Earlio

Mojave Metal Accelerator not Working for Affinity

I have come across this issue after upgrading to Mojave.

Slow loading, very slow tools (inpainting tool almost unusable).  I checked and seemed that MTLcompilerservice was taking up 90/99% of CPU.  Tried a restart, then restarted my 15" MBP 2017 with Touch Bar - same issue.  I then went into preferences and unchecked Enable Metal compute accelerator, and the issue has improved, but tools not as swift as on High Sierra.

Is this an Affinity issue, or Apple issue, please, and how do I solve so that I can get back the previous speed?

Try deleting Affinity using AppCleaner, and then reload it from the App Store.  I was a bit freaked out when Mojave was installed and Affinity ground to a halt.  I tried the delete and re-install and it is back to its wonderful functionality, speedy and slick!  

Hi @Earlio,

We have had a few reports of slow tools with the recent Mojave update. The CTRL run-up with clear all the previous settings and has solved the issues. 

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Thanks,
Gabe. 

Thanks Gabe, I'll give that a try tomorrow, as I am at work today.  In the meantime, I have been working with Apple on getting it solved, reset SMC, PRAM, Booted in Safe Mode, Re-installed Mojave - all to no avail.  I hope that resetting the app settings will do the trick, I'll be back to confirm if issue is solved.

HI Gabe,

Tried your solution, same outcome.  No solution from Apple either.

Doc Steve, after Gabe's solution failed, I tried yours and removed Affinity Photo - downloaded again from App Store.  Same result - have now recorded the issue and attached.

Getting very frustrated, had to put in a lot of work saving  brushes swatches, styles, , macros etc., for what I assumed would be a simple, straightforward update to Photo.  Not happy with all the additional work that I have had to do so far, and still no solution.  In addition all of my tools have reset, studio reset, so will be a lot off work to get Affinity back to the state it was prior to the update.  

You guys should try to sort a single action to save to all of these options, my setup get more complicated over time, and I do not want to have to go through all this every time Apple issues an updated OS.

Seems to be exactly what was already reported here

but with the new information on the hardware acceleration.

I tried to deactivate the hardware acceleration and now AP is responsive again and i can work even it is a bit slower then without. Clearly this is just a workaround but at least there is one ;). So this seems to be the correct point to look into. Also i think this is the reson why reseting the settings worked because this is not the standard.

Hi RobaPhotography,

Yes, it seems to be the same issue.

The issue is with the Metal Accelerator, and turning this off in Preferences (Performance -> Enable Metal compute acceleration) and using OpenGL seems to return the app to some normality, but still having issues with batch processing among others.

Latest Chat with Apple seems to be concluding that this is an Affinity bug, and they are expecting a fix from them.  I do not know if this is correct, but either way it is a PITA.

Thanks for your link.

Earl

Now cannot batch jobs, I tried to convert a number of photos from .affinityphoto to .jpg, running slow, but taking up 455% of CPU, over an hour and not one pic converted.

I have had nothing but good things to say about Affinity Products, but this is disastrous for me - how can I work when I cannot convert photos to .jpg?  Cannot distribute!!!

In addition, have had Permissions issues, with (I guess) AP changing permissions and then not being able to access any of the files until changing the permissions back for each folder!

I am so frustrated and absolutely furious, all of the work I have done to try to get AP working after upgrade, and now cannot deliver the photos today as promised to the client.

Back to Photoshop?  That may be my only option now. Disappointed does not even begin to cover it.

17 hours ago, Earlio said:

Hi RobaPhotography,

Yes, it seems to be the same issue.

The issue is with the Metal Accelerator, and turning this off in Preferences (Performance -> Enable Metal compute acceleration) and using OpenGL seems to return the app to some normality, but still having issues with batch processing among others.

Well, if it helps: you don't really have to fully switch to OpenGL. Just disabling Metal compute acceleration already did the trick for me.

Response from Apple:

Since the issue is occurring even after all steps was completed, then it is going to be best to reach out to the App Developer for further support. We have done all the available troubleshooting steps at this time, it appears to be on their end.

