Mark Clifford

Lagging. Never used to be like this Affinity!

Hi Mark Clifford :)

I'm sorry to see this, it certainly isn't expected behaviour. Could you please confirm what version of Mac OS you're running?

Resetting the app back to defaults may help. You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. 

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Mark, I have found one thing that seems to really slow down Ad for me and that is to leave the Undo Limit at a high number.  I can't imaging wanting to Undo over a thousand steps.  Anyway I have had better operations when it is set to 400 some Undos.  I hope that helps.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

5 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Mark, I have found one thing that seems to really slow down Ad for me and that is to leave the Undo Limit at a high number.  I can't imaging wanting to Undo over a thousand steps.  Anyway I have had better operations when it is set to 400 some Undos.  I hope that helps.

Thanks! Mine was just above 1000 so it cannot be that surely. I have found by playing around though that it is significantly improve after switching off the tools highlights below :35_thinking:

1992819073_ScreenShot.thumb.png.9e0681390eb697c972c4acda14b6cfc0.png

I am founder and managing director of Metcast, a meteorological agency which has operated Snow Watch since it's inception in 2008. 

Was it the snapping or one of the force Pixel selections?  I don't usually have the force pixel setting on, but always have snap on (just about always) with no problem.  Good luck.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Not to worry, could you please provide a copy of the Affinity document to the following link, as well as a screenshot here of your settings in Affinity under Preferences>Performance?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/YUIpqCiOrrZFWavTM2IR

We're currently running a version 1.7.2 beta through our forums, would you mind downloading the latest beta version and testing your file here? I recommend creating a copy of your file for backup purposes before loading it in the beta :)

EDIT: Apologies, I've just realised you're using the Mac version - we haven't yet released the Mac 1.7.2 beta but we hope to have this on our forums ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for that Mark, could you provide a copy of your .afdesign file also?

Done 

I am founder and managing director of Metcast, a meteorological agency which has operated Snow Watch since it's inception in 2008. 

On 7/18/2019 at 5:04 PM, Mark Clifford said:

Sorry for the late response but it stopped and has just started again... here's the snapping settings...

From your screenshot, it looks like you have snapping enabled but have disabled all of the snapping options (so nothing will snap to anything). Was that intended, & if so why not just disable snapping instead?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

From your screenshot, it looks like you have snapping enabled but have disabled all of the snapping options (so nothing will snap to anything). Was that intended, & if so why not just disable snapping instead?

Nope! Definitely not the issue as I have since disabled the snapping options.

Hi @Mark Clifford - you should blur or censor the serial number of your Mac when posting this kind of screenshot online, since plenty of Hackintoshers crawl the web for these very screenshots to fetch serial numbers for their Hackintosh machines.
There are also other people who might misuse it to gain some stuff at your expense.
Just a friendly fyi :14_relaxed:

1 hour ago, CLC said:

Hi @Mark Clifford - you should blur or censor the serial number of your Mac when posting this kind of screenshot online, since plenty of Hackintoshers crawl the web for these very screenshots to fetch serial numbers for their Hackintosh machines.
There are also other people who might misuse it to gain some stuff at your expense.
Just a friendly fyi :14_relaxed:

Thank you! I have hidden the post as I cannot delete it now. Will do the same with your post if it isn't gone when I refresh the page. 

Thanks for your file Mark, it appears to be caused by the 'Map' curves object which consists of thousands of nodes.

Could you please try copying the Rounded Rectangle with the Map object nested and then use File>New From Clipboard. Save the document that is created as map.afdesign, then return to your original document and use File>Place to bring this newly saved afdesign file onto your canvas.

Transform the embedded document until you are happy with its size and position, then delete the rounded rectangle layer with the Map layer nested, leaving you with the embedded document only. Does this improve performance for you at all? 

I'm glad to hear it! AFAIK, With the map object in your document Affinity is constantly 'watching' and calculating these nodes, as there's so many of them this can cause slowdown. With the file embedded the main document is now only 'watching' the boundaries of that embedded document, so it considerably reduces the amount of live nodes in the document, allowing for less processing power to continue watching/redrawing these nodes.