You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Dialing-in" a color to match surrounding pixels

I posted the problem earlier, but I am still trying to match the color of one area to the pixels in a surrounding area.  In the area that I am attempting to change, the RGB values are: 31, 41, 13.  The surrounding pixels have RGB values of 31, 31, 28.  Depending on where I sample, there are some variations in the RGB values. My goal is to come close to a color match between the two areas.  

Attached is a picture of a pileated woodpecker that I shot under heavy forest canopy, the sun was directly behind me, passing through holes in the canopy.  As the sunlight passed through the intervening leaves, some parts of the image acquired a heavy green color.  Right now my main areas of attention are the bird's shoulder and his tail feathers.  If I can get these "fixed", I believe that the more subtle color shifts should be easy.

Using Capture One, I was able to significantly reduce the green on the feathers, but the resulting shoulder color was still perceptibly different (28, 29, 25) than the surrounding feathers.  Am I being too picky?  It was a very tedious process to get to this Hue.  As far as I can determine C1 does not have a capability to color match within a single image, Normalize will apparently work across several images but not on the same image.

I have been attacking this problem, on and off, for over a year and the closest I have come to success in the C1 sample.  I know I should have use fill-flash, but moving through heavy brush with a Beamer is problematic.

_MG_1595 5.jpg

piliated after vi.jpg

A birds feathers can have a small degree of reflectivity so it would be normal for the feathers to take on a subtle hue of the environment it is in.

IMHO, the green background is way too bright, in fact the whole image is becoming garish, the red plume is glowy and the tree is starting to look like stone, I think you need to tone it down a little.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Big_Stan said:

Thank you for your suggestion regarding toning-down my picture.  

While I appreciate and generally agree with your suggestion, I was hoping to get some guidance on how to perform color matching in Affinity Photo.

First of all, select the area you want to adjust, then drag targets from the Info panel to both areas, the one you want to match and the area you want to adjust. See below for an example of two targets on two areas. Click on the top black/white icon (right hand sampler) to change it to RGB too.

info.jpg.02731723f16463945aa6c89e6416c83a.jpg

If you make a selection before applying an Adjustment layer, it will only affect the selected area. Use a Channel Mixer adjustment layer and just drag the sliders until the colours in the two areas match (more or less). You will see the readout change in the 'adjusting' area as you do.

channel.jpg.42b0e471ea1654a5a163228cfbf2575a.jpg

You can apply more targets if you want.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.