You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.139 & 140 (Mac)

• Staff

A later release is now available here or pinned to the top of this forum

This thread is now locked

Please use Affinity Publisher's built in Auto-update feature to get this new beta or Click here to download the latest beta for macOS 

Purpose: General Testing
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above

Hi, we have a preview of build 139 (also called 140, see * below) for you. It is on Auto-update which we would like you to test, but it is also available as a manual download.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum. Many thanks for your continued feedback.

Fix List

Document Setup / Import
- (Windows) Fixed selection of a User Preset after editing
- Added Picas as a unit of measurement
- Fixed bleed labels for facing pages
- Fixed display of inner bleed guides in facing pages documents
- Fixed placing images from stock panel into picture frames in non-RGB/8 format documents

Document / Page Management
- Fix for master page objects not loading correctly, resulting in apparent loss of content / display issues
- Fixed various issues when symbols were used on master pages
- Document bleed is now applied correctly to newly created master pages
- Fixed crash when detaching a master page layer via Symbols Panel
- Fixed crash when attempting to apply a deleted master page

Tools and Menus
- (Mac) Moved View > Zoom to separate sub menu
- Added View > Preview Mode - hides all guides and applies 'Clip to Canvas'
- (Mac) Fixed Ctrl+Click in Swatches Panel
- (Mac) Fixed issue deleting Document Palettes 
- Fixed Pages Panel so that masters and pages cannot be selected at the same time
- Fixed Navigator Panel so it always displays current spread
- Added Colour Picker tool to keyboard shortcuts on Windows
- (Windows) Fixed persistence of the 'Automatically Update Linked Resources' option
- (Windows) Fixed issues resetting defaults from Preferences
- (Mac) Guide Manager lists are now sorted
- Implemented Cancel / Undo for multi-image import
- Added a textual description to the Fields Panel
- Fixed crash selecting 'Edit Mask'

Text
- (Mac) Fixed entry of Line Breaks (Soft Returns)
- Fixed issue with text input due to invalid Tool context selection after using e.g. Fill Tool
- Autofit frame to text now accounts for hidden overflow text
- Autofit frame to text now honours bottom text frame inset
- Fixed interaction of Paragraph decorations and first line indents
- Fixed general character counting hyphenation issues with multi-byte characters and ligatures
- Fixed hyphenation issues with dictionaries using encodings other than UTF-8
- Fixed character width issues with specific OpenType fonts
- List tab stops now calculate correctly if document has been re-scaled
- Text Wrap for Text on a Path now wraps correctly to the open curve
- Text ruler caret now handles document scaling correctly
- Fixed issue accessing multiple decorations when editing a text style
- 'No Change' text style options now inherit base style values when edited
- Fixed issue entering 0 value for text style options when set to 'No Change'

Find and Replace
- Prevented Find and Replace from being enabled if no search criteria specified
- Fixed glitch preventing Find and Replace with empty replace string

Font Manager
- Fixed 'Locate Font' not wrapping at end of document
- Ensured 'Locate Font' always selects the relevant text

Resources
- Fixed Resource Manager to open with currently selected image(s)
- Resource Manager commands are now initially enabled correctly when images are selected
- Prevented unwanted Embedded / Linked Policy switch prompt when updating linked images

Export / Printing
- (Mac) Fixed issue printing where blank pages were generated
- Fixed Print dialog preview not reflecting current N-Up settings
- Fixed issue printing with page range and Booklet imposition
- Fixed instance where Print > Layout Height and Width fields could be reported incorrectly
- Fixed issues where Export could remove previously exported file
- Fixed bleed for single page PDF export

and the fixes included in the previous patch #133

* The sole purpose of build 1.7.0.140 is to check autoupdate as described in this post and has no fixes or new features.This fixlist above of changes since 1.7.0.133 is the same list for builds 1.7.0.139 and 1.7.0.140

3 hours ago, Max Basok said:

by the way, can add sort of Preview Mode from InDesign, so you can hide all guides, grids, baseline, left&right studio at one click and look at your layout?

•  

I believe control + W does this, but it would be awesome if it was a teensy bit more obvious.

1 hour ago, coolieranx said:

I believe control + W does this, but it would be awesome if it was a teensy bit more obvious.

It takes both ctrl+W (or the new View > Preview Mode) and Tab to get everything that Max asked for, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @AdamW thank you s much for this update.
Will install and do some work on it then come back here.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Seems more stable, a little quicker and the improvements are nice. Early days though. [smiley-face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Lurien said:

Nice, but it looks like they still haven't fixed the awful subscript/superscript issue. Try using them for yourself if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Patrick will tell me off for responding in this thread, but please try the Superscript / Subscript options in the Character Tab under 'Positioning and Transform' which synthesize, rather than the OpenType options under Typography. Unless I have misunderstood your issue, in which case please start a new thread. That said we may have to do something about the typography options because they can be quite misleading.

• Staff

@sfillibeck

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Thanks for the feedback, glad you are enjoying it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@Kodacod 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Please post your bugs in a new thread not this update announcement, as these posts don't make support tickets. Thank you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I noticed that the main toolbar is different over by the snapping region. Was that change intentional?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
57 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

I noticed that the main toolbar is different over by the snapping region. Was that change intentional?

No, pressing and holding CTRL when you open the program brings up a reset dialog with the top 3 options checked. Pressing Clear with these set will restore the toolbar buttons I think.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

16 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

No, pressing and holding CTRL when you open the program brings up a reset dialog with the top 3 options checked. Pressing Clear with these set will restore the toolbar buttons I think.

It reset the workspace, but it is still different from the first few betas. I recall there being a third option to the left of the baseline option. I forget the actual name, but even if I customize the toolbar, it doesn't exist.

15843789_ScreenShot2018-10-05at11_03_50AM.thumb.png.6bb0c8199a50e8fdbeae3de25a6034cf.png

Seeing how this wasn't an intentional change, should I make a new topic on this?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
Just now, Bri-Toon said:

Seeing how this wasn't an intentional change, should I make a new topic on this?

No need for a new topic. It was an intentional change. We removed baseline grid from the main toolbar as it was not a sensible place for it. This lead to an odd icon showing (that was not meant to be there) that the reset has got rid of. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

A later release is now available here or pinned to the top of this forum

This thread is now locked

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd