You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving objects, without transforming.

I have been experimenting with this and think I have found a solution.

There is no need to zoom in but it is absolutely essential that the object you want to move is not selected first! If it is selected, pressing and then trying to move it will transform it 100% of the time (for me, anyway).

I managed to get tiny objects to move 95% of the time, but at least it never once transformed anything. The worst that happened was that I missed selecting the object and didn't move it.

As you can see below, the text and line were very small compared to the page but I managed to move either object (almost) every time without zooming in and without once transforming either.

text.jpg.17610fbd4d4e70cec0968464846daf07.jpg

Perhaps you could try and let me know?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

@toltec I can confirm that this works using pencil, in both Designer and Photo on iPad Pro. Notice how when selected, the small rectangle 'transforms instead of moving. Having said that I wonder if devices with different screen resolutions will behave differently?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

@DM1

A very good point about different screen resolutions.

I am using an iPad Air 2, so not the best iPad has to offer. At least I can get my text example to move first time every time now (a bit of target practice helped ;)). The line is harder because it is quite hard to ‘get’ the little blighter with fat fingers.

At least nothing transformed once, which was driving me nuts >:(

15 minutes ago, anudeep said:

Please give a solution!

Did you not actually read the first post? 

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, anudeep said:

When you have an object in the background, its tough to move directly without tapping and selecting at the first. 

Good point, I hadn’t considered that. Well at least Serif have enough clues now to fix this issue.

1 hour ago, anudeep said:

When you have an object in the background, its tough to move directly without tapping and selecting at the first. 

I think in that case, zooming in or using the Transform panel are the only viable options. Although if "Select Under" is selected, you can sometimes move it if you pause, before moving. I tried with the text under the rectangle and got it to move some of the time (about 1 in 6). It's a question of tapping off a handle, which is very hard.

I would still prefer to see a "force move" modifier, where the Move Tool only moves when the modifier key is pressed.

This is not an acceptable ‘solution’.  Selecting and moving objects should be about the easiest thing for a user to perform in a design application.  It should work consistently and smoothly.  They need to fix this issue.

iPad Pro 9.7” (A1674), Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45

8 minutes ago, Phil K. said:

It should work consistently and smoothly.  They need to fix this issue.

I agree, but at least I can now select and move an object like the text example (above) 99% of the time.

That is 99 times better than I managed before, when I never managed to get it to move.

Here’s why I say this is not a solution

1. The item has to be in an unselected state initially
  2. If you move the item it changes to a transform state.  Any tap actions on the item in this state will transform the object.
  3. After you move the item you have to unselect it to change it from transform state to the unselected state then attempt to move it again.
  4. Repeat 1-4.  ad nauseum. 

If I want to move the same item again, I shouldn’t have to deselect the item first before attempting to move it.  If I do not deselect the item after the first move, when I attempt to move the item a second time it will transform instead of moving the item (since it is already in the selected state which favors transforming over moving)

Here’s what should happen:

1. select the item
  2. move the item to a new position. or transform the item using the handles.
  3. unselect the item.

The Graphic app selection/move workflow is smooth and seamless.  You don’t have to worry about whether the item is currently selected or not just to move it.  In the attached video of Graphic you can see that you can move an item by selecting the item and moving it, or you can transform the item by using the handles.  Even if the item is currently selected you can move the item without transforming it since the only way to transform the item is by using the handles.  

17 minutes ago, Phil K. said:

Here’s what should happen:

1. select the item
  2. move the item to a new position. or transform the item using the handles.
  3. unslect the item.

Yes I agree, but the point is, that doesn't happen now.

So until Serif fix it, it is better to be able to move objects in any way you can. All software has failings and needs workarounds until they fix it/improve it.

I would rather use the software with a temporary solution/workaround than not use it at all. 30 years ago Photoshop has so many "absolutely essential" features missing. That didn't stop me using it, I just found ways to do what I wanted. Now of course, it has a tool to do everything automatically (more or less).

What bothers me more is the stupid grey on black interface. Hard to do anything when you can't see the tools or read the menus.

going through steps 1-4 that I described isn’t a workable ‘workaround’ to this problem.  Having to unselect an item before moving it is NOT a good workaround to the problem.   

Any 'workaround' is exactly that, a work around. If it (the work around) enables some users to carry out a function they were previously unable to complete, then that must be a good thing surely.  Perhaps Phil, in the absence of an immediate update to fix this issue, you could suggest a better alternative rather than simply state how it should work (something we are all aware of anyway, and something we know is not happening). And yes, the bug is frustrating and needs to be fixed ASAP! ;)

And again, read my post. 

7 hours ago, Phil K. said:

Here’s why I say this is not a solution

1. The item has to be in an unselected state initially
  2. If you move the item it changes to a transform state.  Any tap actions on the item in this state will transform the object.
  3. After you move the item you have to unselect it to change it from transform state to the unselected state then attempt to move it again.
  4. Repeat 1-4.  ad nauseum. 

If I want to move the same item again, I shouldn’t have to deselect the item first before attempting to move it.  If I do not deselect the item after the first move, when I attempt to move the item a second time it will transform instead of moving the item (since it is already in the selected state which favors transforming over moving)

going through steps 1-4 that I described isn’t a workable ‘workaround’ to this problem.  Having to unselect an item before moving it is NOT a good workaround to the problem.   

If this is a workaround that you feel comfortable with then that's fine.  It's not an ideal or even practical workaround for me and others.  If you disagree that's entirely up to you.  I paid for the app and others have also paid for the app so I don't think that it is out of order for people to voice their frustrations with using the app. 

It is already logged as a bug with Serif. We are waiting (some less patiently than others) for a fix. In the meantime some users have identified and shared their  'work arounds', that while not ideal, may in some cases help other users while we all wait for Serif to fix the issue. :)

You can also post another report in the bug thread if you think that will help.

9 hours ago, BettyF said:

How about going to “settings, preferences, tools, move tool aspect constrain, always constrain”

doesn’t help with selecting an object.  That is an aspect ratio / scaling setting

• 3 weeks later...

One problem I have with having an object deselected is that I often import sketches into the app and even though the layer with the sketch is locked, I can’t select an object because the locked layer always gets selected. It would be nice if locking a layer means it can’t be selected, and that an object could be moved while being selected. 

On 10/3/2018 at 9:55 AM, toltec said:

Although if "Select Under" is selected, you can sometimes move it if you pause, before moving.

Hello toltec,

Unfortunately, the Move tool does not work reliably with groups in the background either. Select under and inside do not work reliably. I think the tool should be fixed.