You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move Master Page to another file

I would do a "Save as..." delete all the pages (Not the Masters because those are what we want preserved) and import the PDF into that.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

25 minutes ago, Tyson of the Northwest said:

So I have a document that just has the master pages, I am not seeing a way to import the contents of the PDF into the document.  I have tried dragging the file to the Pages sidebar and nothing happens.  Am I blind or just not seeing the import option?

Ahh, I think I spoke before actually thinking about what you asked. I shall think on this, do not wait up though.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I don't think there is a way to copy master pages from one document to  another today, nor do I know if it's planned (but it would be nice).

(I'm not even sure there's a way to copy document pages from one .afpub  document to another.)

By the way, what are the "merge limits" referred to in the initial post in this topic?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

By the way, what are the "merge limits" referred to in the initial post in this topic?

There is a merge limit in that there is no way to merge content into the publication. I am designing decks of cards, the contents of each card is in a spreadsheet, so far there is not a way to give Affinity Publisher my spreadsheet and have it generate a page for each row.  So now I am merging it in MS Publisher, exporting it as a PDF, then importing it into Affinity Publisher. At least until our programmer puts together a script to generate the PDF from the spreadsheet.

At this point my workflow is: 

1. Create the template in MS Publisher
  2. Merge the spreadsheet
  3. Export the PDF
  4. Import the PDF into Affinity Publisher
  5. Page settings/dpi/etc.
  6. Design the Master Page
  7. Set style for each text box in each card
  8. Proof each card

As opposed to the inDesign workflow of:

1. Design the master page
  2. Design the merge template with style set for each text box in the template once 
  3. Give inDesign the spreadsheet
  4. Proof each card. 

The longer term solution looks like it will be replace parts 1-3 with a custom coded script to generate the PDF according to a programmed template. Which will take a bit more time to set up, but should simplify the process, but won't speed it up much because of step 7 & 8.