You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spare Channel "Load to ..... Alpha"

I watched the tutorial Channels:Creating/Storing Selections and learned that I could load a spare channel into the alpha of a layer - an adjustment layer for example.  I have created a spare channel and wish to load it into the mask(alpha) of an adjustment layer.  When I right click on the spare channel, I do not have the option to Load to the Alpha of the adjustment layer.  I have attached a screen shot showing that the menu item is not available and the list ends with "Intersect with Pixel Selection".  Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?/what is going on?

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 10.26.19 PM.png

With the HSL Adjustment selected (as you have now) right click on your 'Sky' channel and it should give you the option to load to Alpha. As below.

hsl.jpg.a2a47e49ef6af714704d87b771e94234.jpg

Works when I do it. Are you sure you are right clicking above the 'Sky' channel?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

At least on the Mac version, you have to right-click on the spare channel's thumbnail in the Channels panel -- if you click on the channel's name or anywhere else to the right of the thumbnail, you won't get that last item in the popup menu. IIRC, this has been reported & acknowledged as a bug that will be fixed in some future update.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Toltec and RC-R thank you for the help.  I am on a Mac and I now see that you must be on the thumbnail for the right click to present the menu item.  Oddly, it also works if you click just to the left of the trash icon.  I am a long time PS user w is giving AF a good solid try.  So far I love it.  I am not expecting it to work identically to PS and am impressed where it has made many improvements to my workflow in PS.  I am struggling a bit with the Channels as I routinely edit the alpha channels in PS (dodge, burn, blur etc) to make selections and masks  and see that cannot be done directly with AF.  I have been converting the alpha to a grayscale, editing and then saving back to a mask - it works and that is where I ran into this issue.  So, thanks once again.  Jim

• 8 months later...

(As of Photo v1.7.0 on Mac desktop): Right-clicking on the Spare Channel's thumbnail does not display the Options Menu. The only way to display the Options Menu is to right-click just to the left of the Spare Channel's trash can. At least this is my experience on my Mac desktop as of v1.7.0, June 10, 2019.

• 2 weeks later...