You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Steven Georges,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, currently there's no way to hide the marching ants.

H is the shortcut for the Pan tool, and spacebar is for panning the document from any tool.

One way to approach this is to make your selection, press the Refine selection button on the context toolbar (except on the Flood Select Tool - there's no Refine selection button for that one) and use the feather slider to feather the selection - you will work with a mask overlay there rather than marching ants. Then apply it to the selection.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to add my two cents here and request this extremely valuable feature. Once I've confirmed my selection I ALWAYS hide the marching ants. Work arounds are a good short time solution, but command "h" definitely simplifies the process and speeds up workflow. Thanks

+1

Hi,

When you have the Move Tool active, pressing the Spacebar temporarily hides the border control handles around the edge of the layer content. Could the same Spacebar shortcut be adapted to also hide the Marching Ants selection border?

• 5 months later...

I strongly agree, we need a way to hide selection. It is very important when you are blending layers together, with the selection, sometimes you still end up with a narrow edge between the composite layers. The best way to get rid of it is to re-select, shrink/expand and feather and then work on the mask. However, since you are masking a very narrow band it is good to be able to see how much you are deleting and if too much feathering has been applied, so you need to see behind marching ants. 

It's on the list of common feature requests https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10410-common-feature-requests-index- so not implemented yet, no.

Thank you Manuela. I hope this feature will be implemented (and kind of surprised it is still not possible). I use it all the time in Photoshop and it makes it hard for me to switch.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry ?

I guess this thread is too old and got not updated with the recent info... here I explained how to do it exactly like in Photoshop, only difference is in PS you get to have the marching ants again in a new selection while in AP you need to remember you are in "selection hidden mode"  ;)

Even you can set it with ctrl + h, just as I have it.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28112-hide-selection/

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Oki, in case different languages versions wordings are different or cannot make you realize which option is, 2 screenshots, very clarifying.   :)  :  

You have the function accessible from menus :

post-31469-0-87595300-1479924619_thumb.jpg

Bt my advice is forget about that, for speed of use, and efficiency in your work, just configur eit in preferences, shortcuts section, select "view",  as is a command in view menu, then set ctrl + H, or whatever you prefer (this one works great) as the shortcut for hide and un hide selections. :)

post-31469-0-41376700-1479924725_thumb.jpg

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Sorry, am Windows only. Love Linux, love Macs, and had multi OS boot for years, not anymore, too much maintenance work   ;)

Mostly a beta user also (but purchased AD and will do so with AP). Didn't know the feature was beta only. But well, now you know how to use it once is out   :P

Sorry, am Windows only. Love Linux, love Macs, and had multi OS boot for years, not anymore, too much maintenance work   ;)

Mostly a beta user also (but purchased AD and will do so with AP). Didn't know the feature was beta only. But well, now you know how to use it once is out   :P

No problem and not complaining... Too happy that it is in :) Now I am running RC1.

But just wanted to let others know in case each individual search begins.

Thanks

Sascha

That's cool! :)

(when I put the :P emoticon is not complaining about a complain (can you say that in English?) , is just a bit of joking... :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the 'hide selection (marching ants)' question as it started in this topic April 1 2015.

I just installed the latest Affinity Photo 1.5

Can we now, after the update, hide the marching ants selection, just like it can be done in PS for ages?

On 08/12/2016 at 2:23 PM, night said:

Back to the 'hide selection (marching ants)' question as it started in this topic April 1 2015.

I just installed the latest Affinity Photo 1.5

Can we now, after the update, hide the marching ants selection, just like it can be done in PS for ages?

Ehm.... I explained (in detail) how to do that in the previous page !   :o:o:o

Plus, they are not Adobe, they don't need to clone PS.

Actually, what I did was simply link a thread where I explained it.  (feel free to click in my signature's link, instead)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6935-hide-selection-marching-ants/&p=142876

Plus, they are not Adobe, they don't need to clone PS.

Many of us have kbd shortcuts deeply memorized, almost instinct level, so it would be nice if AP would support those readymade instincts.

Problem with cmd-H is that it works fine in PS, but AP does not catch and stop it but delivers it to system which uses it to hide application. Well, selection border disappears for sure... 

I have not found in system preferences > keyboard any place to inactivate cmd.H.