You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double click on Designer files in iCloud open Photo app

When double clicking on desiger files in iCloud folder on mac, Affinity Photo will open. When trying to assign these documents to open with designer (by doing so in the information window for that file) I can not set designer to be the app, to be used when clicking. Please fix that, or tell me a solution for that, thanks.

• Staff

Hi @Kobold

When you "Get info", go to Open With > Other > Options and make sure you change the "Enable" to "All applications". If you have Designer installed, you would find it in the list. Choose Designer > Add , and then choose "Change All..."

Thanks,

Gabe. 

moved from bugs

By "iCloud folder" do you mean the 'badged' iCloud Drive folder that looks like this in the Mac Finder?
291136135_iCloudDriveAPfolder.jpg.2cc1dc5626ee9bb235457314c9ee3285.jpg

If so, I think that is a consequence of how Apple implements sandboxing for these special application-specific 'badged' folders. They can only be created on an iOS device running that specific iOS app, so for example for Photos or Designer, only supported iPad models running the iOS version of the Affinity app can create the badged folder.

Because sandboxing in iOS limits direct access to the contents of those folders to the app that created them (I suppose for security reasons), on a Mac, you can't circumvent that limitation by changing the default app that opens them to anything else -- that is 'baked into' every item in those folders, so to speak.

To workaround this Apple-imposed limitation, you can create one or more regular (unbadged) folders on your iCloud Drive, either on the Mac or in the iOS Files app, & move or copy files from the badged folder to one of those folders. I created several of these folders, with names like "Affinity Native files" (for afdesign & afphoto files) & "Affinity imports" (for afbrushes, afmacros, afstyles, & such), but you can use whatever scheme works best for you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7