Earlio

Mojave Metal Accelerator not Working for Affinity

1 minute ago, Earlio said:

Thanks for the comment, if bringing a bug to the attention of Affinity when I have to deliver to a client makes me a whiner, then a whiner I shall be.

I am sorry that you are experiencing the same issue, try selecting the software option (if available on Windows) - this seemed to solve the issue for me, as per the previous post.

Yeah, I understand the frustration if software fails, but, we all have some kind of response for our actions when upgrading our software, both OS and apps...

Affinity Photo for Windows is superfast on my Surface Pro 4! Wish we could have an Surface Pro machine in the futures running MacOS!

Or, an iMac Touch...?

2 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Yeah, I understand the frustration if software fails, but, we all have some kind of response for our actions when upgrading our software, both OS and apps...

Affinity Photo for Windows is superfast on my Surface Pro 4! Wish we could have an Surface Pro machine in the futures running MacOS!

Or, an iMac Touch...?

Yep, my response was to bring this to the attention of Affinity on this forum.

3 minutes ago, Earlio said:

Mojave issued 24th September.  Upgraded 10th October after checking forums etc. for Mojave issues.  How long would you suggest waiting before upgrading - 4 weeks?  3 months?

In the music making community of Mac many Pros wait up to one year before they dare to upgrade both music software like Logic Pro X och similar and OS upgrades...

The best thing to do when having Macs is to have parallel system (another Mac OS on an SD-card or external SSD-drive) for installing new software upgrades and OS upgrades)!

1 minute ago, Earlio said:

Yep, my response was to bring this to the attention of Affinity on this forum.

As a matter of interest, did you try selecting the Software option in Prefs, did this solve the issue for you?

Earlio, one simple thing to try with batch convert is to rule out any permissions problems that may be new to Mojave. If you could go to preferences->Photoshop Plugins and click the Authorise Global and pick the drive you have you files on then that would be a good test. Giving permission for Plugins also gives Affinity general access for opening files for other operations.

Just now, Earlio said:

As a matter of interest, did you try selecting the Software option in Prefs, did this solve the issue for you?

NO! Could'nt batch it however this acceleration was selected (Metal, OpenGL or Software)...

But, when selecting a few pictures files it works (like five or six of them), but when have a lot of files (33 in my case) it never reach the end!!? 

14 minutes ago, TonyB said:

Earlio, one simple thing to try with batch convert is to rule out any permissions problems that may be new to Mojave. If you could go to preferences->Photoshop Plugins and click the Authorise Global and pick the drive you have you files on then that would be a good test. Giving permission for Plugins also gives Affinity general access for opening files for other operations.

Hi Tony,

As previously advised, I removed Affinity and reinstalled.  There is nothing in the plug-ins preferences as this was a clean install, and I have avoided changing the new installation (except my Macro Library) until the issue is fixed, and I can be sure that AP is working properly.

28 minutes ago, TonyB said:

We found about about the Metal bug when they released iOS 12 as it has the same bug. We did issue a patch for that as there isn't a workaround as you can't switch Metal off. We were hoping Apple would fix the issue before Mojave shipped just like they do with many other bugs/issues that get introduced in a new OS. As we had a simple workaround for Mojave we thought that would work around the bug and also release 1.7 with many other fixes as soon as we can.

It takes so much time for us to release an update and didn't want to push 1.7 even further away because of it. A beta of 1.7 is only few weeks away so you could enable Metal when that comes out.

I'm sorry about your batch problem but I haven't received any information from our QA department about it yet but hopefully we can find a solution when we get more information.

Apple say it's not them, you say it's not you...

2 minutes ago, Earlio said:

To be fair to Apple they are usually better than Microsoft as they break our Apps regularly. Fixing up applications after OS updates with workarounds is something we all in the industry except and companies that charge for updates also make a lot of money from it. We don't charge for updates or support and I hope we don't need to.

On the Windows store we get 1 star reviews for the store not working correctly and that is completely out of our control and causes us great pain.

As for your ongoing batch problems then please try adding the Global permission as I still can't reproduce the problem here.

2 hours ago, TonyB said:

To be fair to Apple they are usually better than Microsoft as they break our Apps regularly. Fixing up applications after OS updates with workarounds is something we all in the industry except and companies that charge for updates also make a lot of money from it. We don't charge for updates or support and I hope we don't need to.

