You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Help file states:

• Aligned—when selected (default), the origin of the sample remains a fixed distance from the pointer. If this option is off, the origin of the sample always returns to the sample location defined initially.

Yet I can not see any difference in behaviour. When I release the mouse button having done some cloning the source pointer always returns to the starting position whether Aligned is ticked or not.

• Staff

Hi juliang,

This is working as expected for me, we might be able to make the explanation a little clearer in the help file.  With Aligned disabled, the difference should be that after painting with the clone brush, the source should go back to the original selected source point whilst with aligned enabled it will remain a relative distance from the clone brush based on the first click after selecting a source point. 

59 minutes ago, stokerg said:

... we might be able to make the explanation a little clearer in the help file.

At least for me, the name "Aligned" implies the opposite of what it does -- at first, I expected each new starting point to always be 'aligned' to the original source point. So maybe renaming it to something more descriptive like "Relative" would make its function slightly clearer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think I now realise what has confused me. It is that in the Aligned selected case the + symbol does not move in the pause between clone clone strokes. While the stroke is being done it does move but returns to the starting position

I now see that in the non Aligned case it does not move with the clone brush.,

Perhaps I have got there at last!

• 3 months later...

I'm still not happy with the cloning tool today. I expect the source's cross to be in the same relative coordinate position even when I release the mouse button. I want to position the source so exactly that my desired result is visible. I can not do that; because the source's cross always jumps to the first selection point. And this is very very annoying. And, I have "zero orientation" in respect of the outer limit of source surface to the outer limit of the target surface. Because the source only indicates a cross without displaying the source area, which is subject to the cloning process.  And then I regularly have this unwanted effect, when cloning, there are always results that do not correspond to the position of the source cross at all. After a short time, it seems as if from a "memory" pixels are additionally cloned that does not exist at the source cross. If the mouse button is temporary unloaded, then this effect disappears.

The cloning brush is one of the most important tools for me. :/

@edit: added: "After a short time, ..."

bisher: Micrografx Picture Publisher 10, Photoshop 6, Affinity Photo 1, Affinity Photo 2

4 hours ago, StefanK said:

I want to position the source so exactly that my desired result is visible.

In Preferences > User Interface if "Show brush previews" is ticked, doesn't that make the result visible on the target before you have to click to apply it there?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If necessary, I want to precisely guide and align along edges or lines the source circle, if that is appropriate. This is not possible with the source cross.

bisher: Micrografx Picture Publisher 10, Photoshop 6, Affinity Photo 1, Affinity Photo 2

And then the strange effect that the clone brush loses its function after own pixels. If the mouse button is released briefly, it works again. Can anybody confirm this? Or maybe the graphics card may play a "negative role"?

@edit: 14. Jan.

I checked that with another computer. This error has its cause in my laptop.  Probably the same thing about the described "ghost clones".