You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

smooth lines going jagged edged after sharpenning

After developing into photo persona, all the smooth edges go jagged. When I click on the 'un sharp' mask filter the jagged edges smooth out and altering the sliders doesn't affect the edges at all. When I click 'apply' and the application guide slides across then disappears, the jagged edges are still there. The 'un sharp' mask filter has no effect. This has only happened since the latest update. I have just switched the photo back into develop and the jagged edges smoothed out. Then I put it back into the photo persona without doing anything else to it and the jagged edges appeared again. I have just tried several raw photographs in the Develop Persona. Everything was fine all edges, straight and curved were smooth. When I put them into the Photo Persona, all the edges went jagged. Just by switching them from Develop to Photo, all the smooth edges went to jagged.

Edited by heskphotography
More clarification.

• Staff

Hi heskphotography,

Can you post some screenshots and the original image used.  I've just tried with one of my RAW files and didn't get any jagged edges.  If you could also include the workflow you follow in the reply, i'll see if i can replicate the issue.  

Also have you tried viewing the image at 100% once you've left the Develop persona?  Would be interesting to see if the jagged edges appear at 100%.

Hi stokerg. Thanks for your reply. I have been carrying out some investigation and got some interesting results. First the raw is loaded into Develop Persona. Then I use my presets Basic, Details and some Tones adjustments. Everything is fine Development. There are no problems there.

The file is then sent to the Photo Persona and this is where it starts to get interesting. The photo come on at 19.7%. The broken lines on the jackstays can clearly be seen. If I then zoom in one click it goes to 20.0%. The broken lines can still be seen. If I then do one more click on zoom it goes to 25.0%. At that point the broken lines disappear and the picture is perfect.

Now! If I instead of zooming, crop the picture several times by  cropping the bottom of the photo, i. e. the grass in the image and then undoing the crop, but working up towards 25%. the broken lines disappear after 24.4%. This happens with any raw file. That includes raw files that have previously been developed successfully using Affinity Photo before the latest programme update.

As requested, I have attached the PNG file of the latest developed file in the Photo Persona. Screen shot two is in the Develop Persona and screen shot 1 is in the Photo Persona. The difference can clearly be seen.

I hope you understand all that and thank you.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

The reason you are seing jaggies is that you are viewing at 20%. Photo uses a special algorithm to translate image pixels to screen pixels that is optimized for speed, so it will not show pixel detail perfectly. Oblque lines will interact with the pixel grid execerbating the jaggedness. I would guess the reason the Develop Persona image looks better is that they use a different algorithm, optimized in a different way. If you want to see the image as it really is, you must view at 100%

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Using bicubic for screen display is overkill. Bicubic is better applied if you are enlarging an image and even then Lanczos is probably better.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630