Patrick Connor

Testing Affinity Publisher (Mac) Auto-Update

2 minutes ago, MagicDoesMons said:

Just trying to auto update from 1.7.0.145 to try and go up to 1.7.0.157 and the auto-update says i am up to date.

Going to install the update manually.

You can, but a full download of 1.7.0.162 will be available soon (when there is a new pinned post).

We now know what was wrong with the small auto-update from #145 to #157, that failed for so many, sorry.  The next mac update (when ready) from #157 to #162 will be the smaller type and will (should) work, but the update from anything earlier (including #145) will need to be a full download, so our auto-update will reflect that shortly.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

42 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

You can, but a full download of 1.7.0.162 will be available soon (when there is a new pinned post).

We now know what was wrong with the small auto-update from #145 to #157, that failed for so many, sorry.  The next mac update (when ready) from #157 to #162 will be the smaller type and will (should) work, but the update from anything earlier (including #145) will need to be a full download, so our auto-update will reflect that shortly.

Thanks, Patrick.

Out of curiosity, is there a plan to make this auto-update functionality available to those of us using Windows once you have worked out the problems for the Mac community?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

...is there a plan to make this auto-update functionality available to those of us using Windows once you have worked out the problems for the Mac community?

There was, but the Windows implementation of the library we have chosen does not product smaller updates for Windows, so it would be useful for auto-downloading, installing and restarting, but not better for download size AND you would not get to save away the installer as it all happened in the temp folder, so implementation in Windows releases (from the Affinity store) is in the balance at the moment.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

I had problems using auto-updater going from 157 to 162. In the end, I had to reboot my Mac completely for it to work.

Affinity Photo 1.5.2; Affinity Designer 1.5.5; AP for iPad 1.6.2

macOS Sierra 10.12.6; Macbook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010); 2.66 GHz i7 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB, Intel HD Graphics 288 MB; 8GB RAM;

iPad Pro 12.9 inch 

I was able to update from 1.7.0.139 to 1.7.0.140 when auto-update was introduced. But after that, updates were never found through auto-update and I always had to download the full update from the forum link. Maybe I was too eager. Currently on 1.7.0.162 not finding the 1.7.0.167 update from yesterday. Is that in accordance with the testing status of this functionality or is there still a substantial delay between the link publication and the internal update availability?

1 hour ago, vonBusing said:

. Currently on 1.7.0.162 not finding the 1.7.0.167 update from yesterday. Is that in accordance with the testing status of this functionality or is there still a substantial delay between the link publication and the internal update availability?

I will check whether we are planning to put 167 on autoupdate because the Windows build cannot be used on Windows 7 we are trying to replace with a new build on both platforms. However that new build is illusive at the moment so perhaps updating MacOS automatically is the right move

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Auto-update did not work for me for the latest 1.7.0.192 build. "Check for updates" said I had the most up-to-date "1.7.0" version (no sub-build number given) but I was running the prior 1.7.0.174 build at the time.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Hi R C-R,

We almost always put new builds on the forum first as a full download before turning on auto-update, typically the next (working) day. 192 will probably be on auto-update later today.

Auto-update from v. 174 to v. 192 worked like a charm.  Up and running like a top!!

21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display. MacOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 (which I am not changing).  3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz.  Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3.  1TB Fusion Drive.  Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.   iPad Pro 12.9, iOS v. 12.3.1, Apple Pencil.  Affinity Publisher 1.7.2,  Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.   

Magic mouse.9_9

Updated to 192 with Auto-update without issues.

It would be more helpful/logical if the Auto-update message gave the 4 part version number (1.7.0.192) rather than only 3 parts version (1.7.0). Especially during beta programs where the 3 part number is not expected to change although new versions are distributed. Currently, you have to open the About window just to get that last number.

Tried to open APub and got the Update to 192 notification. However, all clicks resulted in an error sound with everything locked. Could not even quit and had to do a Force Quit. Tried multiple times with same results. It had worked for me with a couple previous updates, so not sure what went wrong with this one. 

High Sierra

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) • Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB • macOS High Sierra