You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Testing Affinity Publisher (Mac) Auto-Update

• Staff
8 hours ago, A_B_C said:

That works effortlessly … but when I buy my license from the Mac App Store, I will never need this, will I? :/

No, but you can now choose whether to buy from the Mac app store or the Affinity store, and all customer betas will do this.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

All well and working here, thanks.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

• Staff

@Gareth Webber

Thanks, and a (belated) Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Auto update worked for me for 140 build but perhaps the update window could come in front of welcome window? I nearly missed it! Pleased also that print preview has been fixed and booklet printing works with everything coming out the right way up. Previously in a four page booklet the inside pages were upside down compared with the front and back pages. It's getting there. Thank you!

• Staff

Thanks @NickJ, and (a slightly belated) welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Hello !
On my side it's pops well and i'm happy but the size is not that small at all (i'm already using version .139 on MacOS) its display 323.2MB of download when the initial setup for .139 is 306MB !

Maybe i'm missing something here and about the product but wanted to leave my input, may it help in some areas.

Blessings  !

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 12.39.49 PM.png

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Hello !
On my side it's pops well and i'm happy but the size is not that small at all (i'm already using version .139 on MacOS) its display 323.2MB of download when the initial setup for .139 is 306MB !

Maybe i'm missing something here and about the product but wanted to leave my input, may it help in some areas.

Blessings  !

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 12.39.49 PM.png

That is absolutely wrong. That means it "thinks" you are on a different version to either 1.7.0.133 or 1.7.0.139 so neither of the incrementals are appropriate. If it's not too late please dont install .140 and check your version. Alternatively if you were/are really are on build .139 then could you put Affinity Publisher in the recycle bin, redownload 1.7.0.139 from here and try again to see what size it offers please.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

@Arnaud Mez

Having discussed this with the developers, this can happen for 2 other reasons

1. the package had been tweaked or edited in any way by you so that the files it contains are in any way different from the ones we expect, so the delta is not appropriate.
  2. The delta was downloaded and extracted and then fails to apply and then the full download is done instead. In this case the 300MB download would have been after an initial smaller download and extraction process, followed by the large download (and extraction).

So it is quite possible that you were on build .139 but if you had edited any of the package files or if the smaller delta update failed to apply itself then that would cause  what you observed.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

That is absolutely wrong. That means it "thinks" you are on a different version to either 1.7.0.133 or 1.7.0.139 so neither of the incrementals are appropriate. If it's not too late please dont install .140 and check your version. Alternatively if you were/are really are on build .139 then could you put Affinity Publisher in the recycle bin, redownload 1.7.0.139 from here and try again to see what size it offers please.

Oups ! that's bad...
Well, you will see my actual status in the attached screenshots.
Looks strange to me too but i will do as you instructed but won't get back with fresh news before couples of hours ... would say 5 to 6h at least, internet in my country is not that fast so having to download massive packages makes it kind of impossible for me to do soemthing else on the network until the down is finished (if i want to avoid failure and many other problems) ... but will do that and revert here.

Blessings !

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 12.58.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 12.58.12 PM.png

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• Staff

sorry cross posted, please see my second reply. Did you knowingly change anything? If so there is no need.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

9 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Arnaud Mez

Having discussed this with the developers, this can happen for 2 other reasons

1. the package had been tweaked or edited in any way by you so that the files it contains are in any way different from the ones we expect, so the delta is not appropriate.
  2. The delta was downloaded and extracted and then fails to apply and then the full download is done instead. In this case the 300MB download would have been after an initial smaller download and extraction process, followed by the large download (and extraction).

So it is quite possible that you were on build .139 but if you had edited any of the package files or if the smaller delta update failed to apply itself then that would cause  what you observed.

Okay i see !

1- when it tried to update the software displayed 91KB of download size, then spend some second on extracting then ... switched to the bigger download not saying anything so i thought it was normal.

2- i have added my needed stuffs such as color palettes, brushes to my APub but after install only, could it be the possible cause of that issue.

3- i'm not good at coding (i code like an unborn humanxD) nor all the software tweaking stuffs, the only IT and computer i know is when it comes to setup a full server environment or architecture and play with things like switches etc... so ... software/package tweaking/dev etc. stuff is not what i know and will never be (i hope) what i like.

... No problem i will follow your instruction and maybe this will help us all to understand the issue and correct it.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• Staff
1 minute ago, Arnaud Mez said:

i have added my needed stuffs such as color palettes, brushes and nedded stuffs to my APub but after install only, coudl it be the possible cause of that issue.

As long as you added them through the UI in the app this is fine. I meant tweaking the installed files (in Applications).

It's good that the installer has this fallback and frankly I don't need you to do any more checking for now thanks, there will be plenty more updates before release and if internet is slow where you are this testing can wait until there are real benefits like there will be in build .141. Thanks for the interesting report.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

As long as you added them through the UI in the app this is fine. I meant tweaking the installed files (in Applications).

It's good that the installer has this fallback and frankly I don't need you to do any more checking for now thanks, there will be plenty more updates before release and if internet is slow where you are this testing can wait until there are real benefits like there will be in build .141. Thanks for the interesting report.

... thanks but i will help you guy and do this, as i also need to rest (spend the last 22h watching tutos and preparing videos that will go online).
... Once done and installed i will make another try for update and revert here.

No worries dear, better do that today instead of postponing (can't really stand proscrastenation when it pops xD)

Blessings !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.