You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Whenever I do something like changing the canvas size, the view reverts to "Fit" instead of maintaining the view I was currently using for the screen, which requires me to change the view again each time back to 100%. 

Is there a way to turn this off, or set a default view size that is used so I don't have to keep switching it back while working on a file? 

• Staff

Hi TomHu :)

Unfortunately there's no current option to default to a different zoom amount other than 'Fit' currently, it's a requested feature and we hope to add it into a later version!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan, 

Okay, thanks. Actually, what would be even better is to simply maintain the current view/zoom level no matter what happens on the canvas. But being able to choose between a "default view" and the "current view" would be excellent options. 

• 3 years later...
On 10/2/2018 at 8:29 AM, Dan C said:

Hi TomHu :)

Unfortunately there's no current option to default to a different zoom amount other than 'Fit' currently, it's a requested feature and we hope to add it into a later version!

Has there been any progress on this? As a web designer I need to see the actual size of images and the fact it opens at 'fit' size by default is problematic.

When I open an image I want to see it at actual size so automatically hit Command + 1 too show the image at 100%, but because the View Tool is automatically selected by default all this does is make the image or layer 10% opacity. I have to remember to select the Move Tool before I use the keyboard shortcut and often forget to do so. Drives me nuts.

Also I'd *love* there to be an option to *disable* the 'fit to view' option when clicking on a layer name in the Layers palette. After nearly a year of using AP full time my muscle memory still hasn't mastered being extra careful in selecting a layer in the Layers palette so as not to change the view size. I'm always accidentally clicking on the 'wrong' bit of the layer name and triggering 'fit'. My fault, no doubt, but I'd love to be able to disable this feature.

1 hour ago, colindun said:

When I open an image I want to see it at actual size so automatically hit Command + 1 too show the image at 100%, but because the View Tool is automatically selected by default all this does is make the image or layer 10% opacity. I have to remember to select the Move Tool before I use the keyboard shortcut and often forget to do so. Drives me nuts.

Shouldn’t 10% opacity only result from pressing the 1 key on its own? I don’t use a Mac, but I would expect ⌘1 to set the view zoom to 100% regardless of which tool is currently active.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, colindun said:

When I open an image I want to see it at actual size so automatically hit Command + 1 too show the image at 100%, but because the View Tool is automatically selected by default all this does is make the image or layer 10% opacity.

That sounds like you did not press Cmd. As @Alfred mentioned, the keyboard shortcuts are not sensitive to the tool that is active.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 hours ago, Alfred said:

Shouldn’t 10% opacity only result from pressing the 1 key on its own? I don’t use a Mac, but I would expect ⌘1 to set the view zoom to 100% regardless of which tool is currently active.

By default, (zoom to) 100% is ⌘0 ⌘1 but of course as you might expect, it can be customized to something else. However, the opacity number key shortcuts are wired into the app & cannot be used for anything else. This is because unlike normal keyboard shortcuts they respond to quick multiple key presses, so for example pressing the 1 key twice quickly set the opacity to 11%, pressing 8 quickly followed by pressing 1 sets it to 81%, & so on. This makes it possible to set the opacity to any percent integer from 0 to 100%.

So it would seem that @colindun either did not press the ⌘ key when the 1 key was pressed or released it slightly before pressing the 1 key.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:25 AM, colindun said:

As a web designer I need to see the actual size of images and the fact it opens at 'fit' size by default is problematic.

What exactly do you mean by "actual size" in the context of an image on a web page? For example, what is the actual size of either of these images? 1605799683_AcmeTruck.jpg.4104c6a0377428c41e92670ab781f935.jpg

1605799683_AcmeTruck.jpg.4104c6a0377428c41e92670ab781f935.jpg

The answer is they are both the same image & have exactly the same pixel size (708 × 338) but are just sized differently on the page.

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

By default, (zoom to) 100% is ⌘0

⌘0 should, by default, be zoom to fit (i.e. the same effect as double-clicking on the Zoom Tool icon).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

⌘0 should, by default, be zoom to fit (i.e. the same effect as double-clicking on the Zoom Tool icon).

Duh! You are right, of course. I referred to https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/shortcuts.html for this but somehow managed to mix up (zoom to) 100% & Zoom to Fit.

I will fix my post now.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 4/9/2022 at 6:00 PM, walt.farrell said:

That sounds like you did not press Cmd. As @Alfred mentioned, the keyboard shortcuts are not sensitive to the tool that is active.

Yeah, my mistake, sorry. I appear to be hitting Control + 1, which is bizarre. Where did that muscle memory come from? 

On 4/9/2022 at 11:13 PM, R C-R said:

By default, (zoom to) 100% is ⌘0 ⌘1 but of course as you might expect, it can be customized to something else. However, the opacity number key shortcuts are wired into the app & cannot be used for anything else. This is because unlike normal keyboard shortcuts they respond to quick multiple key presses, so for example pressing the 1 key twice quickly set the opacity to 11%, pressing 8 quickly followed by pressing 1 sets it to 81%, & so on. This makes it possible to set the opacity to any percent integer from 0 to 100%.

So it would seem that @colindun either did not press the ⌘ key when the 1 key was pressed or released it slightly before pressing the 1 key.

What exactly do you mean by "actual size" in the context of an image on a web page? For example, what is the actual size of either of these images? 1605799683_AcmeTruck.jpg.4104c6a0377428c41e92670ab781f935.jpg

1605799683_AcmeTruck.jpg.4104c6a0377428c41e92670ab781f935.jpg

The answer is they are both the same image & have exactly the same pixel size (708 × 338) but are just sized differently on the page.

By 'actual size' I mean that I'd like the view to be 100%, not fit to window.

2 hours ago, colindun said:

By 'actual size' I mean that I'd like the view to be 100%, not fit to window.

I do not know of any way to set that as a default but of course there is a (customizable) keyboard shortcut to set it to 100% after opening the file.

As for viewing the file at the same size as it will appear on a web page, there is no way for you to control that because different user agents (typically browsers) can & often do display page contents at different sizes & there is no way for you to force them to use any specific size. 

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...

Command + 1 shows the file at 100%, but having to to hit that every time I open a file is annoying. AP always opens a new file to fill the window.

I know that the 100% size is subjective depending on screen sizes, but that doesn't mean that a 'set 100% size on my screen' as the default view rather than the 'fill window' is a daft thing to want ;0}