You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove table cell borders

I've only been working with Publisher for a month, so I assume I'm missing something simple. 

How do I remove borders from a table cell? When I click & highlight the cell, and then go to Stroke in the upper right of my screen, I have options to add all kinds of borders to the cell, but no option for "no border". Also, double clicking a border option does not remove it - like if I click left border to add it and then click again to try to remove, no change. I'm trying to create a custom table with no outside borders and no inside left or right borders but the cells can't all be merged.

What am I missing? Thanks!!

21 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi JudyL,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Go to menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Table, check the Stroke and Fill section, select the type of borders you want to affect and set their stroke width to 0 (zero).

That works; but, could something more like Judy's method be added in addition to the steps you provided?  Her thoughts/actions seemed more intuitive.

Thanks!

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

On 10/1/2018 at 5:52 PM, JudyL said:

How do I remove borders from a table cell? When I click & highlight the cell, and then go to Stroke in the upper right of my screen, I have options to add all kinds of borders to the cell, but no option for "no border".

Are you talking about the Stroke panel that is part of the Studio, or where the word Stroke appears in the context toolbar? If the latter, then clicking on the stroke weight control should pop up a window that looks like the Studio panel. At the top of both is a section called Style with buttons for solid, dashed and textured lines. The first of those buttons should be None and will remove the stroke from the selected cell edges.

On 10/1/2018 at 5:52 PM, JudyL said:

Also, double clicking a border option does not remove it - like if I click left border to add it and then click again to try to remove, no change. I'm trying to create a custom table with no outside borders and no inside left or right borders but the cells can't all be merged.

Are you talking here about the Outside/Inside/All set of controls? These don't apply a stroke, they select cell edges. The stroke command will then affect the selected edges. You can toggle selected cell edges by clicking directly on edges in the table, holding CMD on Mac or Control on Windows. Sometimes it is easier to make multiple edge selections and change their stroke separately.

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2018 at 10:03 AM, MEB said:

Hi JudyL,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Go to menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Table, check the Stroke and Fill section, select the type of borders you want to affect and set their stroke width to 0 (zero).

MEB, I took your advice and had a very hard time changing the border stroke width from 0.5 to 0.0. Often I could not move the dial: sometimes because words popped up, other times because the window would close. It would be great if this feature worked consistently, or if I could change the numbers to accomplish the same. Thank you!

• Staff

Hi lurline.sweet,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Are you talking about the Stroke and Fill section in the Table panel? There has been several improvements in Publisher. Some previous information from this thread may not be accurate anymore.

Can you post a screenshot of the "dial" along with the panel/location you are referring to so we can try reproduce the issue you are describing? If all you want is remove the outside stroke (border) of a table in Publisher, here's how it's done:

remove_border_stroke.gif

Please consider changing your Forum username to something else to prevent spammers from harvesting your e-mail. To do it go here and set a new username or click your username in the top right of this forum's page, select Account Settings, click on the Display Name link on the left and change/set a new username (on the right).

• 5 months later...

I'm finding no way to remove strokes on horizontal borders. Or I should say, I've configured things such that there should be no stroke but they're still showing up. Ideas?

Really, I just wanna be able to select a table and disable all borders. Disappointed this is so difficult.

p.s. happy with the product in general, other than a couple things like this. Thanks!

Edited by Ed W

2 hours ago, Ed W said:

Really, I just wanna be able to select a table and disable all borders.

It could be a few things so could you just copy the table to a new document then upload that document to the forum and someone will be able to tell you exactly what to do

PS We don't need the contents of the table, just the table itself.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, Ed W said:

Really, I just wanna be able to select a table and disable all borders. Disappointed this is so difficult.

It should be reasonably simply using the Table studio panel. Select the complete table, then in the Table panel make sure none of the borders are selected. And for good measure you can set the border stroke to none. One tricky aspect: to see the effects of your changes, you need to click outside the table so it is not selected at all.

image.png.2210e0ede227e4a8f21ba2f17bbca52e.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 weeks later...

there really should just be a "disable all" button. i spent a solid 20 minutes last night trying to figure out why i still had a border on a cell, just to figure out i had to click on each individual type of border and clear the style. that's severely unintuitive

• 10 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 3:57 PM, MEB said:

A none/no border button would make things quicker, true, but it also adds more clutter to the interface.

I'm so sorry if this has been raised again since but I can't find it, if it has...

I have a huge document where I need to remove all borders from the tables. When they are applied directly to the table it doesn't appear that assigning a borderless table preset removes those which already exist.

Also, if you select multiple tables, you can't even make those changes, you seem to need to apply them one at a time to each table. I have MASSES to do.

A button/option may well add to the interface but it's only clutter if it's not required :0) I would love to see a way of QUICKLY removing ALL format from a selection, or removing only table formats or text styles... And more importantly if it were a menu item (like you get in Excel, for example) I could add a keyboard shortcut for it!

WT

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, Marty Vines said:

This method is not quite the same in affinity Publisher 2. Can someone add the instructions for the newer program?

Maybe I don't know exactly what you mean by "this method", but for me removing borders around cells works reliably even in APublisher V2.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.