You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thank you all for your help! I set a keyboard shortcut for show/hide Pixel Selection. As Fixx wrote, kb shortcuts are deeply memorised after +18 years of PS use, so it's a pity I can't set cmd H for the shortcut. I use K for it instead, can't make up something better, but I am open for suggestions :)

I very sincerely do not understand the issue here, and am trying...  I've been using Photoshop since '95 at jobs (that's 21 years, right ?) and have been able to work with not just the keys different but even different UIs. Yet so, I understand the will of having your exact ways of work in other software apps  (that's why I use x-mouse control with many applications) . But what I don't understand here is the specifics. I mean... You hit ctrl + h and the marquee marching ants dissapear. What's so different from PS ? Apart from the fact that in Adobe PS when you make a new selection it triggers again a new selection ?  I mean, i would agree that is more useful in *almost* every workflow, but even so, you have your ctrl+h hiding selections.

We have no right to tell a different company, and developing their own software to clone PS in even very specific details. Not just because they have their right to do as they prefer, but because the core internals are different. Somethings can indeed work not ideally if you try to clone all (is not the case, I know, here am speaking generally). 

Apart from that difference, what is it, that it does take a.01 of a second more ? something else? Because in that very matter I've been hiding and toggling it with ctrl h really happily. That's why am not getting it (being a rusted 21 years photoshoper of my, er, forty something. )

So, once ctrl h is configured as I explained before, I don't see any serious difference, and I can't realy see the issue. Trust me, am trying...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

@night

Confirming we are all in same page, speaking of Photo, go to preferences, shortcuts, and select the "VIEW" in the second deployable list.  Then you will find it. Is an old screenshot but I very much doubt they have removed it from preferences (other people have reported me to have configured my trick with no problems, so... ) :

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28112-hide-selection/&p=136142

Click on the second picture of that very exact post, and you will see it. :)

I do completely have shorcuts memorized, and to the level even that I have in PS (which I have used in my live more than most colleagues I know) , several 3D applications. Other 2D ones. In all, I have my set in my mind without which I'd feel uncomfortable, I recon. IE, turntable rotating with other than middle mouse (ie, alt rmb like I think is default in Maya) . But then, I set my usual utility to override shorcuts or mosue handling, or  just adapt.

The thing here is am quite curious about why here hitting ctrl + h to hide the selection like in PS is not enough for both of you..... (well, Night seems doesn't know well how  to do it... )

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 09/12/2016 at 2:21 PM, SrPx said:

@night

Confirming we are all in same page, speaking of Photo, go to preferences, shortcuts, and select the "VIEW" in the second deployable list.  Then you will find it. Is an old screenshot but I very much doubt they have removed it from preferences (other people have reported me to have configured my trick with no problems, so... ) :

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28112-hide-selection/&p=136142

Click on the second picture of that very exact post, and you will see it.   :)

I do completely have shorcuts memorized, and to the level even that I have in PS (which I have used in my live more than most colleagues I know) , several 3D applications. Other 2D ones. In all, I have my set in my mind without which I'd feel uncomfortable, I recon. IE, turntable rotating with other than middle mouse (ie, alt rmb like I think is default in Maya) . But then, I set my usual utility to override shorcuts or mosue handling, or  just adapt.

The thing here is am quite curious about why here hitting ctrl + h to hide the selection like in PS is not enough for both of you..... (well, Night seems doesn't know well how  to do it... )

I changed it to ctrl H, perfect. 

Great !

Problem with cmd-H is that it works fine in PS, but AP does not catch and stop it but delivers it to system which uses it to hide application.

Actually, as mentioned in the last paragraph here, for many years Photoshop on running on OS X has given users the option of using the "Mac standard" or the "traditional Photoshop" keyboard shortcut for CMD-H. The traditional one is ancient -- it dates back to before there was an OS X.

It takes considerable programming to override system level shortcuts built into OS X at the application level. One of the problems with that is updates/upgrades to OS X can break it completely or cause weird crashes or odd behaviors, necessitating updating/upgrading the app to fix it. Never one to miss an opportunity to maximize profits, Adobe has been known to do this only for paid upgrades.

Personally, this is one of the reasons I would rather stick with the Mac standard system level shortcuts, even when it means relearning old (in this case very old) keyboard habits.

YMMV.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@TKucey

On 2/1/2017 at 7:21 PM, MEB said:

Hi Phil_rose,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can already do this is Affinity Photo. Go to menu View and uncheck Show Pixel Selection. You can also set a custom shortcut for it in the Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section (set drop downs to Photo and View).

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

thanks for that , but it wasnt clear. Fortunately I asked in another thread and got specific directions that needed a little update workaround but it works now!

For anyone who needs it directions and a screenshot on how to are here: