You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

preview mode shortcut

• Staff

Do you mean that it does not go back to the "previous state" when you turn preview mode off, and is that what you would like?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi Kodacod,
Go to Affinity Publisher Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section, set the first dropdown to Layout and the second to View and check if Preview Mode from the list below has the shortcut correctly set. If it's already there, delete it and type it again (the exact same keys). Close the dialog and check if it works now.

Unfortunately I've already tried to edit the shortcut, use the same keys, make new ones etc. etc. but doesn't work. The system make the error sound (the apple "doh" sound!!), as if I'm doing some mistake. I checked also the system shortcut menu searching for conflicts but didn't find anything.

Do any of the Control- Whatever short cuts work in Affinity or other Apps? I have been messed up with the differences between MacBook Keys and Regular* Keyboard Keys and a brand new OS in the past, I am much more conservative about updating other than security updates.

* (you know, the way the good lord intended them to be built even if they are huge and heavy)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi Kodacod,
Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching Publisher, keep the first three boxes checked and additionally tick Reset Keyboard Shortcuts. If you have customised the shortcuts and want to create a backup copy you can do so from the Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section in Publisher (Save button on top right), then press Clear. This should clear up any glitch in Publisher. Then try to use the Preview command again. Does it work? If not it's probably something else interfering here and we can try a few other things.

Finally found a solution, but you have to know why. I checked the shortcut panel in the preference, there are few with the attention symbol and I removed them. Then I modify the shortcut to "option W" and work perfectly. So, thinking about the ones removed, I changed again to the default values but didn't work. Now I'm testing with "option W" and it seems to work properly.

• Staff

Hi Kodacod,
Do you remember if the Preview shortcut in Affinity Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section had a warning there earlier? If so, the reason was a conflict with another command using the same key(s)/shortcuts. If you fix the conflict it then works correctly. To know/discover which command is conflicting with the one that's not working for you place the cursor over the warning for a few moments - a tooltip will tell you what's the command that is using the same shortcut/keys. Change one of them and the problem should be fixed.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2018 at 6:56 PM, AdamW said:

I think we will be changing the default shortcut for this potentially frequently used command to something easier.

In v.170174 the shortcut for "Preview Mode" is very easy already: "F10".

But on Mac all F-Keys are prefered by the system. "Something easier" on Mac would mean no F-key at all.

Why not just "w", which is known for "Preview Mode" in some designers area and not used by Publisher yet.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Just in case ... here's a list of Apples key usage from Apples developer tool Xcode:

"Reserved and Expected Keyboard Shortcuts

(...) F10 - used by system - Tile or untile all open windows in the currently active application"

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/xcode_help-command_shortcuts/SystemAndOther/SystemAndOther.html

Or, accordingly, this list in Apples "Human Interface Guidelines":

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/user-interaction/keyboard/

Though the user meanwhile is allowed by Apple to deactivate particular system key functions, F10 included, it's imho no need and not a good idea to force the user for such change.
( System Prefererences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Mission Control > F10)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.