You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help me understand this ? Affinity Photo

Hello Everyone,
i need some help here regarding how to achieve certain stuffs on Affinity Photo.

1- How to ...or ...it is possible to select subject from a uniform background (green, blue, dark etc.) as a quick background removal technic?
     Well i mean only the subject or something that i would define as the subject in the photo, i've seen it on few PS Youtube tuto and was actually thinking if it was possible to do that or even in a better way with APhoto.

2- Is there a way to copy/paste Fx or Adjustments from one layer/object to another ?
     in fact repeating Fx can be time consuming or even painful while copy/pasting the same already done Fx or adjustment is time saving, from there i can just adjust this or that and it's done but have to redo all things.

3- this last question is coming maybe a bit earlier than what Serif have planned or maybe it's not suitable at all but ... who don't take risks can really see the light; well, are we going to see some Ai functions to surface on Affinity Photo (maybe the whole affinity range) ?

Please don't take this comparative at some level but, after i've done my quick personal review of Skylum Luminar 2018 and FxHome iMerge Pro beta; (demo here) i just thought myself: this maybe the direction things should go for APhoto (and the entire Affinity range of products).

Well, from this point, i leave it all to you to jump on youtube or official websites and look at how it works with FxHome iMerge Pro beta and Skylum Luminar 2018 then leave your inputs here for all to read and maybe we can all find a way to better propose to Serif team. i'm not against the old traditional or by hand selection technic but it's easy for all of us to understand that everything that touches the Creative sphere is linked with time (in it's execution side) and most here or out there charge based on time and spending 30min to make subject detouring on a photo is ... a killing way to work (according to me) would be better if it can be done intelligently by the software Ai (plus my personal tweaks before application) and all this in a non-destructive way.

More i will share after few answers pops here.
Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

There "magic-tool" called "select area " or st like this. Set the tolerance of the color-tolerance, unccheck the "neighbor"-box  and click in the background. Moves very well with monochrome or slightly BG.

Just cmd+j of that adjustment/filter and move the duplicate to target layer.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

For #1, if the background is a uniform color, or nearly so, it should be fairly easy to select it with the Flood Select (a.k.a. magic wand) tool, using a low tolerance setting & the Continuous option, followed by Invert Pixel Selection from the Select menu. Where it gets tricky if any of the edge pixels of the (perceived) subject are the same or nearly the same color as the background. For that, the refine selection tools will be needed.

For #2, adjustment layers can be duplicated & nested into other pixel layers. For fx, copy the layer with them to the clipboard, select the layer you want to apply them to, & from the Edit menu, choose Paste FX.

For #3, I am not exactly sure what you mean about using artificial intelligence ... is it maybe for identifying subjects for selections? If so, as I understand it, the current state of that technology requires a massive database & training to work, plus substantial computing power, either locally or via remote access.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7