You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

strange marks with edge detect filter

Hi, Could someone tell me what these strange marks are that appear when I use the edge detect filter? It seems to appear on a selection of photos which I took (using the same camera) on one day, but not all in the same place - they're literally on all the photos if I test the edge detect!

I just hope its not a defect on the lens - a fixed lens Fujifilm X100T!

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 22.03.21.png

Looks like a kind of Moire, is this white area post added to the image?

is it possible to upload the file?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Joesh,

Welcome to the forums :) I've downloaded file DSCF1408.RAF,  please see below for my results of running the Filters>Detect>Detect Edges on this image, after developing the image and converting the colour format to 32bit, as in your screenshot.

image.png

Had you edited the image further than this before running the filter? Could you possible provide a copy of a .afphoto file where this is present?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Wow, so it might be a problem elsewhere?

Answering your questions (as to editing): No, I just pressed develop from RAW, then made a duplicate and used the filter edge detect - trying out a technique I'd seen on Affinity tutorials using edge detect.

Secondly, where do I find the '.afphoto' file as i'm new to affinity.

Thanks in advance

Hi Joesh,  You would have to save the document as an afphoto file (File > Save) you would then be asked where to save it.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Can you remember the steps you took before you applied the Detect: Detect Edges ?

11 minutes ago, Joesh said:

Answering your questions (as to editing): No, I just pressed develop from RAW, then made a duplicate and used the filter edge detect - trying out a technique I'd seen on Affinity tutorials using edge detect.

Hi firstdefence I guess you just posted before I printed the above message (see the quote). I think I might have understood my error, since Dan C mentioned converting to 32bit. I also tried develop (to 32bit) > edge detect, and everything looks fine. Is this where I'm maybe going wrong? Do I need to convert my RAW photo to 32bit before using edge detect....?  

3 minutes ago, Joesh said:

Okay, I found the where .afphoto is - I hadn't thought you need to save it - see below.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing what the problem is, I'm most curious that you can do this no problem... but I get these lines!

Untitled.afphoto

Another tip I forgot to mention is you can Save the file with History. As long as you haven't redone anything it should show the steps taken and we can go back and forth in the history panel. If you look in the history panel it will show you the steps you took.

The option for this is File > Save History With Document 

Personally, I think this is just a one off graphical anomaly, unless it can be reproduced. I've tried applying Edge Detect and got nothing but a funky image with no moire effect.

7 minutes ago, Joesh said:

Is this where I'm maybe going wrong? Do I need to convert my RAW photo to 32bit before using edge detect....?  

I didn't read the post properly where you mentioned what you had done sorry, I've tried the 32bit process all ways and it doesn't make any difference my end.

• Staff

Hi Joesh,
I've reproduced this here. It happens when you have Develop Persona set to output 32bit images. Go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... with the RAW already opened and set the RAW output format dropdown to RGB (16 bit). Reload the RAW file again. You should then be able to apply the filter correctly. I'm logging this to be looked at.

• Staff
Just now, MEB said:

I've reproduced this here. It happen when you have Develop Persona set to output 32bit images.

You beat me by a matter of seconds! ;)

@Joesh Could you please confirm if your develop assistant settings are set to 32 bit output?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Yes, development assistant was a 32bit, I'm trying again and it seems to work, maybe you can explain where I've been going wrong?

I'll do a full test when I get back later this afternoon - I have to head off to work.

Just to assure you (me too), here's a screen shot.

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 12.47.36.png

I tried using 32bit HDR export from Develop Persona with both of the RAF files and it didn't create the moire when I developed them and then applied the edge detect, but it does it on the DSCF1407.afphoto file, if I drop to 16bit and then back to 32bit the moire effect doesn't happen.