You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert finished 2-page spreads to single pages?

For ease of printing I find I need my spreads to be single pages. I do not see where it is possible to convert already formatted & filled 2-page spreads to single pages. Am I missing something? Thanks, all for assisting!!

4 hours ago, Pebowski said:

Have you tried on Document setup to uncheck the Facing pages?

That worked - thanks!

Using this on an existing series of spreads, all my text and images are still there; however,  I find every page now has the same margin settings. What I want is a wider margin at the center of opposing pages.

I thought I would create a right hand and left hand master & apply those where appropriate, but I seem to be unable to create a pair single page masters with differing margin settings. I want a left hand master with 5/8" (.625") margins except 1" on the right side, and a right hand master with 5/8" margins except 1" on the left side. whenever I try to put the 1" margin on the left or right, all the other settings revert...

Any suggestions?

I can do what you say with a new document. Are you trying to do this retroactively to existing two page spread documents.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I can do what you say with a new document. Are you trying to do this retroactively to existing two page spread documents.

Yes - retroactively. Actually, I think my original margins remain - but I'm seeing a purple border I believe represents margin, and it is not right...

Jemez,

I just made a two page spread document and then split it into single pages and there is some stuff happening. Left and Right are kind of ... relative . This needs more investigation but right now I just had a crash after closing and quitting the application so I am going to call it a day. But yeah, all is not right.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar issue. When I create a new spread doc I get the first and last pages listed as 'single page' before the pages i nbetween are all shown as 'two-page' spreads.

This is fine but when I tick 'Facing' check box after creating a single page document it groups all the pages into two page spreads.

I have a doc whereby graphics flow across all the pages and I need to check that they all lineup correctly ahead of print. I'd like the option to view any two pages side by side, with or without the 'centre-page' bleed. At the moment I can't see an easy way to do this.

2 hours ago, Quinwolf said:

I have a similar issue. When I create a new spread doc I get the first and last pages listed as 'single page' before the pages i nbetween are all shown as 'two-page' spreads.

This is fine but when I tick 'Facing' check box after creating a single page document it groups all the pages into two page spreads.

I have a doc whereby graphics flow across all the pages and I need to check that they all lineup correctly ahead of print. I'd like the option to view any two pages side by side, with or without the 'centre-page' bleed. At the moment I can't see an easy way to do this.

Perhaps if you change the start page from right to left?

23 minutes ago, Jemez said:

Perhaps if you change the start page from right to left?

Erm... Yes. That does it.

I could have sworn I tried that before but it spread every page into two whether left or right selected. I wondered what the point of it was.

However, I've just reopened the same doc to test, selecting right means the cover and back page sit as one-page. Selecting left means everything sits as two-page spread. As I'd expect.

Thanks! 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I select "convert to single page" from spread layout I get the spreads combined as a single page... that is the 6x9 individual pages become 12x9 pages. I want the typical 6x9 stacked individual pages.

Also someone mentioned to make the conversion when exporting PDF but I don't see that option.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, oneearth said:

When I select "convert to single page" from spread layout I get the spreads combined as a single page... that is the 6x9 individual pages become 12x9 pages. I want the typical 6x9 stacked individual pages.

Also someone mentioned to make the conversion when exporting PDF but I don't see that option.

By "Spread Layout" do you mean "Spread Setup"? If so, I'm not aware of a "convert to single page" there.

If you meant "Document Setup" then there's still no "convert to single page" to select. There is a "Facing Page" option that is enabled (checked) or disabled (not checked), which is what you would want to use. And it works correctly for me.

Can you provide a sample .afpub file that shows the problem?

Exporting a PDF: When you have a document that is set to have Facing Pages, and you export to a PDF, you can set the Area to "All Pages" rather than the default "All Spreads":

image.png.6cd156d0e696f502ec2d5c8afb37a035.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 8:48 AM, abysan said:

I have a problem when I wnat to "cut" my double pages to single one

If you are doing this for printing purposes, don't.  Instead, when you export the PDF, choose to export "All Pages" instead of "All Spreads".

This will do what you want at the time of export so that the design file can be kept in the generally more useful facing pages mode.

If you do need to split them in the Publisher file for some reason, I don't believe this is currently possible without some added manual work.  You would need to find all of the objects that span across the spreads and manually copy them from whichever side they wind up on to the side they were missing from.

• 8 months later...

Thanks, that is most helpful.

I have now been asked for my single pages to be ‘double sided’ for printing.

Am I right in thinking that once exported as a .pdf this is done at the print document stage in the printer options?

Or is there a back to back design option?

Thanks in anticipation!

Paul

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Matt Chait.

Do you want to switch the document to single pages, or do you want to switch an exported PDF to single pages? They are different operations.

For your other question, add your pages, then use the menu Document > Section Manager to add a new section starting on page 3, but with the numbering starting from 1.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 hours ago, Matt Chait said:

Thanks for responding.  I want to switch a document to single pages.

image.png.d82f06d52b3b4a1a92edfa7ba14b2eef.png

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.