You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stylistic sets not properly memorised

Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.139 on Windows 7 (64 bit, German) behaves as follows:

• Create a document with a text frame and insert some characters.
  • From the 'Text Styles' panel, change the 'Base' group style by right-clicking on it and choosing 'Edit'. The 'Edit Text Style' dialog appears.
  • Under 'Font', choose an OpenType font supporting several stylistic sets.
  • Under 'Variants', switch some stylistic sets on by typing '1' into the corresponding edit fields (instead of the [No change] text).
  • Click 'OK'. The stylistic changes should now be visible. Fine.
  • Edit the 'Base' style again. This time, delete the numbers '1' from the stylistic set edit fields. The fields now display [No change] again. Fine.
  • Click 'OK'. By some reason, the stylistic changes are still visible (nothing happened).
  • Edit the 'Base' style again. Surprise: The previously entered numbers '1' have appeared again, even though they were thrown away the last time.
  • Apparently, these settings can never be set to [No change] again. This also happens with any other paragraph style whose once defined stylistic sets should be removed again.

It would be nice if one could get back to the [No change] setting for stylistic sets...

Andreas Weidner

PS: It might be that I don't understand the GUI in this case: In contrast to Affinity Designer and any other program I know, Affinity Publisher not only supports switching stylistic sets on or off, but can cope with the entry of numbers (e.g., 0, 1, 3, -4, etc.). I don't have the slightest idea what this means (and haven't found anything in the help pages, either)...

I now created a text style based on 'Base' and tried putting '-1' into the stylistic set edit fields. This threw away the unwanted stylistic sets inherited from 'Base', but editing the text style again now does not show '-1' in the edit fields as entered previously, but [No change], even though the base style uses the stylistic sets, but the inherited style doesn't. This seems all very confusing, and I give up trying to understand that behaviour. It certainly feels like a bug...

• Staff

Hi,

I would possibly expect this behaviour whilst on editing the Base style, but if I edit a style that is based on another style I can still reproduce being unable to get it back to [No change], which I've logged with the developers to look into.

Thanks for reporting this.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.