Any news on this - Affinity Photo is currently unusable.  More than 5 minutes to render and inpaint after straighten - then crash!  Add that to the fact that the 

Forgot to say, had to buy a copy of Affinity for a friend with an older iMac, so that I could batch process the pics and deliver to the client.  Have real costs and real world issues here.

Hi all, 

I have just heard back from our developers. They believe the issue is going to be fixed by the 1.7 update. Not sure when this is going to be released though. We will keep you updated. Until then, their advice was to turn off Metal. 

Gabe. 

This is due to a bug in the Apple LLVM GPU compiler shipped with Mojave. There is a code workaround so it's very unlikely they will fix it. 

Hi Gabe,

So the app is not working, and there is no indication as to when it will be back up and running?

Turning off Metal does not solve the Batch Processing issue, is in effect I have to export every photo manually?

I have spoken again with Apple, and they have no information on this update, in addition to which they have no internal indication of any such update to the Metal component, I do not know who to believe.

Highly unsatisfactory!

OK, no further info.

I have left a 1 star review on the Apple Store, and I am looking to move back to Photoshop as soon as I get Batch Processing sorted.

Have been using this excellent app as a replacement for Adobe Photoshop CC.  Until now have been absolutely delighted with the app itself, the tutorials (which are excellent) and the ease of use.
Since the update to Mojave, the app has been unuseable for me.  There is an issue with Affinity & the Metal Accelerator, and the advice is to turn off Metal, which initially was OK, however the app slows considerably.  The huge issue for me is that the Batch Output has now stopped working, and therefore the only way to Export to JPG is individually.   This has rendered the app unuseable.  I have spoken to Apple and used the Affinity Forum, where the attitude seems to be, we have a problem, and we'll fix it at some point in the dfuture with an upgrade - no indication of a time frame.  I have had to buy a copy of Affinity for a friend with an older Mac who has not upgraded, share the native .affinityphoto files with him, he batch processes and shares the final results back to me.  Not a great way to be delivering photos to clients.  

Given how long Mojave was in Beta testing, this issue should have been identified and fixed before release.

Utterly disgusted by the lack of a sensible or empathetic (pathetic rther than empathetic) response from Serif, if they are looking to stay in this market, they need to be better than this.

Seriously consdering returning to Photoshop, but that now means batch processing all of my .affinityphoto files to TIF, in order to import them into PS -  but I cannot Batch Process!!!  Left with no alternative but to await the update to 1.7.

Hi Tony B,

I put your comment to Apple.  According to them, there is no bug in the Apple LLVM GPU compiler shipped with Mojave, and this is an issue with the Affinity app.  

I have been told by Apple that this issue is not affecting users of other apps using the Metal Compute Accelerator.

22 minutes ago, Earlio said:

Hi Tony B,

I put your comment to Apple.  According to them, there is no bug in the Apple LLVM GPU compiler shipped with Mojave, and this is an issue with the Affinity app.  

I have been told by Apple that this issue is not affecting users of other apps using the Metal Compute Accelerator.

The same valid Metal kernel compiled fine before Mojave but doesn't with Mojave. We can work around the bug by rewriting the Metal kernel but that won't ship until Affinity 1.7. You can workaround the problem by switching Metal Compute off. 

Assuming you have switched Metal compute off and restated the App then any issues you are having with batch will not be related. Can anyone else replicate your batch issues?

My discussion with Apple was quite detailed, and they looked across the system to see if there were any issues with other Devs on the Metal Accelerator - there were none.  A quick search shows no other issues with apps other than Affinity Photo.

I arranged a callback after receiving your response and the Apple rep was very clear that this is not an Apple issue, but an Affinity issue.  This should have been identified during the beta testing, but was not.  The fact that the app worked previously on High Sierra is NEVER an indication that the same compiler will work on new OS releases, and it is the responsibility of the app dev to ensure compatibility.  Are Apple lying me?

I am not sure that I want to continue to trying to mediate between Affinity & Apple on this issue, I just need a fix.

With regard to the batch output.  

It would seem there is a further, from your comment - unrelated bug to sort which is even more frustrating.  One cannot change change from Metal without a restart.

After trying again, I have found that I can batch process if I choose software instead of OpenGL, the call to Metal is no longer made, and I can output.  I do not know what in OpenGL is causing the call to Metal, but will show the issue on a screen recording shortly.

