You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ruler origin editing

• Staff

I have moved this to the feature requests section, as the current behaviour is by design.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Why would you want to have this? :/

I have no idea about why the OP desires this...but for myself?

Because if I have an element on a right-hand page, I want to know its X/Y values in relation to the page it is on. As it is now, APub treats a facing page as always from the top left of the left-hand page. This shouldn't be...and indeed is unlike any other software I use. So for me the procedure to determine where an element is on a right-hand page is to first drag the ruler origin to the right-hand top-left corner to see those values.

Else I need to add/subtract the values reported in the Transform panel to arrive at where such an element is located. This is a dumb idea (ruler origins only at the top left of a page for a facing page document. Like every other layout software that exists, the rulers should zero at the intersection of a right-hand facing page and increment from there.

If/when APub ever gets any sort of automation, be it JavaScript or something akin to tagged text, the present system is going to be a right pita.

Maybe I got the OP’s intention wrong, but I was under the impression that he or she wants to have two independent origin points on a spread, one for each page. I didn’t have the impression he or she was talking about the default position of the origin point. :/

I would wholeheartedly agree that the default spread origin should be at the top left of the right page on a spread.

2 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Maybe I got the OP’s intention wrong, but I was under the impression that he or she wants to have two independent origin points on a spread, one for each page. I didn’t have the impression he or she was talking about the default position of the origin point. :/

I would wholeheartedly agree that the default spread origin should be at the top left of the right page on a spread.

Yep...I think so about the OP's intention as well. But perhaps unclear as to how it would work and be valuable.

I also think the net effect would be the same. If there was a new zero point at the spread intersection, there would be the possibility of two (or more) ruler origin points.

However, if Serif makes each page have a ruler origin point, and if Serif made the customary ruler intersection be the dragging point instead of what I see as a hack for changing the ruler origin, half of this is moot.

But isn’t the page logic different, when you have facing pages, at least in book typography? Wouldn’t you want to measure from the binding edge? For creating books, I would be content if the ruler origin would default to the top of the binding edge, but I understand that one could make good use of two ruler origins in other use cases. Maybe a document-related preference would make sense.

5 hours ago, A_B_C said:

But isn’t the page logic different, when you have facing pages, at least in book typography? Wouldn’t you want to measure from the binding edge? For creating books, I would be content if the ruler origin would default to the top of the binding edge, but I understand that one could make good use of two ruler origins in other use cases. Maybe a document-related preference would make sense.

In book automation, coordinates are top-left of the page whether facing pages or not--and that includes whenever we get the ability to stack more than two-pages side by side.

Every single other layout application (and even design software) has the zero-point at the top left (sometimes bottom-left depending upon how one orients the rulers). There is zero good reason to have rulers the way they are in APub, and there is a whole bunch of reasons why this method is a bad idea.

I've never seen the zero point being in the middle of a spread. What would happen once we can stack pages beside each other for say a book cover using three or more pages? Where would the zero point be?

This simply needs fixed properly.

I fear this thread got me confused from the beginning. You and MAUSSIMI are completely right. What I meant with defaulting the ruler origin to the middle of the spread is this: I think there is a certain advantage to move the ruler origin to the binding edge, when you start your design with creating some sort of design grid or guides system for your spreads.