up on Affinity Photo.  The process to go through to to do a batch process, the fact that missing any one step means repeating the whole process, the fact that the only way to stop batch processing is to Force Quit, the poor response and cavalier attitude of Serif on an issue that makes the app unusable has been enough for me to completely revise my advice to others in terms of what to buy as a reliable and well featured Photo Editing app and tell others not to touch this with a bargepole.

Hugely disappointed.

7 hours ago, Earlio said:

Having gone in 11 weeks from an advocate of Affinity Photo to a critic, I was discussing the issues with a coder friend and he made the following comments...

Hugely disappointed.

@Earlio, it was apparent rather early on that you were headed in this direction. That said, I'm really sorry you ran into the difficulties that you did with the software, and that those difficulties were unreasonably compounded in your mind by the wait.

All of that said, what I'm more interested in is that Serif actually DID listen. They understood the nature of the issue, commented about their efforts to fix it, and then implemented that fix in the beta. I'm not sure Serif has ever issued a rapid patch for their software, so I wouldn't assume they would do the same here. But I do understand that your own expectations were let down.

As to talking to another coder, his input is completely irrelevant for the discussion. He has nothing whatsoever to do with this software's development or release schedule.

As for Luminar, I might share your opinion of this rather basic-level software. Long ago I purchased Luminar as well as the sequel Luminar 2018. I was excited to learn about Luminary With Libraries and purchased that, too; however, I can't get past the Activation screen. It hangs my Mac, and I need to shut down several apps, as well as restart my Mac for things to run stably again. THAT is what I call real disappointment. What a waste! No thanks. :(

So I do understand your point of view when problems like these arise when all you want to do is move forward and work again. But I don't share your issues with Affinity Photo. 

I'll happily stick with Affinity Photo and their developers. Their tools have given me a viable and all-but-complete replacement for Photoshop, with which I can maintain a tight and familiar workflow. In Affinity Photo release 1.7 a number of already excellent tools are being refined in ways that I find helpful and refreshing.

While I wouldn't spend the sort of time that you do criticizing software you don't intend to use, I'm glad you found a solution for your needs. 

Hi Ulysses,

Thank you for your comments.

I think that you misunderstood the issue, my reasons for the criticism, and have made some erroneous assumptions.  Have you read all of the posts?  Are you actually aware of the issues that I have been complaining about?   Allow me to lay this out for you, to save from you form having to start at the beginning.

I purchased Affinity Photo as an early adopter, and having come from a Photoshop workflow, I was impressed with the software, the tuition videos and the initial support.

I bought a new 2017 MacBook Pro, and updated to Mojave, and it was immediately apparent that the software had compatibility issues.  I had not jumped in with the Mojave update immediately, and waited two weeks, checked carefully to see if there were any issues with my major software packages, and after finding none, made the fatal error of upgrading. 

I contacted support and was pointed to this forum.  The initial response was that this was an Apple issue, to do with the Metal Accelerator (MA) compiler.  The MA had issues, turning this off this slowed the app down considerably, and led to some strange behaviours.  I contacted Apple, who denied this was the case, and advised me to go back to the developer.

I did so and was told that this would be fixed "soon" with the 1.7 update.  All well and good for the speed issue and I was prepared to await the update.  Some of the strange behaviours continue to this day, but are intermittent, and usually sorted with a hard restart, which is a pain, but I could/can live with it.

Next came the Batch Job issue.  Here the issues was brought to the attention of the Developers, and I was told once again that this was not an Affinity issue but an Apple one.  That Parallel processing needed to be disabled.  The problem here is that if I forget to uncheck the Parallel Processing box at the final stage, the app just gets stuck in a loop, and no output is produced.  The only way to then halt this process is to Force Quit the app, restart, choose all of the output options again, remember to uncheck, and the output is slow, but works.

Given that a significant proportion of my earnings comes from my ability to process photographs quickly, it has been a frustrating and difficult journey.  I should have been clearer in my comment about the future with Affinity Photo.  I have used the Beta version, and am impressed,  this being a Beta version, however, it is not suitable for work.

I have not said that I have given up on APh, rather that I would stop recommending it to others.  How could I justify doing that given the issues that I have experienced?  What if I did so and they then had similar issues?  I believe that Serif have done a really good job with this software, but have had a very poor experience with support given the issues that I have outlined.  When it is finally fixed, I am sure that I will use it as part of my workflow, but can no longer rely on the product.  As I said in my earlier post, I understand that a minority of users have experienced this issue, but to have this attitude to users is, in my opinion, unacceptable.

The coder I spoke to is an old friend, who works exclusively on software for Apple, and so I respected his input.  He is used to issuing patches for software and was surprised by the issues and the time taken to address these.  Whether it is relevant is a matter of opinion.  I note that you said "it was apparent rather early on that you were headed in this direction", and that is absolutely not the case.  I needed software that works, and found that my options were limited due to the software not working and looked again at Photoshop.  I am still not happy with the subscription model, but could not work with Affinity Photo. I wanted Affinity Photo TO WORK!

I have tried several other packages, and was quite impressed with Luminar as indicated.

Considering that you said you "wouldn't spend the sort of time that you (I) do criticizing software you don't intend to use", it was interesting to note your comments about Luminar, you perhaps have a different idea to me about what being critical about software packages means.

Up to the point where the app broke down for me, I was an advocate of this very comprehensive Photoshop replacement.  I understand that you have not experienced any issues and are still an advocate, and I respect that.  I do wonder if you had been in the position where the software was pretty much out of commission for almost 3 months, you would be quite so supportive. I truly hope that you never have such an experience

Not at all a problem, @Earlio. I've kept up with the thread top to bottom.

