You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working with fonts

Programs like Suitcase or NexusFont can install/uninstall fonts — a variant is to create/delete a link to the font's file in the font folder — when asked, or for Suitcase, working with app's plugins, when a document need some fonts.

Usually, you tell those apps where the fonts are stored (not installed fonts), and they can be stored in different folders. Once you need fonts, you can search them in the apps, and activate them or activate a folder containing many fonts.

Using those apps prevent installing too many fonts that will slow down your computer. The apps are easy to use, since they list all the fonts, you can search and install/uninstall fonts with few clicks. Some like Suitcase use plugins for different programs you can activate/disable, and they'll install/uninstall the fonts needed by those programs (when opening/closing a document, for example).

2 hours ago, benwiggy said:

Publisher works well with FontExplorerX, which will automatically enable required fonts in opened documents.

Yes, it kind of does, but it does not automatically update the preview of the font on the page. I activated a font in FEX, then used it in a AFPUB document, saved it, then quit Publisher. I then deactivated the font in FEX and reopened Publisher and the file I saved: The font preview shown is wrong and has a question mark in the font list. When I look into font properties, it is shown as OK and the font is indeed activated in FEX. But to be able to show a correct preview, I need to change the font, then change it back again for it to show, which is a shame. I hope for better integration or even better a plugin for auto-activation

I bet if you quit and reopened the Publisher file you would see the font correctly. 

I don't know this for sure but it seems that some programs open so quickly that FontExplorer has not had enough time to activate the font. Autoactivation works, just not quick enough.  

Yes, probably, but this is not what you want, would you? Ideally Affinity should update the appearance of the fonts when the are activated by a font manager. Auto-activation would be great, but I can work around this. But having to close and reopen a document is not great, especially when the font properties shows the font as OK, even when the appearance of the document is not. This could be a big problem when I receive documents where some fonts are replaced, but you don't see this at first, as it shows no error in the fonts panel... I hope they fix this behaviour!

I think it is the fault of the font manager. It is too slow activating the font. Old 32 bit apps like Pages 09 have no problem. Font Reserve (which I love and use) has always seemed slow in activating fonts. Activating 900 fonts (I admit, I am a font junkie) takes about 2 minutes. Activating one font is fast but not instantaneous. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.