You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Testing Affinity Publisher (Mac) Auto-Update

• Staff
2 minutes ago, MagicDoesMons said:

Just trying to auto update from 1.7.0.145 to try and go up to 1.7.0.157 and the auto-update says i am up to date.

Going to install the update manually.

You can, but a full download of 1.7.0.162 will be available soon (when there is a new pinned post).

We now know what was wrong with the small auto-update from #145 to #157, that failed for so many, sorry.  The next mac update (when ready) from #157 to #162 will be the smaller type and will (should) work, but the update from anything earlier (including #145) will need to be a full download, so our auto-update will reflect that shortly.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

42 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

You can, but a full download of 1.7.0.162 will be available soon (when there is a new pinned post).

We now know what was wrong with the small auto-update from #145 to #157, that failed for so many, sorry.  The next mac update (when ready) from #157 to #162 will be the smaller type and will (should) work, but the update from anything earlier (including #145) will need to be a full download, so our auto-update will reflect that shortly.

Thanks, Patrick.

Out of curiosity, is there a plan to make this auto-update functionality available to those of us using Windows once you have worked out the problems for the Mac community?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

...is there a plan to make this auto-update functionality available to those of us using Windows once you have worked out the problems for the Mac community?

There was, but the Windows implementation of the library we have chosen does not product smaller updates for Windows, so it would be useful for auto-downloading, installing and restarting, but not better for download size AND you would not get to save away the installer as it all happened in the temp folder, so implementation in Windows releases (from the Affinity store) is in the balance at the moment.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I had problems using auto-updater going from 157 to 162. In the end, I had to reboot my Mac completely for it to work.

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo V2, Mac and iPad.

macOS Ventura 13.5.2; Macbook Pro (16-inch, Mid 2021); Apple M1 Pro, 10 cores; Graphics 16 cores; 16GB RAM;

iPad Pro 11 inch first gen

I was able to update from 1.7.0.139 to 1.7.0.140 when auto-update was introduced. But after that, updates were never found through auto-update and I always had to download the full update from the forum link. Maybe I was too eager. Currently on 1.7.0.162 not finding the 1.7.0.167 update from yesterday. Is that in accordance with the testing status of this functionality or is there still a substantial delay between the link publication and the internal update availability?

• Staff
1 hour ago, vonBusing said:

. Currently on 1.7.0.162 not finding the 1.7.0.167 update from yesterday. Is that in accordance with the testing status of this functionality or is there still a substantial delay between the link publication and the internal update availability?

I will check whether we are planning to put 167 on autoupdate because the Windows build cannot be used on Windows 7 we are trying to replace with a new build on both platforms. However that new build is illusive at the moment so perhaps updating MacOS automatically is the right move

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 3 weeks later...

Auto-update did not work for me for the latest 1.7.0.192 build. "Check for updates" said I had the most up-to-date "1.7.0" version (no sub-build number given) but I was running the prior 1.7.0.174 build at the time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Auto-update from v. 174 to v. 192 worked like a charm.  Up and running like a top!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Updated to 192 with Auto-update without issues.

It would be more helpful/logical if the Auto-update message gave the 4 part version number (1.7.0.192) rather than only 3 parts version (1.7.0). Especially during beta programs where the 3 part number is not expected to change although new versions are distributed. Currently, you have to open the About window just to get that last number.

Tried to open APub and got the Update to 192 notification. However, all clicks resulted in an error sound with everything locked. Could not even quit and had to do a Force Quit. Tried multiple times with same results. It had worked for me with a couple previous updates, so not sure what went wrong with this one. 

High Sierra

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.