On the Windows store we get 1 star reviews for the store not working correctly and that is completely out of our control and causes us great pain.

As for your ongoing batch problems then please try adding the Global permission as I still can't reproduce the problem here.

Hi Tony,

Have tested again, and if the number of images for batch conversion is low, then it seems to work, I tried this on 5 (converted) and 10 (no conversion) images.  So it would appear that small numbers of images are OK, but over 5 seem to be an issue.  Did you try with a large batch?

Thanks to ErrkaPetti for informing of the small batches working - still pretty unsatisfactory, though.

I have 2 screen vids showing AP - you'll see the time allowed for the task to complete in the second screen recording.

Also a bit of a pain doing the testing as have to Force Quit the App every time it does not complete the Batch Job.

4 hours ago, Earlio said:

Hi Tony,

Have tested again, and if the number of images for batch conversion is low, then it seems to work, I tried this on 5 (converted) and 10 (no conversion) images.  So it would appear that small numbers of images are OK, but over 5 seem to be an issue.  Did you try with a large batch?

Thanks to ErrkaPetti for informing of the small batches working - still pretty unsatisfactory, though.

I have 2 screen vids showing AP - you'll see the time allowed for the task to complete in the second screen recording.

Also a bit of a pain doing the testing as have to Force Quit the App every time it does not complete the Batch Job.

What’s regarding force quit on Batch Process, there should be some kind of cancellation on that popup window!

And, as you said, more that five pics on the batch will hang Affinity Photo in Mac version...

9 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

And, as you said, more that five pics on the batch will hang Affinity Photo in Mac version...

Try it with Parallel Processing switched off in the batch processing screen, it has cured similar problems in the past

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

2 minutes ago, TonyB said:

Earlio, did you try switching off "Parallel Processing" in  the batch panel? 

Thanks for the reply. No, I am currently not using Affinity Photo.

12 hours ago, TonyB said:

We have confirmed that switching off "Parallel Processing" will workaround your batch issues on Mojave.

We should hopefully have a beta of 1.7 available soon. 

Yeah!

Removing the parallel switch made batch job functionality to be OK!

Took another bunch of Tifs (30 pictures of total 1GB) and it converted this bunch smooth and fast to Jpg...

Thanks for that tip!

On 10/13/2018 at 1:17 PM, Earlio said:

Not that it helps you and it's a bit incidental for this discussion, but in my past experience Apple always denied responsibility for any problems with third-party apps.

I had several cases where third-party apps from the MAS stopped working or had severe issues after an OS update, and in all cases had similar discussions as you had with both the app developers and Apple support. The app developers pointed at Apple, Apple pointed at the developers.

And you know what? In all but one of these cases, it turned out indeed to be Apple's fault, as the issues were fixed in the next OS update without the third-party developers ever updating their app.

1 minute ago, Janichsan said:

Not that it helps you and it's a bit incidental for this discussion, but in my past experience Apple always denied responsibility for any problems with third-party apps.

I had several cases where third-party apps from the MAS stopped working or had severe issues after an OS update, and in all cases had similar discussions as you had with both the app developers and Apple support. The app developers pointed at Apple, Apple pointed at the developers.

And you know what? In all but one of these cases, it turned out indeed to be Apple's fault, as the issues were fixed in the next OS update without the third-party developers ever updating their app.

Hi Janichsan,

Thanks for the input.  Not trying to apportion blame but get the issue fixed.  My point was that each of the parties involved blame the other, an no-one takes responsibility for the fix, which is hugely frustrating.  Just getting to this point has cost me at least 10 hours - and I have decided not to use Affinity Photo until a fix is completed.  I have tried several other solutions including the Luminar/Aurora bundle and it seems quite an easy transition - however given the time wasted on this issue, I do not have time to relearn so I have also signed back up to Adobe CC - regrettably...

Just now, Earlio said:

Hi Janichsan,

Thanks for the input.  Not trying to apportion blame but get the issue fixed.  My point was that each of the parties involved blame the other, an no-one takes responsibility for the fix, which is hugely frustrating.  Just getting to this point has cost me at least 10 hours - and I have decided not to use Affinity Photo until a fix is completed.  I have tried several other solutions including the Luminar/Aurora bundle and it seems quite an easy transition - however given the time wasted on this issue, I do not have time to relearn so I have also signed back up to Adobe CC - regrettably...