I have a background in software development and maintenance, as well as in quality control. So I'm very familiar with what it means to take a critical view of software and hardware applications. We each have our reasons for reaching the conclusions we do, and we each have found solutions that work for us based upon our localized experiences. I completely respect your need to move on. It's business and not personal, which is where we each agree. 

Affinity Photo for our studio helps pay bills. I can't wait to see what v1.7 brings. 

Hi Ulysses,

Nice of you to get back in touch.

Yes, the current version of 1.7 does solve the issues, and is now close to release, based on what I read in the release notes.  There are fewer fixes, and it would seem most of the major issues have been patched or rewritten.

I have used it quite a bit, but also had quite a few problems with the Beta version.  This meant I could not rely on it for work, so have been using a combination of Photoshop and Luminar. This has disrupted my workflow, but have got into a groove now, and am getting work done.  I am quite impressed with the AI filters in Luminar, especially since the latest update.  Selections have improved dramatically with PS, but of course the subscription model works out fairly expensive compared to the pay once pricing model.  However, the upside of the subscription model is that updates are very regular, and swift - although there has been no major OS Upgrade in the meantime.

I have become resigned to the situation.  I have learned my lesson, and will wait at least 3 month before upgrading my OS, despite my concerns on security, and the fact that in this case those who would have suffered from this issue still could not update after 8 months.  

I will go back to APh, regrettably, I feel I cannot rely on it as my primary application, and I guess that the cost of PS is a cross I'll have to bear.

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I first reported this bug 9 months ago.  I was told by Affinity that this was a specific issue with 2017 MBP, the Mojave update, and the Metal Accelerator.

Tried a number of fixes, and was eventually advised by Affinity to turn off Metal in Preferences, not to use Parallel Processing, and that the bug would be addressed "shortly" in the upcoming 1.7 release.

I have avoided using Photo since, there were other issues with Metal.

Today I downloaded the 1.7 update to find the same issue.  What the hell is going on?  Why was this issue not addressed?

I am totally fed up with the standard of response, and having to wait this long, finding that you ave not addressed this bug.  You were aware as others have reported the same issue!  I feel that this is either that Affinity are not interested in the small number of users who own 2017 MBPs with Mojave, and just do not care.

UPDATE

After discussing this issue with a developer friend of mine, I have solved the issue as follows:

Deleted current version 1.7 from my MBP

Performed Restart

Downloaded Onyx and ran, ensuring that ALL caches were deleted

Downloaded app again

Reloaded Settings for Macros, Brushes, Styles etc.

All now working.

Edited by Earlio
Issue Solved

21 hours ago, Earlio said:

Hi,

I first reported this bug 9 months ago.  I was told by Affinity that this was a specific issue with 2017 MBP, the Mojave update, and the Metal Accelerator.

Tried a number of fixes, and was eventually advised by Affinity to turn off Metal in Preferences, not to use Parallel Processing, and that the bug would be addressed "shortly" in the upcoming 1.7 release.

I have avoided using Photo since, there were other issues with Metal.

Today I downloaded the 1.7 update to find the same issue.  What the hell is going on?  Why was this issue not addressed?

I am totally fed up with the standard of response, and having to wait this long, finding that you ave not addressed this bug.  You were aware as others have reported the same issue!  I feel that this is either that Affinity are not interested in the small number of users who own 2017 MBPs with Mojave, and just do not care.

UPDATE

After discussing this issue with a developer friend of mine, I have solved the issue as follows:

Deleted current version 1.7 from my MBP

Performed Restart

Downloaded Onyx and ran, ensuring that ALL caches were deleted

Downloaded app again

Reloaded Settings for Macros, Brushes, Styles etc.

All now working.

Hi,

I'm with this bug now...

It's ridiculous and i don't understand how a company don't fix it...

My update happened yesterday to Affinity Photo 1.7.0.

My system is Mojave 10.14.5.

Help me...what is Onyx?

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you have a similar issue.

Onyx is a system maintenance tool from Titanium Software: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

I use this about every 6 months to clean my system and clear a number of caches on the Mac.

It will check the integrity of your drives, clean caches (you can choose - I usually clean all except automatically saved versions of documents which is where your "open recent documents" are stored).  Caches: Internet, Apps, System, Log Messages and Reports.

Also will rebuild your spotlight index and dyld shared cache, Launch Services, reindex your mailbox and more.

Often takes a long time to run, especially the first time, and I remember being concerned after watching the pinwheel going round for more than 20 minutes, but once finished usually gives a small speed boost.

Make sure you follow the steps indicated in the previous post, as I did, otherwise it may not work.  Onyx will restart your MBP (more than once at times).

Make sure you save your Macros, Styles etc., I also took a screenshot to ensure I put my back tools in the places I moved them to, and am familiar with.

Hope this helps with your problems with Affinity Photo.

11 hours ago, Earlio said:

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you have a similar issue.

Onyx is a system maintenance tool from Titanium Software: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

I use this about every 6 months to clean my system and clear a number of caches on the Mac.

It will check the integrity of your drives, clean caches (you can choose - I usually clean all except automatically saved versions of documents which is where your "open recent documents" are stored).  Caches: Internet, Apps, System, Log Messages and Reports.

Also will rebuild your spotlight index and dyld shared cache, Launch Services, reindex your mailbox and more.

Often takes a long time to run, especially the first time, and I remember being concerned after watching the pinwheel going round for more than 20 minutes, but once finished usually gives a small speed boost.

Make sure you follow the steps indicated in the previous post, as I did, otherwise it may not work.  Onyx will restart your MBP (more than once at times).

Make sure you save your Macros, Styles etc., I also took a screenshot to ensure I put my back tools in the places I moved them to, and am familiar with.

Hope this helps with your problems with Affinity Photo.

I got it..

i'm glad for your words trying to help me! 

Thanks for your time and i'll try to do this things that you wrote!