Affni

Could German umlaut in keyboards shortcut triggers wired behavior?

Could it be that Affinity Photo has a bug related to keyboard short cuts when used with the modifier key cmd and German umlauts? For the menu items to rotate the workplace by 15 degrees left, right or reset I defined cmd ö   cmd ä   and cmd ü (i.e. cmd + umlaut-key on German keyboard for o a u). A strange thing happened: In word-processing like MS Word or Apple’s Texteditor keyboard entries turned sluggish. Some would not show on the screen unless I pushed and held the key for some seconds. Then I got one of two effects. Either the letter suddenly showed up and was typed repeatedly or a popup menu showed up with special characters.

When entering in  Terminal.app     defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

or set in sys-preferences keyboard  „repeat of entries“ to „off“  it was fixed for a while but eventually came back.

I finally decided to change the keyboard shortcuts in Photo to the number-keys 1   2   3 together with the modifier key ctrl. No problem anymore.

Is it possible that Photo’s shortcut prefs call routines which work without problems as long as one uses cmd on a non-German keyboard layout without umlauts?

I am using the Affinity Photo 1.6.7 with macOS Sierra on a MacBook Pro Mid 2012

Hi @Affni,

I tried this with a German Keyboard and I could not replicate it. It's unlikely the shortcuts you set in Affinity Photo to interfere with 3rd party apps. Any chance you can send us a screen recording with this in action, please? 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi GabrielM,

the problem pops up in an erratic pattern - but once it is there it shows up more and more frequently. In a way it reminds me of a kind of overflow. Anyway - I keep the option of screen recording in mind - shouldn't be difficult with the quicktime-player

Thanks

Affi