You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo and Designer: Seamless tiles and infinite canvas

Hi all, I just had a quick look at photo beta and it looks great!

There are two features supported in Krita which I think would make fantastic additions to both photo and designer:

1: Tile mode (or "wrapping" mode). In this mode you can see the image/canvas repeated at least once beyond each edge and corner, and you can just draw off the edge and the drawing automatically wraps around to the other side. Ideally most of the built in effects and filters would also work properly with tiled mode, such as blurs, bevels, shadows, etc. This would be superb for making or working with seamlessly tiled backgrounds and game textures.

2: Infinite canvas. When you find yourself running out of space at one edge of the canvas, this feature would make it very easy to extend the canvas just in that direction.

Cheers,

Jules

• 2 months later...

+infinity for seamless tiles. That would be a great feature for us game designers and 3D texture artists. I would love to see seamless tiles in Photo and Designer alike.

JCLounge-- if you want to do an infinite canvas the way you described; in Photo you can use the crop tool then drag it outside the canvas area it will extend the canvas. 

Hi MEB thanks for your help. I tried the method you suggested, gradient tool-->bitmap, but the software crashed. I tried several times with different jpg images and crashed every time :(  

In my previous post I should have said that I want the ability to create tileable textures. To create them I would need a specific offset tool. My current method in photoshop is to create a document 400x400 then offset 200x200 and blend the area where the edges meet. I tried to use the AP mirror tool, but wasn't able to achieve the same results. 

I should probably post this in the feature request section. The mirror tool seems to be an intuitive place for me to look for an offset operation. If it already exists please let me know. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for seamless texture editing in AP and AD. (Vector tiling would be cool, too.)

The affine filter sort of does the job, but going back and forth, retiling/resetting the offset and

rescaling/checking how it tiles is really cumbersome. Try making a high resolution tree bark texture tileable.

While a nice outcome is perfectly achievable, much of the effort goes into fiddling with the affine filter.

Krita's approach reminds me of the live filters we have.

Here is how it's "supposed to" work in Krita. Unfortunately, the mac version just doesn't work properly.

• 8 months later...

+1 for seamless tile creation tools!

Yeah Krita's wrap around tool is great.

https://krita.org/item/new-wraparound-tool/

Also, Serif's own DrawPlus has the Relicate tool.  When used precisely, the replicate tool can be useful in creating seamless textures using vector tools.  I'm hoping to see an improved version of this tool in AD.

• 8 months later...

+1 for seamless tile creation in Affinity Designer in PixelPersona. I got so many fancy brushes now and making tileable textures with them would be absolutely brilliant. I did this in Krita with it's Wrap Mode, absolutely astonishing results there, but the brushes there are pretty limited (obviously because it's 100% free). You can download other sets or make your own brushes, but it's tedious and needs time. Having such feature out of the box in Affinity Designer would speed up Game Developing. But I guess in the end, I still have to use Substance Designer 5, but it will look more generic this way. Well, I can still dream and try to resurrect this thread ;P

It would be good if there was a function that split an image into quarters, then swapped each quarter with their diagonal neighbour. So you end up with the 4 joining corners meeting in the middle of the image. This area can then be worked on. Activating the function again would toggle everything back. A tile preview window would also provide live feedback of how the tiling would look.

Just use the Offset or Affine filter with 50% for both horizontal and vertical values...

It would be good if there was a function that split an image into quarters, then swapped each quarter with their diagonal neighbour. So you end up with the 4 joining corners meeting in the middle of the image. This area can then be worked on. Activating the function again would toggle everything back. A tile preview window would also provide live feedback of how the tiling would look.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

This would be nice, too:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ8SgTiZHJY"

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Just use the Offset or Affine filter with 50% for both horizontal and vertical values...

That works great for me.

Thanks.

High-End Photographic Prints

This would be nice, too:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ8SgTiZHJY"

Can't we already do that with symbols in AD 1.5?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2016 at 9:27 AM, Alfred said:

Can't we already do that with symbols in AD 1.5?

Sorry to resurrect this old thread... I was hoping to be able to do this, but no, symbols are not quite enough.  I tried setting up a 3x3 grid of symbols.  As expected, the paint does not "wrap" when you paint across the symbols.  I want this feature soooo bad.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...