You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple text frames at once

For the layout of a book I created two master pages: one for the title pages and one for the content. In Scribus (that I have used so far) you can create multiple connected text frames at once. Unfortunately I can't find a way to achieve this with Affinity Publisher as well. Did I miss something?

A couple of short answers, Yes you missed something and Yes it doesn't work.

The Master pages Text Frames don't work the way we would expect. The work around is to apply a Master Page (without any 'Linked' text frames) and then on a regular page make a Text Frame and place your text in it and Shift click on the red text overflow triangle on the lower right.

image.png.a1be66d7ed8ed05568fe64e25ca79a38.png

This will make new pages with  Text Frames the same size and shape and location with the overflow text.

Hopefully the Master Page Text Frame problem will be fixed/implemented soon.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

There is an 'eye' icon on the right (in my example it is crossed off) and the triangle pointing to the eye is what you want to click. Clicking the 'eye' will just show/hide the overflow text.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

When you make your new document you can set the margins there, you have to 'include margins' then if you want to you can select spreads and change them after the fact using the Spread Manager.

9 hours ago, Pekoo said:

Short question: How do I change the type area (margins) for the entire document with this type of page creation? Without a connection to the master pages this seems hardly possible to me.

Setup your Master page. Apply it to your document page. Create a text frame on your document page.

When you add too much text to it, you can shift-click on the red link icon (next to the red eye icon) and Publisher will create a new page that inherits from the Master page and which contains a new text frame with the same location and properties as the text frame that overflowed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, I understand that. But what do I do if I want to change the type area afterwards? Do I have to change each page individually? 

Perhaps for explanation: I would like to use the Publisher for the layout of a book. I would therefore like to see the following: Each document is assigned a template that only defines very general things like the page size, standard font, etc. Each document is divided into several (at least one) sections (in my case title and text), which in turn contain the individual pages. Each section is assigned a template (master page), which then defines the type area, numbering, and so on. I can also create individual text frames there (for the title page without text flow - for the text with text flow and numbering). The individual pages inherit the template of the section, but can also change this template (e.g. to prevent numbering for the last page) or replace it with other templates. 
Advantage: Within a section I can easily add pages, which then automatically adopt the templates (including the text frames). In addition, to change the type area, I would only have to change the template of the section.
Would that be a good idea?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

1 hour ago, mac_heibu said:

This is not possible in Designer at the moment.

Nor even in Publisher :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...

I have an answer to this. If you have 500 pages of text, 

1. Go to Document and delete pages 2-500.

2. Adjust the margins on page 1 to your desired size.

3. Go to the little red arrow/ eye on the right and click with shift applied.

4. Your document should now reappear with the required margins.