You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text export to PSD

Hi guys,

So there's been many discussions about how exporting to photoshop is close to impossible, since it's a proprietary app an bla bla bla it's difficult and no one knows how. Not be an ass, but I don't believe that, I think this feature is not even on the to do list. This guy managed to do it https://www.photopea.com/

It's a free app, it's one guy behind it, and he managed to do it, and Serif can't? :)

18 minutes ago, chris.bannu said:

there's been many discussions about how exporting to photoshop is close to impossible

No, it isn’t about near impossibility, it’s about getting it to look correct.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'd rather tweak the friggin text a bit in photoshop directly, instead of exporting the text as pdf, opening it in illustrator, exporting it as an AI file, opening it in Fireworks, tweaking the text in FW, then importing it in Photoshop. This is the big picture, there are other details I didn't mention that take time. All of this because I hate Photoshop, and most UI designers do, that's why Sktch, Affinity and Figma are gaining so much notoriety. Well, mainly Sketch and Figma, none of my clients ever heard of Affinity unfortunately, and it's such a cool app. A bit buggy. but the other ones (except for Photoshop) are buggy too.

Application-specific formats are proprietary and subject to change at any time. (Ask anyone dealing with AutoCAD formats.) It's unrealistic to expect software vendors to match, object-for-object, construct-for-construct, the proprietary formats of their competitors. That's why open exchange formats exist, and robust compliance with those is what should be the responsibility of the competing vendors.

Do you also pressure Adobe to make Photoshop seamlessly export live text objects to Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer? No. Why? Just because Photoshop currently dominates the market. And yet you say you "hate Photoshop." Well, the object of your hatred will never stop dominating the market if everyone keeps insisting that everything else has to perfectly conform to it.

JET