16 minutes ago, TonyB said:

The same valid Metal kernel compiled fine before Mojave but doesn't with Mojave. We can work around the bug by rewriting the Metal kernel but that won't ship until Affinity 1.7. You can workaround the problem by switching Metal Compute off. 

Assuming you have switched Metal compute off and restated the App then any issues you are having with batch will not be related. Can anyone else replicate your batch issues?

Although I think @Earlio is a typical whiner here, he's right about the batch job that does'nt work on Mac running Mojave OS...

I took 33 scanned pictures (around 30MB TIFF) and convert them to 100% JPG and it never stops... After 30 minutes I gave up...

I tried disabled both Metal and OpenGL to only run software acceleration and this does'nt help... Running i7 4.0Ghz iMac with 32GB RAM/512GB-SSD...

Took the same 33 pictures on my MS Surface Pro 4 with i5/8GB RAM in Windows 10 (okt 2018 release) and it took around 30 seconds to run this Batch Job in Affinity Photo for Windows!

Something is wrong in the batch feature...

47 minutes ago, Earlio said:

OK, no further info.

I have left a 1 star review on the Apple Store, and I am looking to move back to Photoshop as soon as I get Batch Processing sorted.

Have been using this excellent app as a replacement for Adobe Photoshop CC.  Until now have been absolutely delighted with the app itself, the tutorials (which are excellent) and the ease of use.
Since the update to Mojave, the app has been unuseable for me.  There is an issue with Affinity & the Metal Accelerator, and the advice is to turn off Metal, which initially was OK, however the app slows considerably.  The huge issue for me is that the Batch Output has now stopped working, and therefore the only way to Export to JPG is individually.   This has rendered the app unuseable.  I have spoken to Apple and used the Affinity Forum, where the attitude seems to be, we have a problem, and we'll fix it at some point in the dfuture with an upgrade - no indication of a time frame.  I have had to buy a copy of Affinity for a friend with an older Mac who has not upgraded, share the native .affinityphoto files with him, he batch processes and shares the final results back to me.  Not a great way to be delivering photos to clients.  

Given how long Mojave was in Beta testing, this issue should have been identified and fixed before release.

Utterly disgusted by the lack of a sensible or empathetic (pathetic rther than empathetic) response from Serif, if they are looking to stay in this market, they need to be better than this.

Seriously consdering returning to Photoshop, but that now means batch processing all of my .affinityphoto files to TIF, in order to import them into PS -  but I cannot Batch Process!!!  Left with no alternative but to await the update to 1.7.

WHY do you install Movaje if you're an professional user of photo editing and have customers depending on your job?

As a Pro, never be an early adopter of software... If your system and program is 100% OK, hesitate before upgrading to new versions in both software and OS-upgrades...

Thanks for the comment, if bringing a bug to the attention of Affinity when I have to deliver to a client makes me a whiner, then a whiner I shall be.

I am sorry that you are experiencing the same issue, try selecting the software option (if available on Windows) - this seemed to solve the issue for me, as per the previous post.

We found about about the Metal bug when they released iOS 12 as it has the same bug. We did issue a patch for that as there isn't a workaround as you can't switch Metal off. We were hoping Apple would fix the issue before Mojave shipped just like they do with many other bugs/issues that get introduced in a new OS. As we had a simple workaround for Mojave we thought that would work around the bug and also release 1.7 with many other fixes as soon as we can.

It takes so much time for us to release an update and didn't want to push 1.7 even further away because of it. A beta of 1.7 is only few weeks away so you could enable Metal when that comes out.

I'm sorry about your batch problem but I haven't received any information from our QA department about it yet but hopefully we can find a solution when we get more information.

2 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

WHY do you install Movaje if you're an professional user of photo editing and have customers depending on your job?

As a Pro, never be an early adopter of software... If your system and program is 100% OK, hesitate before upgrading to new versions in both software and OS-upgrades...

Mojave issued 24th September.  Upgraded 10th October after checking forums etc. for Mojave issues.  How long would you suggest waiting before upgrading - 4 weeks?  3 months?