I will say that some of the improvements to Photoshop are quite an eye opener.

On 10/13/2018 at 6:48 AM, Earlio said:

Mojave issued 24th September.  Upgraded 10th October after checking forums etc. for Mojave issues.  How long would you suggest waiting before upgrading - 4 weeks?  3 months?

Not meaning to place blame or rub salt in the wound, but I stay at least an OS version behind. Always. And without fail. If I trip up or get forced into an upgrade I usually regret it. There is too much software and hardware on my machine to test it all. Apple, in particular, seems to take joy in breaking perfectly usable stuff. They're psychotic like that. I let others test it for me. I wouldn't touch Mojave with a ten-foot pole at this point. I might skip it altogether. There have been diminishing returns on OS upgrades for at least the last ten years. Why do you think they're giving it away and damn near shoving it down your throat these days? I'm hesitant about software upgrades as well but can easily carry on with the older version if need be. Not sure about the Apple Store though. Since they don't actually let me "handle" the software, I don't know if my old version goes poof when I upgrade.

On 10/6/2018 at 1:33 PM, Earlio said:

Now cannot batch jobs, I tried to convert a number of photos from .affinityphoto to .jpg, running slow, but taking up 455% of CPU, over an hour and not one pic converted.

I have had nothing but good things to say about Affinity Products, but this is disastrous for me - how can I work when I cannot convert photos to .jpg?  Cannot distribute!!!

In addition, have had Permissions issues, with (I guess) AP changing permissions and then not being able to access any of the files until changing the permissions back for each folder!

I am so frustrated and absolutely furious, all of the work I have done to try to get AP working after upgrade, and now cannot deliver the photos today as promised to the client.

Back to Photoshop?  That may be my only option now. Disappointed does not even begin to cover it.

Have you thought of reverting to High Sierra until the issue(s) is/are fixed; that way it would be business as usual, perhaps?

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD

Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K Touch Screen

___

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit.

Nvidia GEFORCE GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080

2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

------

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) : 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon : 16 GB 800 MHz DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB : Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

On 10/16/2018 at 7:39 PM, dcrosby said:

Not meaning to place blame or rub salt in the wound, but I stay at least an OS version behind. Always. And without fail. If I trip up or get forced into an upgrade I usually regret it. There is too much software and hardware on my machine to test it all. Apple, in particular, seems to take joy in breaking perfectly usable stuff. They're psychotic like that. I let others test it for me. I wouldn't touch Mojave with a ten-foot pole at this point. I might skip it altogether. There have been diminishing returns on OS upgrades for at least the last ten years. Why do you think they're giving it away and damn near shoving it down your throat these days? I'm hesitant about software upgrades as well but can easily carry on with the older version if need be. Not sure about the Apple Store though. Since they don't actually let me "handle" the software, I don't know if my old version goes poof when I upgrade.

I think it is overwritten, but if you took a time-machine backup before upgrading you can - usually - revert to the old one fairly quickly.

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD

Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K Touch Screen

___

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit.

Nvidia GEFORCE GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080

2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

------

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) : 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon : 16 GB 800 MHz DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB : Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

I am having issues like many other people. Affinity is so slow now after the upgrade. This is the only application I am having issues with.

Every day I log in, I check to see if there is an update. But alas, nothing.

Please get this fixed ASAP. I am finding Affinity Photo to be almost useless in this state.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice on when to upgrade.  My habit has always been to wait at least a couple of weeks, and then do a search to see which, if any of my critical apps, are adversely affected.

Did this as usual, and no contraindications that I could find, so went ahead and upgraded - to my cost.

In the meantime, going back to Adobe has been an eye opener, there are many new, and very useful tools, and the AI is very good - being familiar with Photoshop, most of the skills and tricks came back pretty quickly.  I have also tried Luminar on a free trial, and it is OK, but pricey (have to pay separately for HDR, although I still own Photomatix) - again the AI is an interesting development.

I have to say as brilliant as I have found Affinity Photo, this issue has also opened my eyes to alternatives that I had not looked at for some time.

So, I guess that, even though the guys at Serif have taken WAY TOO LONG to fix this issue, every cloud (excuse the pun) has a silver lining...