You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Mac Users Only) Why can't I erase on a mask?

Note the arrows pointing to what happened when I tried to erase on a layer mask. Are any of my settings wrong to erase on a mask? I only changed the color of the area I wanted to erase. Why did this happen? I painted with both white and black and could never erase completely the area I want removed on the mask.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 4.43.30 PM.jpg

It always helps for us to see the expanded layer and the mask selected. This can show if people have blend modes applied to a mask, the opacity levels and what type of mask it is.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Well guy's, looks like I was confusing the HSL adj and as mask adj layer. In the original image I sent, you can see where I am painting on the HSL layer. I confused it was a mask layer. So deleted the painted HSL layer and added a new HSL then a Mask layer, for the eye color. Must have been tired or sloppy or both. Thanks.

x.thumb.jpg.751e64b61f605e423635bedcbb242e71.jpg

BTW: each adjustment or filter has a "mask" in it self. If you just want BW most of the picture and the eyes coloeerd you do not need an extra mask. You can do masking on the HSL itself. Black - hides, white -shows like on a real mask!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

@blackxactoEasily done ;-) sometimes it needs a nudge you wake you up, glad you got it sorted. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

BTW: each adjustment or filter has a "mask" in it self. If you just want BW most of the picture and the eyes coloeerd you do not need an extra mask. You can do masking on the HSL itself. Black - hides, white -shows like on a real mask!

I guess I proved that without realising, thanks.