You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

import SVG's use elements and symbols

I'm evaluating several editors for compatibility with my SVG patterns.

The short story of my use case assumes some technical knowledge of the SVG format.

I offer a growing collection with hundredths of patterns constrained by a grid and the rules of 2-in 2-out directed graphs. An example is attached. A pattern is defined with one <group> of <path> elements (imported as curves) and a set of <use> elements that repeat this <group> to build the pattern. These <use> elements are imported as copies of the group.

For my use case all these groups should be linked as symbols, but they are not imported that way. I also tried without the style attribute (with fill-opacity) on the <use> elements and without the group around the <use> elements, but that did not help. This way users of my patterns should reconstruct the pattern from one group. With all alignment issues that requires quite a learning curve.

Unless I'm overlooking a method to link identical groups as symbols after import, I would like more advanced support for SVG's <use> elements at import. Perhaps as an option for backward compatibility.  Same advanced support at export would be a bonus.

The long story of my use case is documented at
https://github.com/d-bl/GroundForge/blob/master/docs/help/Reshape-Patterns.md

2in-2out-graph.svg