You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rulers and Dragging Guides from Rulers

I am trying out the new pica measurements, and have found something which I may not have noticed in v. 133, but cannot go back to, because this new download (v. 139) wiped out v. 133.  When I drag a guide from either the horizontal or vertical ruler, it places the guide, as it should, on the document window.  Unfortunately either I haven't a clue about how to make those guides carry over to the rulers on the desktop, or that has changed.   The guide stops at the edge of the document window, so that I cannot tell where, precisely, it is located on the pica ruler.  Since -- currently -- the pica measurements are so tiny -- and they show up in increments of 2 picas each, this is making layout a pretty dodgy affair.   I am about to invest in a set of binoculars.

I also described the pica ruler difficulties under the topic, Picas.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

And in the utter dolt department we have -- drum roll please -- me.    At least part of the time.  Clicking on the zoom tool, and then a guide, shows a marker on the ruler - sometimes.  At least it did for me on the vertical ruler.  On the horizontal ruler, no.    But the guides definitely do not carry over from the document window across the desktop to the rulers.  Oh well.  Can't have everything.  LOVE PUBLISHER!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

I always seem to have markers on the rulers for both horizontal and vertical guides (and regardless of whether I use the Light or Dark UI). You're right, though, that the guides themselves do not carry across the pasteboard; they show only on the pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I get some guides sometimes showing up and others not, I can figure neither the rhyme nor reason.

image.png.b4e120ae10fff082249ee5850eb041f7.png

52 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

this is making layout a pretty dodgy affair.   I am about to invest in a set of binoculars.

If you need precision for the guide locations use the Guides Manager, View > Guides Manager...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Guides Manager doesn't do a thing about showing location of guides on the vertical ruler.  Just makes binoculars optional.  I am using the grayed out desktop, versus the black one.   Horizontal ruler is fine with guides.  Vertical is missing in action.   I wonder whether the Affinities could consider a "Show Guides on Pasteboard/Desktop/Artboard"  (whatever they name it) option which we could choose, or unclick?

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Vertical is missing in action.  

Wow! There is something wrong here. 

This is what I have

image.png.cdefad0ed775947fd1ba682856d080bd.png

==============================

Are you maybe only seeing the Text Ruler?

image.png.d65f00b6662b8644d956226cf0e7ca38.png

Regardless I think the Guides still need some work.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I didn't  mean that my vertical ruler is missing. It is there.  Both rulers are where they should be.  I meant that the indicator(s) on the vertical ruler to show where a guide or guides is(are) located is(are) missing.

Your screen shots from 2 hours ago are what the rulers should look like.  Mine do not.  Tried several times.  I have had all of these View>Show options that you indicate above already checked before I started this experiment.

Stumped.    

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

I meant that the indicator(s) on the vertical ruler to show where a guide or guides is(are) located is(are) missing.

Okay, we are on the same page again. If you look at the earlier screenshot you'll see that there are mistakes in the indicators and they do go away.

I would like to have them but I find that hitting command + 2 zooms in enough and I can scroll from side to side and up and down. The page will be large enough  that the guides are on the page and under the rulers.

But yeah, still needs work. Check your screen resolution and maybe change it before investing in binoculars because they need both hands to hold up slowing you down and your wrists will get tired.

Quick question for everyone. Are your guide measurements listed based on page origin (top left), or ruler origin.

I have the ruler origin set to the middle of a two page spread (binding), and guide tips showing me position relative to the left or top edge of the document. Certainly not insurmountable, but annoying to have to pause to think about it.

SDLeary

12 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

Quick question for everyone. Are your guide measurements listed based on page origin (top left), or ruler origin.

Page origin. I reported this as a possible bug earlier today. I don't think it was previously reported, but that depends on how good my forum searching was :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

29 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

Are your guide measurements listed based on page origin (top left), or ruler origin.

Spread origin, i.e.on a two page spread it is from the top left of the left page even for the right page. I would like it to be the ruler origin like the Transform studio.