You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Words with soft hyphen are shown as misspelled

Maybe connect to this bug: when import a PDF, then hyphen ("-") set to hidden character, not imported as normal hyphen (this is important in hungarian communication in book). I imported a PDF with normal hyphens. Is this Publisher settings, or bug when import?

See my preview, here is hidden hyphens after import:

hyphens-hidden.thumb.jpg.0bea68c8147537dd49d5f6a110c8d1ef.jpg

And what I see when no turn on hidden characters:

hyphens-no.thumb.jpg.cdd5467984160511d288f1f1ec3dea84.jpg

@mykee – I think it's not a bug but misconception of what hyphen is for. Let me explain on that:

In polish books there's a similar concept of indicating dialogs and narration, but we do it with dashes: en – or em —. Hyphen however is used only for... hyphenation.

So why Publisher changes hyphens to soft ones? Because it expects them to be placed only at the end of a line and inside a word. Thanks to the change if you resize a text frame, you don't get a hyphen in the middle of the running text.

What you can do about it?

• Use find and replace (soft hyphen => en dash)
  • Import better typesetted documents :)

Thanks for great tip, just I wondered, why replace text what was there to a hidden character. Ok, typography is better with em or en dashes, but these was not changed before converted to PDF in 2014. I think, this document need a repair, and prepare for ebook formats, but I cannot see dashes. :) 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.